Healthy Sleep

Nissan Navara D23 issues

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Ricof4e

Nissan Navara D23 issues

Post by Ricof4e »

I have come across a facebook group called Navara Klub SA and it was apparent that some owners have more than a few complaints about the new D23. Issues such as poor fuel economy, lack of power, shearing of loadbins, oil leaking from the intercooler and poor service seems to be the most predominant issues that are complained about.

Some of you may be aware that I since I bought my D23 in Oct 2017, I have complained about all of the above except the load bin issue. To recap, I noted the following:

1) When I bought the vehicle, it went like the clappers. It was quick of the mark and the combined fuel consumption was around 10-11km/l. If you drove like a granny, you could get 12km/l (according to the trip computer). I was happy with this. Regarding power, I could easily reach 190kph (according to the speedometer). For instance, and according to the trip computer, if I drove at 120kph, my fuel consumption was calculated at 12,4km/l. With the canopy and roofrack fitted, I got about 11,8km/l at that speed.

2) At approximately 5000km, I noticed an oil leak when I swept the garage floor. Upon further inspection, I found the leak. Took it in to Nissan and they reported it was an oil seal on the intercooler pipe which was faulty and was replaced with a new seal. This however did not solve the problem as the leak came back shortly after. Took it in again and they once again reported that they replaced the seal. I did notice that they replaced the whole pipe as I marked it prior to taking it in for the second time - hell I even went as far as to take pictures of the old one and compared it to the new one. Nissan however persisted that they only fitted a new seal. Problem was solved.

3) About four months later, I had it serviced. After the service, I did notice a lack of oomph and a higher consumption, but it did not bother me too much.

4) Since Oct 2018, and when I took off the canopy, the lack of oomph was still present. Being a laymen in mechanics, I cleaned the air filter which was quite dusty. Solved it I thought, but the problem did not go away.

5) It might be the dpf I thought, so I took it for a 30km drive and gave it the beans. Could hardly (and with much patience) reach about 175kph.

6) Took it in for Nissan to have a look, and they could not find any issues. Had them look at the clutch as well which became squeaky and felt like stepping on a sponge. They adjusted the clutch and the squeaky clutch was no more.

7) Shortly thereafter I went on leave to Swakopmund and towed my camping trailer. To be honest, the D23 towed well and gave me a combined consumption of 7,6km to 8,6km/l. I had it serviced at Swakopmund and no issues were reported. Apart from the service, the adjusted the handbrake. Where it would normally go up to 8 clikcs, they adjusted it to max out at 4 clicks.

8) One month later I had to go to Swakop again, this time without the trailer. Somewhere between Henties and Swakop, I was driving with the cruise control on - set at 125kph. Suddenly the car lost power and the CC disengaged. No warning lights. It easily accelerated to 2000rpm where after it would not exceed 3000rpms. I phoned Nissan and they told me to drive it to them. They reported that after plugging in their diagnostic computer, it gave off no warnings. Yet they traced the issue to a boost sensor failing - be way of deductive reasoning I presume. As the boost sensor failed, the second but larger turbo did not operate. They replaced the sensor. I silently hoped that it would also resolve the consumption and power issue, but apart from the aforementioned, the car was drive-able as always.

9) After I got back from Swakop, I took the car to an indy to run his diagnostics - no problems were apparent. Took it to Nissan, and they said they found four fault codes, one pertaining to "a inlet valvle" - but the head mechanic did not know what that was - I bullshit you not. However, they said they cleaned the plugs (what plugs?) and the codes disappeared. The vehicle was back to normal - so they said after taking it for a test drive. The consumption and power issues were not resolved.

10) In my idiocy, I surmised that I may get better power and fuel economy if the handbrake was adjusted to fall within the specs provided by Nissan. According to Nissan, the range must be between 8-9 clicks at about 20kg of force. Thereafter, and I do not know if it is my imagination, but fuel economy and power did increase slightly, but not nearly where it was when I bought it. It went from 9,8km/l to 10,5km/l at 120kph but still nowhere close to where it was initially.

That is a short summary of my D23.

In this time I have noted that the oil leak alluded to above is VERY common in SA, Nam and the land of AUS. I suspect that the issue might be traced back to that.

-Putting on my tinfoil hat- what are the odds that a manufacturer such as Nissan does not do a recall on a vehicle where 70% of the vehicles leak oil at a specific part (which in my opinion should not contain any traces of oil). Might it be possible that after noticing the problem, Nissan clandestinely fiddled with the ecu of the D23 to make sure that the engine runs well below its usual tolerances - until such time as they could repair the issue and manufacture the replacement parts?

