4x4 Action Group

Passes Trip 2018: Passes of the Eastern Cape

Official 4x4 Action Group Events
For Club Members Only
KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Is the payload of the Fortuner sufficient to handle that load?
Flex is overrated

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Martin did a great job organizing a very good trip. Thanks for all the time and effort. Manny did not get half the staff doppe he was supposed to get because some people took pity on him.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

AndreasR wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:28 pm
Martin did a great job organizing a very good trip. Thanks for all the time and effort. Manny did not get half the staff doppe he was supposed to get because some people took pity on him.
And the hotel closed the pub before we could buy Manny a "thank you" dop.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I regret buying you ingrate bastards that coffee & Melktert at Tiffendal.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Martin, Paul, Victor and I did Sani Pass on the last day. It was a pleasant drive with steep gradients but the pass itself is in good condition. The approach road prior to starting the pass itself is not in as good shape but nothing hectic. The “pub/restaurant/hotel” at Sani Top is quaint and a nice place to spend a little time enjoying the view. We had toasted Sammie’s and coffee.

Paul continued through Lesotho to Clarens for his overnight stay.

The others went back down Sani and then took the Lower Loteni road hugging the mountains all the way around Lesotho, eventually joining the Wintertin Bergville road at about 15h30. Victor managed to shake a jerrycan of fuel from his saddle bag contraption somewhere along the way. I stayed over in Bergville, Victor headed back to JHB and Martin stayed over with family in Bethlehem.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

We must also thank “the novice” aka Paul for his valuable assistance with the navigation on the trip.

Just one thing Paul. You are now no longer a novice. You are now an ou man so no hiding behind the novice tag any longer. 🤣

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

AndreasR wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:58 pm
We must also thank “the novice” aka Paul for his valuable assistance with the navigation on the trip.

Just one thing Paul. You are now no longer a novice. You are now an ou man so no hiding behind the novice tag any longer. 🤣
Might not be a total novice anymore but still have a lot to learn. The importance of being involved with a club like the 4X4AG was highlighted with all I learned on this trip. You get to experience how 4X4ing should be done form helpful and knowledgeable guys.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

It sounds like a great time.

There have been a few mentions of Paul's suspension issues - what exactly was the matter - purely for interest sake. If Manny could identify the issue, it must have been something obvious, like a shock dragging on the road or a missing coil spring :twisted:
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

ThysleRoux wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am
It sounds like a great time.

There have been a few mentions of Paul's suspension issues - what exactly was the matter - purely for interest sake. If Manny could identify the issue, it must have been something obvious, like a shock dragging on the road or a missing coil spring :twisted:
The shocks on my recently acquired Disco were on their last legs at the start of the trip it turned out. As I had done hardly any sand road driving before the trip the problem hadn't been identified. From day 1 of the trip the shocks performance got worse with each section of corrugated or pot-holed sand road. The slow stuff was fine but anything over 60 km/h on the sand road became a game of chance. By the end of the tour it was more like driving a 1950's Cadillac than a Disco on rough stuff. I'm looking at my options for replacing the shocks and will be selling a lot of the Suzuki SJ410 spares I have to finance the upgrade on the Disco.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

Thanks for the update Paul
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

Manny, did we hurt your feelings, hey we only speak the truth, without you the tour would be very quiet, so predictable, Ernie would have fallen asleep as sweeper of the convoy. Thankyou that Melktert was a real winner, the coffey calmed some nerves after we completed Ben Mcdui.
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Brutus, (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Martin de Jager

On a positive side, nine couples that toured together for the first time, all went well, we ended up closer, friends more than just club members.

As tour organiser and leader of the pack, I knew some of the route, some new. Bastervoedpad was the most unbelievable pass, what a view, really scenic, Teenahead allowed you to see the mountain ridge from a different angle, most beautiful drop offs, this is the divide between the Witteberge and Drakensberge.
We saw a Bearded Vulture, or know as a Lammergeier, an adolescent, yet still a really big bird.

Pitseng Pass was a beautiful pass, nothing special, Ongeluksnek I believe was the unknown because of its name, easier than expected, again some rain and the conditions will be a lot different.

Then Sani, stunning view but no challenge at all, we all agreed its overrated,
Ben McDui, really tested the nerves and was by the most challenging, a view to remember, although it was my second time to drive it.

Thankyou everyone that made this the success we all agreed, we will learn from the mistakes made, the next will be better.
2019 Invader Duo.

Striker63

Post by Striker63 »

Really stunning thread and great write up's guys, you have managed to capture our attention for 5 whole pages, but even more so teased us so we want to go as well, I have in my youth done all the passes bar the tennahead, tiffendell one, but not with a group, and i think that what makes such a trip special.....Shrek is being upgraded as we speak, turbo for speed to keep up, 120 lt water tank in case of overheating, extra seat in the back for the bush mechanic... ja think i have it all covered now, look forward to the next adventure.........

Martin de Jager

Colin, thanks believe the days was too short, every day we had to rush and just managed to reach the next sleep over just before dark...
2019 Invader Duo.

Martin de Jager

One of the best tours, an epic tour to remember, all will agree it took us to places, others will only dream of.
https://youtu.be/5bGmU3YFLLY
2019 Invader Duo.