Erin Bosch, Insurance

Lebombo Eco-trail 2021,

Open Events arranged on the Forum that are not Club Events
Martin de Jager

Lebombo Eco-trail 2021,

Post by Martin de Jager »

The Lebombo Eco Trail is a 5-day (4 night) outdoor adventure spanning a great part of the Kruger National Park.

I am planning a very special trip, only 5 vehicles are allowed on a trail at one time to ensure that the environment is not unduly affected and to afford groups some exclusivity.A ranger from the park, who leads the convoy in his own vehicle, accompanies each group. Regular stops are made by the ranger to interpret aspects within the environment or to share special experiences. Usually, three camps are visited whilst driving up North to refuel, replenish food supplies and to allow tourists the opportunity to shower!

Logistical Information
Five four-wheel drive vehicles will be allowed to participate at a time with up to four participants per vehicle. Each vehicle must be fully equipped with tent, water containers, gas bottles, cooking equipment etc. This is a self-catering activity, usually three camps are visited en route north for fuel, water and showers. The camps usually visited are Lower Sabie, Olifants and Shingwedzi.

A highly experienced trail leader will accompany trail-goers for the duration of the trail, offering safety and an unparalleled bush interpretation that covers geology, biology, botany as well as historical and cultural information.

Starting and Ending of Trail
The trail starts at Crocodile Bridge every Sunday and ends at Pafuri on Thursday at about 12:00. Please report promptly at Crocodile Bridge at 09:00 on the day of departure. Please check that the vehicles are ready for the trip, ensure that everyone has signed an indemnity form (which can be collected from the reception), vehicles are filled with fuel and trail-goers are present for a short debriefing from the trail leader. Delayed departure’s should be avoided so that more time can be spent enjoying the wilderness.

Route
You start off by driving to the eastern boundary where you will have a magnificent view of the Crocodile and Komati rivers, meeting at the border of South Africa and Mozambique. From there it is up a steep hill and across to Lower Sabie along the eastern boundary. Some of the trail runs along the eastern boundary, but this does not deter from the beautiful scenery of wide, open spaces, bushveld on both sides and many magnificent trees. East of Lower Sabie is the first of four unfenced camping sites, each with its own unique and natural feel. Two Enviro-loos (mobile toilets with no chemical component) are provided at each of these, one for ladies and one for gents. Each site has its own unique bush character as they have been left as undisturbed as possible.

The departure time from the camping sites varies depending on the season but will be no later than 07:00 in the morning. Each day is filled with a variety of experiences - from seeing different animal spoor, animals, plant species and birds to dense bush. It ends with the green, "fairytale" scene at Pafuri picnic spot.

The trail is quite exceptional, starting where two countries meet and ending at the joining of a third (South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique). This "meeting place" takes part in the famous Crook’s Corner area in the north. The trail's duration is four nights and five days.

This is not an obstacle course or a testing ground for four-wheel drive vehicles. The participants on this trail will be true bush lovers and ones who enjoy the wilderness.

Take Note
A maximum of 20 persons (4 persons per vehicle), may participate per trail.
No persons over the age of 65 may participate in the trail.
No children under the age of 12 will be allowed.
All participants have to complete an indemnity form before embarking on the trail. These forms should be handed to the trail ranger before departing on the trail.
The general rules and regulations of the Kruger National Park also apply to trailists.
Trailists depend on the trail ranger for their safety and for guidance. The trail ranger must therefore be obeyed at all times. Failure to co-operate in this respect could lead to the immediate cancellation of the trail.
For safety and ethical reasons excessive consumption of liquor is strongly discouraged.
Trailists provide their own food, liquor and soft drinks.
Malaria Prophylactics are essential - please consult your chemist.

So I am testing the waters, aiming at a very exclusive group, planning well ahead, 2021! who would be interested. Pure and proper 4x4's only and rooftop tents or proper off road caravan's.
Attachments
lebombo1.jpg
lebombo2.jpg
lebombomap.jpg
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Brutus, (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Cost?
Flex is overrated

Martin de Jager

I am not sure yet, indicated R6k per vehicle, will make contact and quote a more exact cost.
2019 Invader Duo.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

i have been wanting to do that trail for ages. Count me in. Cost & time of year dependant.

Mike-PS

Post by Mike-PS »

Interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renier_c

Post by Renier_c »

Would also like to go!!

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Yes, I’d be keen to go.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

henris

Post by henris »

It is a total mind shift to game viewing. It is more nature viewing than game viewing.

But yes, one of the trips that you must do.

Sent from my SM-J400F using Tapatalk

LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

LX

Post by LX »

Very interested, but I dont have a RTT or off road caravan and not planning to buy them anytime soon.
Mr LX
2008 HUMMER H3 Adventure +
2023 LX1 Off-Road Camper Trailer
www.kgobisa.com | info@kgobisa.com

Woolf

Post by Woolf »

Also interested but seems I’m excluded as I am 65. Not sure why this makes a difference. :( :(

Martin de Jager

Morning all, as stated they have strict rules on this route,
https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/t ... otrail.php

ake Note
A maximum of 20 persons (4 persons per vehicle), may participate per trail.
No persons over the age of 65 may participate in the trail.
No children under the age of 12 will be allowed.
All participants have to complete an indemnity form before embarking on the trail. These forms should be handed to the trail ranger before departing on the trail.
The general rules and regulations of the Kruger National Park also apply to trailists.
Trailists depend on the trail ranger for their safety and for guidance. The trail ranger must therefore be obeyed at all times. Failure to co-operate in this respect could lead to the immediate cancellation of the trail.
For safety and ethical reasons excessive consumption of liquor is strongly discouraged.
Trailists provide their own food, liquor and soft drinks.
Malaria Prophylactics are essential - please consult your chemist.

No persons under 12.

So as you can see, due to natural dangers , its age restricted.
2019 Invader Duo.

henris

Post by henris »

Yes there is wild camping and kids are easy pickings for preditors.

The elderly can not hear to well as well as eyesight is impaired. Liability for the group.

But, listen to the guide and be careful of distractions, like phones, in the dark. You get absorbed in the phone and wander from the group. Then you endanger everybody. Not just yourself.

LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Mike-PS

Post by Mike-PS »

That’s a bit dramatic Henri
I’ve done to 4 day hike in the Kruger - fully self sufficient and it’s very relaxed. As long as you are aware and take the necessary precautions - you’ll be good

henris

Post by henris »

Well, take it with a pinch of salt if you have to. But you are not alone. There are others to consider

LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

I heard one can take a 4x4 caravan with, count me in if so
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4