Erin Bosch, Insurance

Event Poll - Thread One of Two

Official 4x4 Action Group Events
For Club Members Only
KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Hi Manny. Here is my contribution.

The vibe I’m getting from the members is that most (not all) guys are not interested in damaging their vehicles or going extreme.

So to get attendance up we need to cater for the “part time 4x4er” more. The extreme stuff serves a purpose and we have guys that enjoy that so that option must definitely remain.

My proposal is for more days out in or near Gauteng/NW and even into Mpumalanga. This can include camping for a night or two or just a braai afterwards although a night camping after a day out is preferred to avoid having to trek home after a beer or three.

So as I have discussed on the committee chat, something like that is forthcoming, I just need to finalize the plans and launch the thread.
Flex is overrated

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Rabbidog - excellent suggestions.

Johannes - just tell us what you prefer, not what you regret not attending, but what types of events are your preference?
Flex is overrated

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

(... further to my earlier post No. 11 ...)

So I will make a list of possibilities here
(no order) and add to it over time .
Some of these recommendations derive from prev things Ive done and found of value.

* Perhaps an off road trail tied to another
event eg I was going to propose we do something in the South (BloemhofDam or Vredefort ?) and then attend Nampo
... camping nearby : 2 night camper
maybe meeting up with rural members?

*have one day modules / workshops with
speakers etc on different topics:
Overlanding
Mechanicals etc
GPS and navig
BushCraft
etc etc

* Link up for events more with clubs around us
Jeep guys
LRoC
Nissen
Pajero
etc

* More Route trips like Karee Trail that
Hedgehog org few times prev ?

* may edit/add to this list in due course...
Last edited by BushWacker on Thu May 23, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Gee S

Post by Gee S »

I would love to do some of the longer trips like Richtersveld or Blouberg. My wife however only get leave from mid Dec to mid Jan so that effectively eliminates me from these trips as I wont do it without her.
I like day trips and weekend camping trips with mild trails or sight seeing routes that are no more than 2 hours away in order to reach the destination before dark. If further than that it means taking a days leave for me to be ready to leave when the wife get home at 15:30.

I dont want to do extreme trails or trails where there is a high probability of damaging my vehicle.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

So basically your question is lowly being answered. Let me try and summarize.

300 odd views. 18 replies, including yours. Apathy.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Personally I think the committee does an excellent job in trying to cater for all the different interests in the club. You cannot cater to everyone’s whim.

The major problem is that noteveryone’s interests are the same. Not everyone has the same amount of leisure time. Not everyone has the same amount of spare cash to spend on trips. People also have many different commitments with children and family. Not all wives want to go camping with a bunch of beer swilling guys every month where the only topics of conversation are tyres, bash plates, mods, cars and Roman Emperors.

Personally I am keen on almost any outing except trails which I find exceedingly boring. That does not mean that other people should not organize to do trails and enjoy them.

Weekends away, longer trips and training are all good ideas in my book. Unfortunately one day get togethers don’t really work as we all live quite far apart and the drinking and driving thing is quite a deterrent. To take an Uber is expensive for most and adds considerable cost to a lunch,dinner or braai.

My thanks to the committee for arranging all the outings. I know how much hard work it is.

Gee S

Post by Gee S »

Well said Andreas, especially on the committee doing an excellent but in many cases an un appreciated job

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I think, to many members, the perfect event should be held in a work week, start on a Monday, where we all meet at, say, Gariep.
You drive via Musina to Baboons pass, which you drive up & then down.
The trip must be priced at R20 000.

Then they can not attend & say;
It's too far.
Too extreme for me.
Can't get leave.
Kid's school activities.
Too expensive.
My Petrol engined 4x4 which I brag about costs too much to drive more than 30m.
I'm scared.
Next time.

I think, if we try too hard to cater for all, it makes it difficult for them to make up excuses.

The best one recently was "Sorry, I didn't see the Thread, ignored the e-mail, haven't bothered to join the announcements group and acted stupid when it was discussed in front of me - so I didn't know about it."...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Panda

Post by Panda »

For me personally i should not comment. But here goes.

As we do not live in Gauteng it becomes difficult for us to attend every and all events in Gauteng and north of Gauteng as the travel time gets too much for a weekend. Like Blouberg, i would have to leave before 8am on Sunday to make it back home before dark. But that is my problem. Luckily Baboons pass trip is closer to me.

