Official 4x4 Action Group Events
For Club Members Only
KurtG

Post by KurtG »

The apocalypse
Flex is overrated

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Thanks to all the crowd for a lekker weekend. We're home safely and unpacked. Awaiting collection of one blue toiletries bag from its loving owner.....
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Thanks guys!

It was a great weekend!

Till next one.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Let me try a small trip report for a change.

I left Lonehill and headed to Pretoria to meet up with Manoel and Tanya at around 10am on Thursday’s and collected three 17 year olds to help Manny deliver his new found posse to the venue.

The trip there was uneventful and my economy towing a Venter trailer was 9.5L/100km according to the onboard trip computer.

We arrived and checked in at reception and filled in a few forms and then drove down to the camp site and met up with the majority of the retired or unemployed guys that were already setup.

My new sans-Metalian camp setup is Über simple. A Tentco senior gazebo, a pop up tent and a Coleman basically. I noted the wind was prevailing down the valley we were in, so I setup accordingly and for the entire weekend I was very well protected from the constant breeze.

The place is burnt of note but at least there was no risk of us causing a fire with all our braais. The trails were very easy but enjoyable and the afternoons were spent chilling and sipping a few cold ones.

The evenings were festive and sociable with everyone socializing around a few fires and cooking their chow.

Tanya turned 30 (again) and she served us some lovely platters of snacks and dips and stuff yesterday afternoon which were delicious and we all had a few dops.

Andreas swore at the farm-hand helper guy (who had seemingly removed his Cruiser’s piston rings) and he proceeded to smoke Andreas’s entire camp out and spin dust while trying to maneuver around the camp doing his daily chores . Andreas was less than impressed, it was funny.

The drive home was fine and alI is good.
Flex is overrated

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

What a lekker Weekend!

Before I give my report, I must share a hilarious story with you...

In order to follow the story you need to understand the layout:
Look at the attached picture, the guy camping to the LEFT of the blue line is Andreas.
The red arrow shows the entrance to the camp site, the wind blew form the right of the pic to the left, i.e. towards Andreas.

Right so if you see where Fearless is parked, it made that hairpin bent very tight. Every time someone returned to camp they had to make a 3 point turn.
This caused just. The dust blew onto Andreas camp site - HE DID NOT LIKE THIS!!!

So one night the 'Plaas Voorman' arrives to pump river water into the tanks.
But his old bombed out Land Cruiser bakkie which smoked like a 1940's steam train, could not make the turn.
He did try, this caused dust & massive pillows of black smoke to cover Andreas.

When he was done, Sue pointed out that the Toilet paper was finished, so he left, making dust & smoke.
He returned 20 mins later. He again tried the turn, but then decided to reverse.
He reversed with his stuffed clutch, spinning his one back wheel wildly while creating a monumental amount of diust & billowing black smoke.
Andreas gave him hell, so he stopped, ran with the TP, dropped it off & then left, creating even more dust & smoke.

I have never laughed that much in my life - I thought Andreas was going to beat the man to death!!! :D :lol: :) :P

It was damn funny!!!!
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

OK, my comments:

Ribbokkloof called me on Tuesday saying 500ha had burnt the night before.
I think they expected us to cancel - but I love a challenge.

On Thursday I headed to Tammy, met Kurt & Tammy surprised us by saying that not only was she bringing her two kids, but there 3 friends.!!!
As it was her Birthday weekend I let it slide (I'm easy going like that).

Kurt with 3 teenage girls & me, with Tammy & the two boys, headed out.

Checking in was funny as I had to keep explaining things to the lady at reception. Like why there were more vehicles than disclaimers (Bugger had left Tiny at home & brought his old Fleetline Jurgens Camper).

There were also additions & subtractions from the group size, which took some unraveling.

We got to camp, most had already set up.

Since my group was 7, which included 3 teenagers with little to no camping experience, set up of the 4 tents etc took nearly 2 hours.

