Mikem Supsension

4x4AG Most Extreme Trip-Baboons Pass 9-11 August 2019.

Official 4x4 Action Group Events
For Club Members Only
Jeanvn

Post by Jeanvn »

Hedgehog wrote:This is such a funny thread

,,,ImageImage

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Perhaps but Baboons is loads of fun Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
105 Land Cruiser
Amabroekies v6

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Martin.. read the thread..

Relax man.. it's still 8 months to go

What I can add is that, I hope you have 35s.. you will need 35s... You can do it in 33"s, but if you only have 33s, you must have lots and lots of protection... and I dont mean condoms... You will need the protection MUCH more than friends.. ImageImage

Oh.. and guts... Have you noticed there are no vids of people doing it in the snow... that is because there is no traction on rocks when they are covered in ICE!!!

But then... Worst of all .. Your biggest worry about this trip, is that you might not have enough credits to go.. imagine that!!!

What then? How will you get more credits if you need credits to get credits?

Imagine putting your name on the list, paying the deposit, preparing your vehicle only to be told to sit on the bench because one of the other more regular guys wants to go,.... and he has more credits..

But then.... You still need 35s.. 33s wont cut it in the snow/ice.. ;)

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hedgehog on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Striker63

Post by Striker63 »

[quote="Martin de Jager" post_id=9151 time=1545809144 user_id=50]
Morning all,
just to make sure everyone understands the difficulty of Baboons Pass and the challenge that awaits everyone.
"Baboon's Pass is extremely difficult and not for the faint of heart. This is a hectic ground pass which consists of huge rocks and the soil only exists to create large 'potholes' for vehicles to suffer through.

Ideally, travellers will have old rock drills, a heavy-duty hammer and chisel, as well as large, strong men or women. Essential items are a tow strap, snatch strap, decent D-Shackles, high-lift jacks, airjacks and the odd winch.

Motorcyclists have dared this path (the best completing it in an hour), but few motorists in four-wheel drive. In order to first be eligible to traverse the Baboon's Pass, adventurers will first need the correct type of vehicle. Even some strong ones might not be up to the challenge, unless you don't mind leaving parts of it behind.

The ideal number for a group would be four to six vehicles, and having two of a type of vehicle works even better as parts are then easier to interchange. The entrance to Baboon's Pass is just after the Likolobeng River, and as soon as you have entered a terrain of large rocks and holes in the road await to ruin the belly of your car.

The ground itself starts with small river sand type ground, followed by brown dusty ground, which is bad for traction. Rain only comes during summer time, so when visiting during winter beware that the area will be dusty and the rocks unstable due to the soil being so loose.

The weather itself will be dry and relatively warm during this time of year. Teamwork and careful planning is essential on this trip, just to make it through, otherwise you could run the risk of leaving your vehicle there permanently to act as a warning and attraction for future adventurers. Stupid mistakes could even lead to vehicles dropping off the cliff face. Obstacles on the pass force vehicles to go one by one, meaning everyone helps each other at least, but the larger the group the longer you'll wait. Huge boulders, narrow passages, holes and ditches causes by flooding, steep uphills, 90-degree turns, and high vertical cliffs dropping off the side are what you can expect, and just to make it appetizing the mountain threw in 500m of impassable damaged road, a 2km section of flat twin track road and Goliath, a huge, well known rock in the road making it even more narrow.

Overnighting can be done on the pass by means of choosing a suitable area and setting up camp, but expect to spend two days on this track if all goes well. The pass is approximately 26km and can be done under 20 hours of driving in good circumstances."

It would be wise to adhere to the warnings of people that have driven the route before, so, six vehicles would be the most we can consider.
[/quote]

[b]Martin if i read this right, then "SHREK" is the vehicle for this trip, 1. strong vehicle, no doubt about that..2. leaving parts behind, mmmm sandwini, if they want to fall off, i just take them off first..3. strong team player.. well i got your back there...m/t a/t got them all tool etc "bloudraad" is all shrek needs, self sustainability, shrek can survive a week on his own...so ja credits has been a year of mixed feelings and a bit of hardegatgeit, but ja would love to join this one...[/b]

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

Collin, lets see how things develop over the next few weeks, who knows.
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Martin de Jager

hi guys, this video being a closer reflection of what we can expect.
https://youtu.be/HoiySSN53MI
this group was much bigger, and was already on a second night sleep over, two vehicles did not make it to the top and had to be recovered.
"
So Baboon's Pass is no playground, full stop. This pass near Ramabanta is one of the most remote, roughest and impassable passes in Lesotho -- more suitable for donkeys than for vehicles. The pass is 20km long and you climb from an altitude of 1 200m to 2 850m, it took is 3 straight days to do it due to some vehicle breakage's and snow falls.e need to consider sleeping on the mountain , maybe a two day trip instead of one.
"
2019 Invader Duo.

Martin de Jager

Andreas,
you have commented on taking your trailer up Baboons Pass, you need to see this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPdSSkLRnI
2019 Invader Duo.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Martin, that video of the guy with the LC76 trying take a Jurgens up Baboons - Clueless!!!!
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Martin de Jager

Manny , totally agree, just wanted Andreas to view it,
2019 Invader Duo.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Martin, I may appear slightly unhinged at times but I am not totally crazy. Yet.

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

My credits are in the - and I only paid for the first 4x4 AG membership last week...

Any possibility to co-drive with someone?

Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

LesseW wrote:My credits are in the - and I only paid for the first 4x4 AG membership last week...

If Imm Going you could possibly go with me as My Wife will go to the camp site but not on the trail

Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

KurtG wrote:***Reserved for attendance list***
Who is on this list yet
Can you update the list

Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Martin de Jager

Andreas,
purely a reference, nothing intended,
2019 Invader Duo.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Ja nee ek weet Martin

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Bugger wrote:
LesseW wrote:My credits are in the - and I only paid for the first 4x4 AG membership last week...

If Imm Going you could possibly go with me as My Wife will go to the camp site but not on the trail

Thanks Bugger,

I am starting a new job in Feb, can only confirm end of Feb unfortunately.

Last edited by LesseW on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4