Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Right, here is Manny's well-written Report on the day @ The Wild near Heidelberg:
Preamble:
Although I did numerous events in 2020 despite the LockDown to curb the spread of something or other.
2021 I did a bit less, but in 2022 I focussed all my Off Road efforts on The Bots trip & the YEF & participated in little else.
To be honest, I'm not as interested in 4x4 trail days as I once was.

So, when Martin & Joos (not a Club or Forum member) arranged this I felt obligated to attend.

As Martin had been there recently & as Joos (not a Club or Forum member) is 'involved' with the track I knew it would be well-run day.

Martin started the Thread (this Thread) we quickly got 8 attendees & set up a WhatsApp group.

The Day - Getting there:
The bulk of us agreed to meet at the PetroPort on the N3 @ 07:45.
En route I caught up with SueAnne - everyone arrived on time;
SueAnne
Rechard
Trolly Fan
& myself.
Another guy was there, Charles, he was not on the WhatsApp group, but I assumed he was a friend of Joos'.

We assumed Martin & Joos (not a Club or Forum member) were not meeting @ the Petroport, so after grabbing a coffee (thanks SueAnne) we headed out.

You drive past Heidelberg, jump off at the next off ramp, turn right over the highway then two lefts turns taking you back under the highway & you drive straight into The Wild.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Manny's well-written Report continued
The Day - The Venue:
You drive through a few gates before arriving at a big lapa/boma /lodge area with braai facilities, toilets etc.
There we met Joos (not a Club or Forum member).
He gave us the run down, they have a 1000m shooting range & he explained that, as they are shooting today we can't do certain areas.

The Farm is owned by the guy who owns Conqueror Trailers Heidelberg.

About Charles:
Turns out the mysterious Charles is the guy who founded Lynx4x4, he then went to Dubai for a few years & his GM ruined the business.
So he returned to SA & decided it would be best to shut it down & start again.
I remember Lynx - they had good stuff - I also remember it's demise.

Charles now runs Scout Developments in Alberton/Meyerton (Heildelberg)...

The Day: The Trail:
We headed off, the trail is very new & needs many, many more vehicles to go through it before it can become self-drive.
We had Joos (not a Club or Forum member) who built the trail leading & Charles, who has done it many times, bringing up the rear.
There was a small problem with this, which I'll cover in my summary in the next post.

We went over a mountain/hill - being the Heidelberg area it is a bony/stony trail but Joos found the valley, with many plump cows, a dam & a marsh.
We snaked threw the marsh until both Rechard (V6 Hilux) & Renier-C (Disco4) got stuck.
We recovedred them with SAXJ's Jimny & headed off.

We then headed to one of two grade 4 obstacles (the rest of the trail is a pleasant Grade 2/3).

Joos (not a Club or Forum member) went up 1st in his D1 Disco & snapped a Side-Shaft.
Renier-C decided that discretion is the better part of valor & stood down.
So Martin in his (very modded, lifted & big tyred) Jimny went up.
Unfortunately the Jimny overheated.

I was next &, not wanting to snap a SideShaft too, took it too easy & struggled.
But I eventually realised that trying to nurse it will cause more stress on the parts.
Sueanne was next & did it with no problems, as did Trolly fan in his gumballed tyred Patrol.
Eventually we were all up.

Rechard realised his Diff Lock wasn't working.
But it's a Toyota - so a minor issue easily repaired.

Joos (not a Club or Forum member) & Renier drove round to meet us at a disused reservoir - great views from there.

Due to Joos's (not a Club or Forum member) sideshaft, Renier's caution, Rechard's Diff & Martin's overheating we decided to skip the 2nd grade 4 obstacle & drive a simpler route back.

Martin needed to head home (he had to have his heater on full blast so he was now also overheating) so we said goodbye & did the 2nd loop.

Puncture Time!
Then we headed to the highest point - stunning views. Aparently it is one of the highest points in Southern Gauteng.

En route down Renier got a puncture - a 15mm long slit in his (Pirelli) tyre on both sides (inside & outside).
It was an absolute mission for Renier (assisted by Rechard) to change the tyre.
They had to remove his entire drawer system to lower the spare.
Then Renier forgot (despite me & Sueanne reminding him) to 'lock' the suspension - with the air suspension, the higher you jack the vehicle up, the further the air suspension drops the wheel.
So you run out of (scissor) jack before you run out of articulation..
Eventually the wheel was replaced & we headed down.

Maybe 800m further, Renier split another (Pirelli) sidewall - in two places.
Renier, Rechard & Charles eventually fitted 20 SnotPlugs, they re-inflated & we did about 1km before he had to stop, re-plug & reinflate.

Charles happened to have a set of Disco4 wheels & tyres at home & called his son to bring them to the lodge.

SAXJ headed home.

We headed to the lodge, Renier prepped the wheel for replacement, the rest of us re-inflated while Joos (not a Club or Forum member) made a braai fire.

Charles' son arrived, Renier fitted the wheel & headed home to PTA with Rechard driving with as back up.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Manny's well-written Report - conclusion
The Day - Summary:
It was a great day out.
It was 33*C so a bit hot & there is not much shade - especially at the various places we stopped.
Clouds would have been most welcome.

Joos (not a Club or Forum member) & Charles did a great job of guiding us...
BUT! neither had ORRA 2way radios - so comms were a tad disjointed.

It was great to be out again after my long hiatus. It was a great crowd.
The camaraderie was great & Charles was, to Renier, a life saver.
Thank You Charles.

We theorised over Reniers misfortune, with each of us having their own theories.
My theory is: Those Pirelli tyres were probably not LT rated, it'sa 3300kg vehicle, Pirelli's are kak, it was 33*C & Renier was running 1.8bar which I feel is way too hard.
If I Renier had an LT tyre with 3-ply sidewalls (anything less is crap) & had dropped to 1.2bar (as I had) - he would have been fine.
But that's my view.

R300 per vehicle for a nice trail, guided, with great views, many buck (we saw Impala, Kudu, Wildebees & many, many, nice plump cows as well as eagles etc.) is an absolute bargain.

If you are interested in getting a group together, speak to me or Martin & we'll arrange with Joos (not a Club or Forum member).

Photos next...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The group on one of the high points - check the view!

Waiting for Joos (not a Club or Forum member) & Renier C to arrive...

Count the snotplugs!

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

That looked like fun, and expensive.
Can't have reward without the risk.

I didn't know Joos was a club member, the more you know...