The reason why I am asking this is that I am quite sure my Navara had all 450NM (or close thereto) when I bought it. But all changed after the first service. I am too afraid to put my D23 on a dyno as I fear it would not even generate 380NM of torque. If you look at the facebook group stated above, Nissan dealers have apparently taken new showroom floor D23s and had it tested on a dyno - it all measured between 350NM to 380NM. Again I ask you, could it be possible that Nissan noticed this problem in or about 2017/18 and silently recalibrated the ecu accordingly? That would explain why my D23 went like the clappers initially and after the first service it felt lethargic and had poor fuel consumption.

Doing what I do for a living, I am of the opinion that this D23 of mine may be riddled with latent defects. If my deductions are true, then it would amount to a negligent misrepresentation. On both these causes of action I may return the vehicle and get a refund.

What would you do? Here are some pics of the oil leak:

A= The culprit pipe

B= The joint where it leaked

C= The oil
Attachments
20171111_110851_LI.jpg
Last edited by Ricof4e on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Reenen

Post by Reenen »

Die bin kraak is op die d40, nog nie gehoor van kraak op d23

Reenen

Post by Reenen »

Oor die ander issues. Ek moan nog van dag een daaroor, en het al talle male openlik gesê ek sal nie n d23 koop voor dit reggestel is nie.z

Het by iemand van nissan gehoor daar is verskillende maps, en hulle weet al lankal dat die een by sa underpowered is. So ek stem saam met jou

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Reenen wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 am
Oor die ander issues. Ek moan nog van dag een daaroor, en het al talle male openlik gesê ek sal nie n d23 koop voor dit reggestel is nie.z

Het by iemand van nissan gehoor daar is verskillende maps, en hulle weet al lankal dat die een by sa underpowered is. So ek stem saam met jou
Dit is jammer as dit so is.

Ek vermoed die D23 het eers die volle krag gehad, en die maps op die voetuie is onlangs aan gekarring.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Reenen wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 am
Die bin kraak is op die d40, nog nie gehoor van kraak op d23
Dankie vir die regstelling.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Reenen

Post by Reenen »

Ek dink dit is bedrog om n voertuig te verkoop welwerend dat dit nie die krag maak wat geadverteer word.

My gat se deksel is die klomp mense wat altyd die foute wat hulle of ander ondervind, probeer wegpraat, want dit gaan herverkoop nadelig beinvloed.

Nissan het teen vrydag n antwoord beloof. Ek dink hulle besef die sosiale veldtog wat die paar van ons begin voer het, hulle gaan seer maak as hulle dit bloot onder die mat probeer vee.

Indien hulle dit nie aanspreek, verdien hulle nie om n enkele verdere d23 te verkoop (my opinie).

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Reenen wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 am
Ek dink dit is bedrog om n voertuig te verkoop welwerend dat dit nie die krag maak wat geadverteer word.

My gat se deksel is die klomp mense wat altyd die foute wat hulle of ander ondervind, probeer wegpraat, want dit gaan herverkoop nadelig beinvloed.

Nissan het teen vrydag n antwoord beloof. Ek dink hulle besef die sosiale veldtog wat die paar van ons begin voer het, hulle gaan seer maak as hulle dit bloot onder die mat probeer vee.

Indien hulle dit nie aanspreek, verdien hulle nie om n enkele verdere d23 te verkoop (my opinie).
As hulle dit nie aanspreek nie, en op die eerbare manier nie, gaan hulle beslis my as klient verloor. Ek ruil my D23 op 'n 3,0lt D-max vinnig in.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Reenen

Post by Reenen »

Voel net so

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Ek het vanoggend 'n skrywe aan Nissan SA gerig. Ek laat weet hoe hulle (indien wel) gereageer het.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Just received an e-mail from Nissan in which they acknowledged receipt of my mail.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

NEW

Post by NEW »

Die klink baie opwindend, nie dat ek jou misnoeë met die mense wil afspeel nie. Regtig jammer om te hoor. Niemand moet deur so iets gaan nie en dit behoort ongehoord te wees by enige nuwe voertuig wat nog die voertuie wat dieselfde as 'n huis kos.

Het jy gemik vir die nalatige wanvoorstelling met al die gebreke in jou skrywe? (Mooi op terme geplaas) Of was dit 'n vriendeliker weergawe?

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I have no sympathy for people who buy a Navara, Ranger or Hilux over a D-Max...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Manny, you forgot Fiat Fullback and Triton... or is that the same car
Flex is overrated

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The Fiat is a lot cheaper, so I can understand the 2 or 3 guys who buy them each month.

I have no issue with a guy buying a Triton - he has no taste -but that's his problem...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

My Hilux 2.4 has also lost power and consumption as it nears 100 000.

You did not mention millage or age of your problems starting.