4x4 Action Group

4WheelingSA

TV, Youtube, Online & other shows
Redman

Post by Redman »

Thanks Henk,

Not really sure why you are getting the flack here, pretty clear from your comments and videos what is going on. Enough to have a look and decide for yourself.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Thank you very much. Glad it is clear. At least people know what to look out for now.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I have just purchased the Flexopower 555 (Must I share the slip for this purpose?). Main reason I choose this is because the battery can be replaced (should be due in 1200 cycles).

So currently I have a generator at home that I use during load shedding. Fuel is about R500 per month (it is only to run the TV, Decoder, Laptop and Wifi and maybe charge a phone or 2). for the house I have these lights with build in batteries.

Ok, so what I want to use it for:
Loadshedding - to use the mentioned Items
Camping - I have batteries in the Bush Lapa to run the fridge and some lights as well as the water pump, so this will only be for charging cameras, drone, laptop.

My question will therefore be if it will last during a loadshedding stage (+/- 2.5 hrs)? Can it last longer? How much will it drain and can I charge it in time for the next stage?

For camping I will test it during the upcoming weekend at 3 Provinces - can I charge my electronic equipment during the weekend without having to charge the Flexopower inbetween?

I will be putting a full review video on YouTube, so would there be any specific questions or things you would like me to test?

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

A laptop is nominally around 2A. Decoder is 1.5A, LCD TV around the same, WiFi 1A and then a decent cellphone charger around 2A.

So let's say 15A draw.

The 555 is around 150Ah.
So I reckon 10 hours maximum on a fresh new battery at full load.

EDIT REASON: Laptops are 190W not 190A, my bad.............

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

They reckon it should take as long to charge as what it took to discharge fully at full load. "Only 2h re-charge time after a 2h load shedding period (typical user experience, can vary)."

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

That Flexopower, in my opinion, is a piece of crap.

My plumber does camping trips and wanted something for camp power, I recommended the Flexopower, this was about 4 years ago.
I think it was the 777, anyhoo, it was terrible.
Couldnt run his fridge, I think that none or some of the outputs don't function while it is on charge etc.

I made a box with a 8Ah gate motor battery and assorted outputs (Brad Harrison, Hella, USB etc) and that does a better job than his Flexopower did...

If I recall he went back to Flexopower and they were less than helpful.

To me its overpriced and you could make your own for far less, albeit in not such a nice funky carry box...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Don't know the Flexopower at all, but we use a Lalela in the office.

R7k at Builders. Runs a laminator, WiFi router, network hub, 2 x large TV monitors, 2 x laptops and several phone chargers for 2 hours.

https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/G ... k0EALw_wcB

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

I also tried a Flexopower 555 as it had the replaceable battery. For some unknown reason to me and their support team, my fridge wouldn't run on 12v socket. Their support team eventually said my fridge not supported so I had to send back but I have seen it work for others fine.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

PsyPhin wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:47 am
I also tried a Flexopower 555 as it had the replaceable battery. For some unknown reason to me and their support team, my fridge wouldn't run on 12v socket. Their support team eventually said my fridge not supported so I had to send back but I have seen it work for others fine.

As I said - it's crap...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Looking forward to test it. Will be in line with my requirements. For me it does not have to run a fridge (for that I have 2 batteries in the Bush Lapa), will mostly be electronics. For me to run my fridge I will need a cable to can plug into the sig lighter.

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Mad Manny wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:58 am

As I said - it's crap...
And very overpriced in my opinion.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Can anyone maybe please help me with the cost of the following for comparison purposes:
MPPT Controller
DC DC charger
AC DC charger
Lithium - use 50Ah
500W Pure Sinewave inverter
Battery box
4 USB charging points
Display (to show battery state etc)
Relevant cabling

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

So this weekend things went a bit pear shaped...

We were on our way to 3 Provinces for the weekend. Close to Standerton the Fortuner started behaving strange. The revs would randomly jump up from 2500 to 3000. As if something is slipping. In Standerton when pulling away the revs would jump high, but with the feeling of struggling to pull away. We stopped and when I got out I smelled the clutch. We decided to turn around and head back home. I was sure that we should ate least be able to reach home.

About 30 km outside Standerton there was no power going to the wheels. Had to stop next to the road in the dark and it was pouring down... This was around 19:30. Not a good situation to be in with the family in the car. I mean who do you call? The vehicle was going nowhere, not even slow (it was so bad that I could put it in a gear and it would just idle). Getting out again I could smell the clutch. It was obvious, it was gone completely. Question then was who should you call? Not really a lot of people around Standerton that I know... Ended up calling the Tuff Stuff emergency line. Man, were they good. "No problem sir, where do you need to go, how many people are in the car? We will arrange for you to be picked up and dropped of at HOME." Within 30 minutes TS arranged everything. The tow truck with a vehicle to take us home arrived at 20:45. Put the Fortuner on the low bed and hooked up the bush lapa and a driver took us home. We arrived home at 23:30 and the Fortuner and Trailers was there at 00:30.

Next morning I had to make a plan to get the Fortuner to a Toyota dealership. It is now at Monument Toyota Constantia. Hopefully I will get feedback today. It has an extended warranty (car has 71,000 km on), but not really sure if it will cover this. A bit of a waiting game now...

Not sure how this will turn out further, will update the thread as we get feedback... I think the feedback will include me having to fork out something for a new clutch...

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Toyota will claim abuse from an overloaded vehicle and trailer combination, ESPECIALLY if you have overloaded the trailer like most campers do.