Mikem Supsension

Mabalingwe December 2021

Mad Manny

Mabalingwe December 2021

Post by Mad Manny »

Background:
I decided to close my highly professional & world renown company, The House Doctor between Christmas & New Year.
This was to resolve an unhappy leave situation with my restive staff, a situation caused by the state imposing how individuals should care for their personal health #weird.

So I arranged with Tanya & we decided to invite SueAnne (Ms Rabbiddog).

Anyhoo, with so many days off (24th December to 2 January) I decided to go camping.

Initially I was going to go to 3 Provinces, but decided that, since I'd been there 3 times before & done all 3 trails (including Hels Hoogte - like a Boss!) that we'd get pretty bored after a day or two - other than the beauty of the area, not much goes on there.

My mate AntonB (who has forgotten his 4x4ag password so he can no longer sign on here) had said he was going to Mabalingwe until the 27th.

So I decided to check it out.

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Pre-Trip Investigations

I googled Mabalingwe, found the Website & read it through.

I decided on The 4x4 Bush Camp - I'll explain why below.

I then googled again for reviews & found that other Forum - this proved very interesting;
Firstly, there were many Threads & posts there - but all pre 2018. Dunno what went wrong from 2018 :roll:
Secondly, most (but not all) of the comments were complaints (take that how you will).
The complaints regarded:
1. The ablutions
2. Monkeys invading & ransacking the camp site.
3. The ground being so hard they bent their tent pegs.
Dismissing these complaints as whining by lightweights I decided to check out a Youtube Video by Christoff.
His video was far more positive - short & to the point. A well done review.

I then googled the website again so Tanya & SueAnne could check it out, but found a completely different Webpage.
I found it strange that ONE venue would have TWO websites.
The one only mentions Chalets (from R2250/day), a few Lodges (that it didn't seem you could book) & the Kalahari & 4x4 Bush Camps.
The other website mentioned the Kakavaan Campsite, some of the chalets& a few other options.
On arrival I'd discover that MOST of the accommodation is not on either website.

Once the girls agreed & I booked and paid (a very reasonable R740 for one site for 4 nights).

The reason we chose the remote 4x4 camp sites was because 'I tired Boss' - I just wanted to 'get away from it all' after a very tough two years due to the globally insanity that had gripped mankind (for reasons I struggle to grasp).
Crowded campsites of Kakavania with screaming kids, drunken louts & a snoepie are not what I enjoy & certainly not what I wanted on this trip.

The Trip
After giving Tanya (who loves to over-cater) strict instructions to buy the bare minimum amount of food & asking the girls to collaborate on food planning I packed & planned the trip.
I had my doubts about the girls & the food - but they were to prove me horribly wrong - I'm pleased to admit.

I left home on the morning of the 26th (Boxing day) & headed to Pretoria to collect Tanya, Sueanne had stayed at her brother's near Tanya where she spent Christmas - her brother had to look after her dogs while she was away.
The 3 of us set off in the late morning of boxing day, Sueanne following in the Orange Monstor Disco D3 G4 - what a pleasure driving on the roads on boxing day. No traffic.
We had a nice pleasant trip.

It's a short trip, Mabalingwe is just outside Bela Bela (Warmbaths for the traditionalists).

Anton had warned us they'd taken heavy rain (he was staying in Kakavania) - he had also sent me all the key pin drops which made getting around in Mabalingwe a pleasure (Dankie Anton).

We checked in at reception, then went to the 4x4 Camp site - there are only 5 sites (the Website refers to 7 as did all the Pre-2018 reports I read on the 'other' Forum.
The 4x4 camp is is in a valley, it consists, basically of two roads in a V, you arrive at the bottom (where the ablutions are) & either take the right or left leg of the V.
The best sites are at the top ends of the V, but fortunately* those sites were taken.
The next best site is the one on the top right of the RHS V, but fortunately* that too was taken.
So the 3 biggest & best sites were taken - that leaves 2...
(* - I'll explain later why I say fortunately)...

The remaining sites are VERY small, being carved into the hill & surrounded by rocks, bush & the hill side, you are very restricted.
We drove up the RHS V, at the bottom was a site Anton had recommended.
The site was nice, but so small that Fearless would fill it, that means that once I pull in, Gearless is still in the narrow road.

We then drove up the LHS leg, at the bottom on the left was a site I could pull into to unhitch Gearless, but then I'd have to park in a small clearing opposite.
Unfortunately there was no space for Sueanne. Luckily a little further up on the right was one of the old discontinued sites, very small, but perfect for Sueanne.

We set up camp like pro's - we were done within an hour - fully rigged, awning, solar panels the lot. Sueanne set up single-handedly - like a Camp Master/Mistress.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The Kalahari Oasis Pub...

We decided to take a walk to check out the Kalahari Bush Camp, the camp site we drive through to get to ours.
Note: Although you don't need to engage Low Range to get to our camp you do need a 4x4 vehicle to get there - a Sh!tbox Hatch isn't going to make it.
We stopped in and checked our ablutions - basically a timber structure - very basic, but neat and clean.
It was abandoned (as far as we could see) - although it had brick & mortar ablutions - they were not nice.
We were happy with the 4x4 Bush Camp.

The Kalahari Oasis Pub - Chuck us a can Charlie!
We decided to continue walking to the pub - underestimating how far back it was (we drove past it on our way in).
AntonB had called saying he was there.
We got there, but Anton had left.

The Kalahari Oasis Pub is where they shot the Castrol 'Chuck us a can, Charlie!' adverts with Ian Roberts who later went on to found the Radio Kalahari Orkes.

Here are links in case you are unaware...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayoz5jEyuXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1wq9H9M8KQ

We had a drink and let Anton know we had arrived, he said he'd return later.
We were on the R&R's when they returned.

Anton took me back to camp to fetch Fearless so the girls didn't have to walk back - I'm nice like that.

Anton Et Al left & we left soon after, we were the last people to leave the pub, it was just after 18:00 & still light - but the staff were keen to high tail it out of there.
Realising we had no wood I asked one of the Pub staff where we could get braai would - he chucked a whole lot of left over wood from someone's braai in the bag & handed to me - take this!
Then he dashed off out of there.

We got back to camp - no evidence of a Monkey invasion. :roll:

I gathered twigs and dry wood lying around & started the fire, then added the wood from the pub.

We ate late & went to bed long after 23:00. The weather was not good.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Photo Time:
The bottom of the V showing the LHS leg, this is before the river started flowing...

The 1stsite we tried - too small to fit Fearless...

The entrance to the4x4 Bush Camp...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Our Ablutions..

Basic, but functional (water pressure varied though)...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Let it Rain, Let it Rain!
It rained all night - Anton & the guy at the gate had told us about days of heavy rain prior to our arrival.
We were also aware rain was coming.

Anton was scheduled to depart that morning (the 27th) I was glad I wasn't him - packing up in the rain.

The next morning we got up, the rain had calmed to a drizzle, but we noticed something...

A River Runs Through It
Now, as I said, the 4x4 Bush camp is basically two roads in a V with a big site on the top of each leg of the V.
The other 3 (remaining) sites are little 'cut-outs' off the road.
Running down the left of our road was a constant stream of water basically 300mm to 400mm wide & a few inches deep.

It was muddy water, but easy enough to step over.

But we noticed it was flowing right through the middle of the top camp sites, on our leg ' where a father & son were camping.

We then realised the water was flowing down the road past our ablutions & into the Kalahari Bush Camp.

I unclipped my spade & Sueanne & I diverted the river to flow straight & into the gully at the bottom.
No sooner had we finished than father & son came down in their Ranger Wildtrak (Black with bigger rims & lower tyres :roll: ).
We discussed how he would drive over our Civil Dam Building Structure.
I told him to try straddle the rock wall & just drive slowly.
Well, his right wheel hit our mud & rock wall dead on, I had hoping the integrity of our structure would suffer minimal damage, but as his wheel was on the wall he jabbed his brakes & slid his low profile wheel right through the dam wall.
$%^##@*^% Ford drivers!
Anyhoo, we repaired the damage.

Then the guys on the RHS leg came down, we noticed there was also a river running down their leg of the V, but it was a lesser flow.
They were Nambians & not happy I'd diverted the water - I explained what the goal was & how they should walk to theablutions - explaining that at least now there is no river past the ablutions.

Later I noticed the kids had built a little dam wall re-diverting the water towards the ablutions - so I stood over them & made them redo it (@#%&%$@ Nambians).

