Healthy Sleep

CANCELLED - 2020 Northern KZN Camping Trip

Official 4x4 Action Group Events
For Club Members Only
KurtG

CANCELLED - 2020 Northern KZN Camping Trip

Post by KurtG »

What? Northern KZN Camping Trip

Where? Utshwayelo Kosi Mouth Lodge & Camp, exactly 638km from Lonehill in, you guessed it, Northern KZN. See map below and refer to https://kosibay.info/ for more details of the venue and surrounds.
Map.PNG
When? 26 April 2020 – 01 May 2020 (5 nights in total). We will arrive on Sunday 26/04 and drive back on Friday 01/05. This gives the Landy drivers time to get there and back over multiple days and time to pack and unpack.

Why? Because many of us have never been to this part of Southern Africa before, and it’s close to Moz

Who? All paid up club members and their families

What’s the plan?
- The club will group-book the camping sites for 10 vehicles (LIMITED) (Increased to 15 max in January 2020) and then we will camp here as a base and do day trips around the area (more details to follow).
- You HAVE to commit to the full 5 days, we will only accept the full payment, no part payments and staggered dates. If you want to add extra days, you will still pay to the club for the full 5 days and settle the rest directly with the venue.
- There is other accommodation available but if you intend using it please deal directly with the venue, the club will not be managing chalet bookings at all.

What are the Costs?
- R1100 ages 13 and up, PER PERSON.R540 for kids aged 6 – 12, PER KID. Kids 5 and under are free.
- A 50% deposit is required by 14 February 2020. No payment, no booking. This deposit is non-refundable, but it is transferrable to other club members.

What now?
- Work out your costs based on the number of people attending, pay the 50% deposit into the club account with reference “Forum name” followed by NKZN i.e. Manny NKZN or Paul#25 NKZN by 14 Feb 2020.
- Post on this thread that you have paid and for how many.
Account Details: Nedbank Fourways, Account holder: 4x4Action Group, Account Number: 1051513812 (Current Account), Branch Code: 168-405

What else?
- Bring Medical aid card and contact numbers;
- Ponta Do Ouro visit: your passport and vehicle registration document is required (non-South Africans need a Mozambique visa which is available at the border);
- Children require unabridged birth certificates for RSA residents only;
- Provisions: almost all you need is available in Manguzi (20km away), except delicacies;
- Water is from a borehole and is drinkable from a tap. Filtered water is available in the kitchen.

Activities?
- Snorkeling and fishing at the Kosi Mouth.
- 4x4 day to bunga nek and Black Rock.
- Day visit to Ponta for Prawns and 2M.
- Day trip to Tembe Reserve (big 5 4x4 reserve with the world's biggest Tuskers).
- 3 Lake boat cruise (half day).
Flex is overrated

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

1. Paul#25 - 2 adults - paid
2. BillyH - 2 adults - paid
3. Renier_c - 2 adults - paid
4. Bugger - 2 adults - paid
5. LX - 2 adults - paid
6. Owen - 2 adults - paid (withdrawn)
7. Mike-PS - 1 adult - paid
8. Henri Steyn - 2 adults - paid
9. AndreasR - 2 adults - paid
10. Dirk - 2 adults - paid
11. BushWacker - 1 adult - paid
Flex is overrated

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Payment of full amount of R2200.00 made for Susan and I.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

BillyH

Post by BillyH »

Lynne & I are in.

Payment will be made next week.

2M will be avoided at all costs. Disgusting stuff
Membership # 0373 since 21 May 2015

Quack

Post by Quack »

Tempted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a life?!?😜

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Quack, a little secret:

This event was arranged only for you.

If you don’t pitch, I’m cancelling it
Flex is overrated

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

PD

Pls add Me and Renay to the List
Last edited by Bugger on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Quack

Post by Quack »

I feel the pressure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a life?!?😜

Renier_c

Post by Renier_c »

Payment of full amount of R2200.00 made for Madelein and I.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Here is some info for those who prefer to travel at a more leisurely pace especially when towing long distance as well as the other Landy drivers.
We did a trip down to Hluhluwe in October this year and traveled the same route to the North Coast.
1) From Jo-burg to Bethal, the N17 is a better route than the N12 as it is slightly more direct.
2) Piet Retief is a good half-way stop if you would prefer to split the trip over 2 days as we did on our October trip. From Edenvale to Piet Retief is about 320 km and traveling at 100 km/h as I do when towing the caravan took almost 4 hours. There are two places to camp in Piet Retief, Sundowner Lodge (http://www.sundownerpietretief.co.za/ ) and Waterside lodge (https://www.sacampsites.co.za/Camping%2 ... ide-lodge/ ). We stayed at Sundowner last trip and will most likely try Waterside Lodge this time.
3) From Piet Retief to where you turn off the N2 at Umziki Chalets, it is mostly single lane each direction and can be slow / frustrating going when stuck behind trucks which there are always a lot of on this route. Google maps gives the distance from Piet Retief to Kosi Mouth as 300 km with a time of 4 hours 11 minutes but I recon you can easily bank on closer to 5 hours from my experience.
4) the condition on the N2 is a lot better when you enter KZN but there are lots of 80 km/h and 60 km/h zones where it passes through villages. At places there are even speed-bumps to catch out the unwary as well as lots of law enforcement with speed cameras to keep you safe.
Towing our caravan with the Disco can be an expensive exercise if I travel at 120 km/h as it drinks diesel like a V8 at that speed. At a steady 100 km/h the fuel consumption is more acceptable and the more leisurely pace makes for a less stressed drive. We will be stopping at Piet Retief on the trip down to Kosi and back home like we did on the previous trip. We don't do a full unpack and setup of the caravan with stops like this, we just move enough stuff around to get to the bed.
Hopefully my ramblings here will be helpful to those joining this trip.
Last edited by Paul#25 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Thanks Paul, very helpful. Keep the advice coming if you have info on the area to share.
Flex is overrated

Quack

Post by Quack »

I don’t want this event to be cancelled! I’ll pay my dues next year, as long as Manny reminds me again!

I will think of a creative ref on my deposit slip just to irk the organisers!
What a life?!?😜

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

KurtG wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:24 am
Thanks Paul, very helpful. Keep the advice coming if you have info on the area to share.
Unfortunately we didn't venture this far North but stayed around Hluhluwe and St Lucia.
I can make contact with Riaan VW from the other forum for good info as he grew up in this area and lives in Richards Bay. He met up with us and showed us around while we were there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Quack, just use RT2018 as your reference like the Glamping Queen did for a trip that wasn't a River Trip and wasn't in 2018...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

Kurt, this looks like an epic trip, especially the visit to Ponta and Tembe Reserve.
I can't say for sure now, all depends on the Marikana project.
Book the "Glamping Queen" as tentative for now please, I will definitely know by end January...
VW Amarok V6