Maxxis Tyres

Nata to Khubu - Query

iandvl

Nata to Khubu - Query

Post by iandvl »

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I don't see a section for route queries or regional stuff. But here goes: A trip / route query.

I've been to Bots quite a bit. A chunk of it for work which means mostly in Gabs and down South, although I've also taken the Trans-Kalahari before on my way to Namibia. I also started with a trip up to Kasane some years ago, but called "stop-drop" at Mahalapye with electrical issues and headed back to ZA with an almost non-functional truck. That specific trip is still on my list of things to do one day. As are trips I want to do to CKGR, Mabua, etc. One day.

In the meantime, my folks have asked me to put a trip together later on this year. My mother is elephant mad, and after friends of her's were recently at Elephant Sands, she has expressed a desire to head out that way. They also want to see Khama Rhino Sanctuary. Those who have met my father will understand that he an ex-artillery officer, so when he expresses a desire, things must happen according to how he sees it... :D :D

So, I was thinking - since we're heading up to Nata for the obligatory stay-over at Elephant Sands, we may as well take a bit of a detour on the way back. I'm thinking of heading up North to Elephant Sands and then back to Nata. However, instead of heading back down to Serowe via the A1, rather to turn west on the A3 and then turning South to get onto the A30 and camping at Khubu Island. After that, heading West to Orapa and then taking the A14 to Serowe / Khama Rhino Santuary.

My issue is that, not being a seasoned Bots traveller, I'm not 100% sure of the pans' rainy seasons and I know they can be deceptive when wet. So I'm not totally sure what time of the year would be a good time to take this route. My research indicates that March / April seems to be the wet time of the year. Would scheduling something like this for June or July be a good option ?

I'd appreciate any input. Oh - also please remember my folks are in their 70's. So whilst I am not massively phased about large technical difficulties when travelling in a group, I'd prefer to take a little less risk if it is simply them in their truck, and myself and the wimmin in mine...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Our resident Overlanding God Andrea's, will be here soon to answer.

Let me go call him.

Wait here....
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

If your Mom is an elephant nut then Elephant Sands is the place to go. The waterhole is a few meters from the deck where you can sit all day and night watching the elephants jockeying for a position to get at the freshest water.

June/July should be fine to go to Kubu Island as the rains should be over.

I would consider from Nata to head to Gweta on the A3. At Gweta you head south across Ntwetwe Pan to Kubu Island. This route gives you a great experience of traversing the pans. The road is generally well used and in reasonable shape.

There is also a track off the A3 Nata to Gweta road about 15km from Nata that heads south to Kubu, but I found it not as enjoyable as the Gweta to Kubu route. This route is possibly easier than directly south from Gweta.

Remember Kubu has only long drop toilets. No other facilities.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Thanks Andreas. I was originally looking at the road about 15km, but I'm in two minds about this. Thanks for the advice - Kubu via Gweta it shall be. Thanks again - appreciate the input. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

I think you will enjoy that route. The beginning section near Gweta can be quite confusing navigation wise as there are many many tracks through the bush but eventually they all seem to get you to the main track south to Kubu. The first section is also through thick bush where the tracks can be a little narrow. Once out on the pans it’s fantastic.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I guess it should be good. I'll manage the confusion of the tracks - I've not managed to lose myself in the middle of nowhere yet - despite giving it a hell of a go... :lol: :lol:

That thing about the bad pennies having a way of turning up: I remain a blight on the planet. :D 8-)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Thanks for coming so fast Andreas....

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Ian, as Gazetted by the BW Government today, 11 February 2022, you need a Vaxx to enter Bots...

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Thanks Manny. Why would I have issues with a vax certificate ? I actually have had my vax.

And that is not to cue the conspiracy theories.

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

grahamrob

Post by grahamrob »

AndreasR wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 am

There is also a track off the A3 Nata to Gweta road about 15km from Nata that heads south to Kubu, but I found it not as enjoyable as the Gweta to Kubu route. This route is possibly easier than directly south from Gweta.
We used this track before. Didnt enjoy it at all, it felt like that drive would never end!
I seem to have a different view of kubu to most people though, if it were me, Id hoof it up to Kasane for a night or two and enjoy the Chobe Reserve, maybe even on boat one of the evenings.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Fair enough but that’s not what Ian asked about.

grahamrob

Post by grahamrob »

I agreed with you that that road is rubbish though. Assisting Ian.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Ultimately, I would have preferred to head up Chobe side though. But the folks vetoed it. Since I'm putting this together for them, they are the deciding factor in terms of where we go. I did manage to get the pans included.

I'm not massively phased about "rubbish roads". The worse they are, the more inclined I am to take them. However, as pointed out, I've decided to opt for the Gweta route.

Thanks again for the assistance to all. The route is now moving from planning to implementation. :D :D
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Enjoy the trip
I can not wiait for our Trip to Kubu
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Thanks, but we might not make it this time around. The trip is possibly on hold as we're waiting to see what the petrol price does.

In the meantime, considering other options for a shorter trip in the meantime. Swazi and Southern Moz. Will see how it pans out. :(
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX