Mikem Supsension

4x4AG Most Extreme Trip-Baboons Pass 9-11 August 2019.

Official 4x4 Action Group Events
For Club Members Only
Saxj

Post by Saxj »

It looks like you are planning on camping out while the rest play catchup.

Panda

Post by Panda »

Only 3 work days left, before we leave on this trip....

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

Wow can not believe its upon us, going to be an awesome trip!
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Martin de Jager

Well this is it, Friday we are off on one probably the most extreme trip this club have ever attempted. Wish all going with me an awesome experience.

We will report back on return.
2019 Invader Duo.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Martin de Jager wrote:Well this is it, Friday we are off on one probably the most extreme trip this club have ever attempted. Wish all going with me an awesome experience.

We will report back on return.
Yes no trip luck good extreme careful safe drive in out done well go. :lol:
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

henris

Post by henris »

Enjoy and keep the shiny side up.
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Martin de Jager

Thanks will do,
2019 Invader Duo.

grips

Post by grips »

?????????????
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Grips, they made it home in one piece. Martin says you can’t compare Baboons to Road to Hell, so my guess is RTH was much tougher
Flex is overrated

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

7 vehicles completed the trip in around 11 hours.
One sidewall puncture, one bent transfer case bracket, and a little bit of body damage, for the whole group. And a whole heap of fun.

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

Bugger wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:35 pm
Got my Eezyawn sorted
And my Upholster is busy making sides for Tiny

HeeeeYa

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
And the awning didn't get used. We didn't have to wait that long for the others to get unstuck.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Well done to the 7 guys and ladies who did it.

Looking forward to a badly phrased trip report and many great photos....

Hope you guys left proof that 4x4AG was there...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Martin de Jager

This is the official report on the 4x4 Extreme Baboons Pass trip.
The process started a year ago, a lot of enthusiasm, then it quietened down.
WOW!
All those who did not do it, you missed out!

This was to be an epic tour, epic event and an awesome group of people.
Getting There:
We arranged and started the convoy in Heilbron, Wimpie and Jaco came the furthest but were first, then myself, Esther and Armand arrived. Minutes later Victor and Pierre(Bugger) and Woolf arrived. Together, applying convoy rules, we rolled out of Heilbron, drove to Bethlehem, and met Francois (Panda), Santa, and Burger and Bianca.
Missing in action was our friend Alex and Kwetcha, Africa time rules. We had a pleasant breakfast in Bethlehem. Eventually we were joined by the big thirsty Hummer. We agreed to fill up, buy some wood, and wait for the Hummer, and wait and wait!
Africa went missing in Checkers, so serious penalties are coming.
We decided enough waiting and off we went, around 11h00, we send pin pointers to LX, they were on the Senekal road and we were on our way to Ficksburg, more pointers follow. We stopped for ice and eventually the big Hummer rolled in.
With the full convoy in tact, representing the mighty 4x4 Action Group we set off for Peka Bridge border post.
We exit South Africa & proudly entered Lesotho, & drove through the outskirts.
The mighty convoy being the focal point of the day, smiles, waves, smile, roadblock, check licenses etc..
We drove though outskirts of Maseru to Roma. Radio Comms working beautiful, a slow pace through the chaos into Roma, then a final fill up. Off we go next stop Ramabanta Trading Post.
Ramabanta:
We arrive in Ramabanta, unpack, sort the accommodation, all settled we set up a communal braai, we chat , laugh, absorbed some beverages, laid down the rules, the order to drive, then we split up for a restful night.
Ramabanta to Baboons:
The following morning we are up at 05h00, ready to rock and roll, all vehicles deflated, food, enough tools , spare parts, spare side shafts, :D , off we go, 06h00 all in convoy. Check , check, go off the tar, tougher than what many of our members drove all year! :D .
We drove wrong once, twice, we get focused!!! The order of the convoy set, (1) Bugger in Tiny, (2) SAXJ in the new Jimny; ( 3) Panda; (4) LX ; (5) Burger; (6) Wimpie and Jaco, a mighty team in a Nissan Terrano; and (7) Myself, in the mighty Fortuner. Sweeper and joint leader.
Finally Baboons!!!:
We start the pass around 06h30, this is going to be a long day! 1710 meters above sea, cold, for some very cold, Bugger looks like a camo-cladded Eskimo, LX so well camouflaged he blends into the night, its pitchblack. :D .
Baboons Pass, the easy part starts, we maintain a steady pace, the first half had some testers, some really tight angles and narrow close to the edge tracks, sun in the eyes.
08h43, made some slow progress and already had some hair raising moments, its beautiful but not easy!
By 09h02 we arrive at a very tight rocky corner - we have progressed a mere 2 km's . Believe me this is tough, but still the easy part! :o
10h49, by now of you would have moaned, this thing is tough! Not even 5 km's into the pass! We have been tested already, big rocks, deep ruts, more rocks. But man what a team, all for one, one for all, proudly we carry on.
By 11H44 I picked up my first battle scars, thought I could mount this one rock, surprise! :o , right hand rear damage, eina.
LX got stuck twice, we do a bit of recovery & off we go again. Santa was brilliant, we all assisted and got him through!
By 13h20 we arrived at an extreme tester, only Bugger and Panda succeeded, LX tried we, send him back, safety first. Wimpie had the only puncture, Bugger had a mechanical because of this obstacle! :shock:
14h05, we are back on the road, the last 6 km's ahead of us, we thought it was difficult yet the toughest was still to follow.
Convoy on the move.
Z drive, we start the decent, what a drop of tight lines, big rocks, more damage on mine, nobody to navigate me, its now 14h12. Man this thing is intimidating, wrong line, shit committed, diff lock on, reverse, turn, safely out!
By 14h40 the toughest part starts, these rocks are really growing by the minute, Wimpie is stuck, Santa comes to the rescue, she shows the line for us men! :oops:
14h44, now the real tough part is upon us , Armand my navy assists me, the next obstacle Wimpie digs big time, out, then its my turn, out, thanks Santa.
15h30 the end is in sight.
Goliath Rock, we all collect out wits, everyone goes through, eventually we are all out.
At 15h57 we stopped Goliath Rock behind us, all in good spirit. :o Now the way out of the pass , highest point 2690 meters above sea, nearly a 1000 meters ascending, some of the toughest, certainly my toughest. Now for some fun, LX dug some deep ruts, Burger gets stuck, Wimpie rescues him, laughs all the way! :lol: We go down Wimpie has side slide, real close call.
17h13 we all gather for a group photo at the tar road, Well done team , safely home.
18h03 I stopped at Ramabanta, greetedby a very relieved wife, then the music when she sees the damage! Now I am joining the Bowls club.
Conclusion:
That is Baboons pass! an awesome drive.
That night we held a court session and we enjoyed the OBS - especially LX and Kwetcha. Thanks all.
The following day we drove home.
The Best team
Attachments
DSC_8167.JPG
DSC_8119.JPG
DSC_7946.JPG
DSC_8084.JPG
DSC_7967.JPG
DSC_7916.JPG
DSC_7893.JPG
DSC_7841.JPG
DSC_7837.JPG