Andreas started a fire (as he did every night) & we had a braai (see pics above).

On Friday we only headed out to do the trail at 10:00 - did about half of it & we were back in under 2 hours.

The fire devastation was severe - sad to see (again, refer pics above).

Friday night we braai'ed, a bottle of knock-off Zoerdoeff was culled.

Saturday was Tammy's Birthday - but I did head out with a small group (Avon had done some exploring the previous day & found more challenges) for an hours, others did more wheelin'.

Others stayed in camp, Rabbiddog & Sue Ann went to town (Middleburg), Martin & Renier et al went to Loskop - everyone did their thang.

Mike PS & Bugger left on Saturday

In the afternoon we slowly, one by one, landed up sitting under Paul's shade (he had the biggest shade area), Tammy got the kids to bring out snack platters& we had a nice pleasant 'kuier' under the afdak.

We then moved 10m to the braai area & carried on there - we had a few shooters (Cactus Jack etc).

Sunday we packed up & left.

I stopped to pay everyones trail fee & had to again explain again that Bugger did not do thetrail. Again.u

Although most of the group were the same old faces, it was nice to have (fairly) new members like Ninja (PJ) & Anita & their partners along.

It was a nice relaxed, very chilled weekend. We didn't let the fire devastation ruin our weekend.

Ribbokkloof must be stunning when it isn't burnt - the camp area needs attention & I felt that they should have serviced the bathrooms, emptied the dustbins & cleared the braais daily.
We, at the end, even used our own firewood to keep the donkey going.

I hope these are issues caused by Lock Down & the recent fire & not the way they operate.

Thank you to all who attended.

Thank you to Kurt for ferrying the kids from Pretoria & back.

Thank you to Andreas the fire (braai) starter.

Thank you to Kurt, the kids & other who kept the donkey fed.

Thank you to Anita & Anton for ferrying the kids around at Ribbokkloof & for taking them on exhaustingly long walks in the hot sun - it kept them out my way & tired.

It was a really pleasant weekend...

Nico-MAD

Post by Nico-MAD »

Nice one guys, sorry I missed this one, but we had an school reunion at ATKV Drakensville.

Guys, be thankful for the type of camping we do. Drakensville was full of caravans, tents and chalets fully booked. Not sure how many camp sites, but must be hundreds. The people there are so full of shit and what a unpleasant weekend. We booked under a group and because some payment had to be sorted out by the group leader they would not give us passes to leave the resort until it was sorted out and the most they had was, at best, std 6.
They had a lot of ablutions but you still had to wait for a toilet or shower and every time you finished there was this guy blocking your exit wanting to know if you are happy, need some help, was your shower clean, can I wash your back, just short of how much tip are you going to give me.
I'm so depressed that I need to go camping now to regain some sanity.
So next weekend I'm in the bush. :D :D :D

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

I did hear some very frustrating conversations going on between Kurt and Manny over the radio on the way back bitching about the road back.

Did you guys have breakfast in Middelburg?

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Onree, I wanted to skip the R64.00 toll gate,
That meant taking the R555.
We decided against it.
Then we hit the roadworks.
Then the Toll gate, then another backlog.
So I was pissed off I didnt stick with skipping the Toll gate

We didn't stop at Middleburg - the reason you caught us is because we stopped at reception to pay for the trail then stopped at the tar road to re-inflate...

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Sounds like (a) logical excuse(s).

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Excellent story telling Manny. No embellishments at all. 😂😂😂

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

I have brought a plastic table home that was left at our awning after the Saturday afternoon snack session. I asked around to find it's owner but didn't get any takers at the venue so I'm hoping it's owner found it didn't come home with them when unpacking.
Give me a shout to arrange collection.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

The owner of the table has contacted me privately but not admitted here on the forum. I'm sure our Chairman will be able to get the info to add to his misdemeanor list for the year end function.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Tanya & Tristan left it there - they are to blame...

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Who is the owner of the table and left it behind...???
2004 Disco 2 Td5