Healthy Sleep

Another Snatch Recovery gone wrong

Section for Threads related to Driver Training & Development
Mad Manny

Another Snatch Recovery gone wrong

Post by Mad Manny »

I had a few people alert me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7sz6b ... 4lGufmBURQ

Basically Ozzie Mad Matt covers a snatch recovery that went wrong, killing a guy in Arizona.

I wasn't going to cover it, but then Prof sent me this:

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?th ... s.50910%2F

So I decided it's topical enough.

The rule is simple: If you have NOT had 4x4 Recovery Training - DO NOT DO A SNATCH RECOVERY...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

I'd seen this on two other forums and shook my head in wonder. Here were people that should have known better doing the worst thing you can ever do in a recovery. Chains have no place in a snatch recovery but I'm preaching to the converted, I hope. As inexperienced with 4x4 driving as I am, I drove and operated a recovery truck during my military service. This shouldn't have happened and the only way to get people to see the dangers, is to show them articles and photos like this.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

They were doing a snatch recovery with a static rope attached to a dropped toll ball.
The bonnet wasn't open.
There was no soft weight on the rope.
He was up to his axles in thick mud.
It was going to end badly regardless.

Just a pity it ended as badly as it did...

Redman

Post by Redman »

Terrible to see these type of accidents...

Just looking at the pics and seeing that the lowered tow ball hitch (adding more leverage to the forces), one would think that someone should have seen this accident in the making (tow ball bad on its own, but on a hitch like this it is x10 worse).

Really really sad. RIP Ryan
1659068901834.jpeg

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

One would think that a "professional" would own a kinetic rope and know how to use it.....

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

RIP.

Truly terrifying to note the amount of force required to pull a vehicle stuck like that one, and where the weakest link eventually was.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

It always saddens me seeing this sort of stuff - especially since these sort of incidents can be avoided entirely with a little bit of training and the application of common sense.

On a side note: I don't like snatch recoveries at all. Even with proper equipment / proper recovery points and following all safety measures, the forces present in a snatch are pretty insane and during the actual "snatch moment", there is no real control of anything. Granted - there are cases when a snatch is required, but most of the time I'd prefer to recover in a more "controlled" fashion.

All that said, RIP.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I see there have been a few comments on this on the dirktatorship forum saying things will have been fine if the bonnet was open. I sort of say possibly.

The following few images were photos I took of a failed snatch recovery demonstration by SecureTech (I think) for the Nissan club many years ago. It took a few attempts to get the effect they wanted. It was basically a few "failed failed snatch recovery" demonstrations until they could get the shackle through the bonnet. So the photos of the dents are the photos of the shackle failing on one of the failed demos. The other photos will show where the shackle went straight through the bonnet more-or-less where the intercooler vent is.

This was just a normal shackle. A piece of the towball / towbar / towbar drop plate etc would obviously have much more momentum.
20141206_151835.jpg
20141206_151839.jpg
20141206_151844.jpg
20141206_151850.jpg
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

If the bonnet was open, Ryan would probably have survived, but that tow bar would have wrecked the bonnet and probably have broken the windscreen.

It went through windscreen glass
buckled a steering wheel and still had enough energy to kill him.

So it would have still been a disaster, just a non fatal one...

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Manny - yes - he possibly would have survived. Still, it is a moot point. My point being that even following best practices, one underestimates the forces and momentum involved in these things at your peril. I will perform snatch recoveries when I really need to. But I prefer other options when they will work.

It is the same with the hi-lift jack I lug around everywhere. In cases, it really has it's use. But I treat it with respect. It scares me. Snatching is the same.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Ian, I think, you and I and anyone with common sense agrees:
Avoid mud.
Only snatch when absolutely necessary.
Do it as safely as possible.
Always expect the worst.

Redman

Post by Redman »

Hindsight is always 20/20, but the sad part is (wish I was wrong) that this will not be the last accident.

I agree that one should not be able to purchase a snatch rope without proving one did some level of training.

Might not be the best video out there but I really found this one of Ronny Dahl informative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Be4bP-k8Q

Redman

Post by Redman »

Had a helicopter evac last weekend on one of our favorite beaches here in Queensland. "Serious head injuries to female passenger after failed recovery attempt"

Haven't seen more info on this, but I have witnessed some real dodgy recoveries on this beach.

Not sure if it will be possible or even feasible, but this is getting to a point where I would limit sales of snatch straps to only those that can produce a certificate that they have done some training on it.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Rather just ban those XXXX fuelled Ozzies from driving on the beach.
They are not a bright bunch.

Trolly Fan

Post by Trolly Fan »

Redman wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 am
Had a helicopter evac last weekend on one of our favorite beaches here in Queensland. "Serious head injuries to female passenger after failed recovery attempt"

Haven't seen more info on this, but I have witnessed some real dodgy recoveries on this beach.

Not sure if it will be possible or even feasible, but this is getting to a point where I would limit sales of snatch straps to only those that can produce a certificate that they have done some training on it.
Trust Australia to come up with a rule like that, an implement it.
Some people complain about a nanny state, but I'm afraid, if some people act like children, then that is what is called for...

Here in SA we have certain threatened bird species nesting at around the springtide mark, which I think was the main thrust behind banning beach driving all together. In the long run I think we are better for it being banned.
2005 TD42 "Masewa"
1996 TB48 "Skilpad"
1993 TB42 "Shortie"
1985 SD33 "Toro"