4x4 Action Group

2 Rivers trip

General / Off Topic chat
Martin de Jager

2 Rivers trip

Post by Martin de Jager »

With the club being so quiet, and recovering from being sick, I needed to get out. Anton Bodenstein, advertised a trip doing the 2 River trip with Tony Yeo, I jumped at the opportunity.
I set a new challenge to myself, I had do it in my Jimny. Having done the previous club River trip, this time in my Fortuner, the mods done on my Jimny needed to be tested.
The plan was to leave on Thursday 16th at 04h45, it was pretty cold. we met one by one on route. Myself , Tony, Anton and some of Antons friends, six 4x4 in total. Outside Polokwane we met two couples from Piet Retief in two massive Cruisers.
The vehicles list the two Cruisers, a Fortuner(Tony) D/c Hilux v6, Anton in his mighty Isuzu D300, and Jaco in a D280, Paul in a new GEN 4 Jimny, and myself in my Jimny. Size does matter.
We set off in the direction of Lydenburg, then entered the trust area , on the Motala4x4 route, destiny the Orri Baragwanath Pass, a pass built by hand, climbs to 1370 meter, scenic but not that difficult,
We had our first stop at a newly developed caravan park, set in the most beautiful forest Lekgameetse Nature Reserve, it was a very cold night, my set-up was going to be tested.
Driving a Jimny, space challenged, I used an old tent, sleeping bag, bought when my kids were small, for small people, two blankets a thin thing called a mattress.
It was a cold long night.
The following morning we set off in convoy, I bumped my Jimny against Anton spare wheel, shit happens. We visited the old mining town Leydsdorp, then the big Boabab Tree, we travelled mostly on gravel, till we drove into the Eiland Caltex Garage. Filled up, and entered the Molototsi around 13h00 on the Friday.
The river experience remains fun, we had to force our way to stay in the river, The mighty Jimny now came to the fore, his driver loves the challenge, Time to test the new rear TRE Air locker. What a pleasure.
We drove up to the Island and actually witnessed two Hippo, we had a pleasant and not to cold evening.
the following morning we set off, ready to cross the Molototsi, this time a little bit deeper than last. My Jimny showed the route, i crossed first then Anton, I returned to assist Paul, showed him a second time, the Gen4 Jimny went in and got stuck. Tony , the Cruisers and other bakkies got through. The Jimny drowned and we got the excess water out.
We set off to the Klein Letaba, again a lot more reeds and more water than before.
We slept the second night in the river and packed the Sunday to return home.
The shocker of the trip, the Jimny was awesome, kicked some serious ass, small or not, but not the most frugal. Put it this way, overload a square object, 3 inch lift, 29inch tyres, heavy foot, heavy driver, then travel above 4500rpm to keep up with big boys, then 8.53km/l is realistic but heavier then most. Damage for the trip over R3600.00. Eina
Attachments
DSC_1142.JPG
DSC_1210.JPG
DSC_1192.JPG
DSC_1160.JPG
DSC_1144.JPG
DSC_1136.JPG
DSC_1135.JPG
DSC_1105.JPG
DSC_1196.JPG
DSC_1246 (3).JPG
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Brutus, (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

https://youtu.be/-N4odMRORfw and https://youtu.be/tNoM9zMFnKE, my view of the two crossings of the Molototsi.
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Brutus, (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Thanks Martin.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Great write-up Martin. Seems you properly enjoyed the outing!
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the report Martin.