Personally i like the setup of events as it caters for all. From camping weekends to long over landing trips. From mild 4x4 to Baboons pass. Thus there is something for everyone.

Keyboard warriors seems to be the big issue especially in the complaints department. First offer assistance with a trip/event or come with a suggestion. We as members can't leave everything in the hands of the committee and then bitch if we are not satisfied. Dates are given timously so make your plans in advance and stick to it. Yes the schools doesn't take any personal plans into consideration.

Well done to the committee i salute you.

grips

Post by grips »

Like Panda distance is my problem. I try to join an event or two during the year. There are some trails in the Gauteng Area which I would love to do.
Maybe make a long weekend and do them.

I really did enjoy the outings that I were able to attend. To the organizers of outings and committee members who arrange these outings welldone.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

Andreas I agree with you on all your points.

I don't do day trails any longer because it seems I buggered this up for most of you on this forum
Did Briekmerk with a Amarok that was according to everyone extreme and after the 2.0l Amarok did it flawlessly there are no longer Briekmerk events and I hear it is now a Grade 2 obstacle. Watch the same will now happen to Hells hoogte.

Only joking Manie, I like what is on offer regarding overlanding but you all know why I did not attend any one this year round.
Now that I am rigged again Moz was canceled so WTF.

If I had my caravan/trailer when you did the Richterveld I would have definitely joined.
Work also not always allow me to just book and go.

You guys are actually doing good so what is all this bitching and fuss about?
VW Amarok V6

LX

Post by LX »

Johannes wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 pm
LX wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:08 pm
One day Event,
Braai up the Mountain in Pretoria, the path is pretty messed up, so it will double up as an Extreme event for Fortuners, Mitsu's and LRs. (R80 Theomartinspoort)
:lol: :lol: Does the Humvee battle up there :shock: Been there a few times ;) In a Landy :P Jaco Jeep also goes there quite a lot !!
Not at all, I only went up once with the H3, but a lot of times with my Previous Hilux.
Mr LX
2008 HUMMER H3 Adventure +
2023 LX1 Off-Road Camper Trailer
www.kgobisa.com | info@kgobisa.com

LX

Post by LX »

Is the a 4x4 track at ATKV Buffelspoort? and how is it? Maybe we can do the Potjie Cookout/Bring and Braai there/
Mr LX
2008 HUMMER H3 Adventure +
2023 LX1 Off-Road Camper Trailer
www.kgobisa.com | info@kgobisa.com

Anthony Forgey

Post by Anthony Forgey »

I think its impossible to please everybody.

if you add more day trips it wont be good enough

if you add more longer events, it also wont be good enough

I think Kurt's statement about people not wanting to damage their vehicles has good merit. you really need to aim at the average guy with a double cab bakkie who has a young(ish) family.

So, milder weekends away which allow for driving and kuier time,maybe within and hour or so drive from Centurion

then keep the quarterly "extreme" trail for idiots like me

it does appear that the tour type events have been successful too.

Rabbiddog RIP 7/6/21

Post by Rabbiddog RIP 7/6/21 »

My list of what I enjoy, but I may not have been able to attend

1) 3 Provinces (Volksrust): 9-11 February - We need to do this again
2) AGM (Barnardsvlei 4x4): 3 March
3) RFAD (Base 4): 10 March
4) Passes Trip (Eastern Cape): 27April – 1 May
5) Introduction to 4x4 (TBD): 30 June
6) River Trip (Giyani): 9-12 August
7) Skid Pan day (Redstar Raceway): 19 August - missed this effing work
8) Family Weekend @ Dibus Stop Eastern Free State: 22-24 September We need to do this again
9) Year End Function Olifants River Lodge: 24-25 November

1. 23 February 23 - Weighbridge Day - Martin De Jager - missed this again effing work
* 16 March 2019 AGM
2. 19 April to 1 May – Richtersveld trip - Andreas Ropertz & Kurt Gerber - effing work
3. 15 to 17 June – Blouberg Trip - Andreas Ropertz - too slow, looking at contracts
4. 8 to 12 August - Baboons Pass - Martin De Jager - need to see if I can make a plan unless I am too late
6. 9 to 10 November - Year End Function - All