Once my water management Civil engineering project was operating per spec we decided to head out, a campsite in the rain is not pleasant.

We jumped in Fearless & took a drive, eventually landing up at the restaurant & pub at the main reception - it rained all day.

That night we couldn't braai - so Sueanne cooked her famous wors in the frying pan on my new gas stove, we had couscous, potato salad & curry noodle salad - my 3rd good meal at Mabalingwe - the food was awesome.r

Naturally, the battery in Gearless had received no charge since our arrival (there is NO POWER at the4x4 Bush Camp - but the ablutions have electricity & electric geysers).

I poured us a few G&T's - Tanya & Sueanne complained bitterly about my inability to pour a tot measure - but Gin is clear & the interior of the glasses were white so it was difficult to gauge 'dop depth' - fortunately Sueanne brought plenty gin!!!

It rained on & off that night.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The Vodacom 4x4 Route
On the 28th we got up, had a great breakfast (thanks Tammy) my 4th great meal of the trip & then headed off to do the Vodacom 4x4 route.
From the to you can see the entire Mabalingwe - there are dozens of dwellings - timeshare & owned lodges (not mentioned on the websites).
We did a bit of driving around, there is plenty game there, Kudu, Impala, Eland, Warthogs (flat pigs if you are Afrikaans), we saw Hippos in the dams, plenty bird life & ducks. Oh! and Giraffe.

On the way back we stopped at the kalahari oasis for an R&R...

That night Sueanne did a chicken in my Cobb - was awesome

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Our fellow campers
It rained again, the Nambians had both their campsites flooded and the father and son had lost a gazebo.
The Nambians left their stuff and went to another place to spend the night rather than deal with the water.

We did notice that the Nambians (actually Saffas now, ex Nam) had all the bells & whistles, nice set ups etc - so clearly experienced campers.
But they ignored the signs about closing the ablution doors, closing the toilet lids.
They loved spilling water on the floors (which are badly leveled) & were not big fans of flushing.
At one point I took a broom to sweep the ablution floors.
Very uncouth & inconsiderate.

There was also a 'bin' for your rubbish, where we placed our rubbish bag, tied neatly.
They threw their stuff in loose - eggshells, bones etc - it's like the concept of a dustbin bag is foreign to them.

At one stage a large troop of monkeys came past, that was the only time we saw them, although we were away most days they never came near our camp.

Kakavania & the Missing Road
We took a drive to Kakavania - the Kakavaan park is down at the entrance to Mabalingwe on the RHS as you come in.
On the way there a very large, bearded young guy, who filled his Hilux stopped us & said 'Waar gaan julle?' I told him & he said we can't the road was washed away.
So we decided to go look. The water had washed a bridge away, they arrived in a small tipper truck to repair it and the ground gave way under the tipper, causing it to, well, tip.
We then followed one of the bakkies on the detour and got to the entrance.

Kakavania was nice, but crowded, kids on those noisy plastic bikes every where - I dunno how people camp like that.
But the facilities were amazing, stunning ablutions, a shop, a place to get food etc.
We bought wood, ice water & Tanya bought Gawie, our mascot...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Fearless & 'A River Runs Through it'...
(sorry about the flipped pics)

Gawie the Mascot

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Stuck!!!
So this guy comes driving up to our camp site.
The Babbling brook had been flowing for days.

He sees Fearless & thinks 'Well that Fortuner got there, so will mine' and he proceeds to drive past our camp.
Well... not quite. :D Image :D :shock:
He got stuck. Sueanne had to winch him out...

The first pic shows why he thought he could get through - poor chap didn't realise he was following a Rubicon Eater...

You can clearly see my Civil Engineering dam wall infront of his Tuna.

This pic shows the hole he dropped his stock standard 4x2 Fortuner into...

He was actually a hell of a nice guy, says he has timeshare & had been coming to Mabalingwe for over 20 years.
He said this was the first time he'd ever seen anyone camping in the 4x4 Bush Camp.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Gawie at the Kalahai Oasis, ignoring dem bitches...

Gawie, Cedric & Leroy

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Conclusion:
It was a great trip.
Sueanne & Tanya prepared great meals & I braai'd.
The wors, Cobb chicken, currie noodle salad, potato bake & banana bread Sueanne prepared were awesome.
I drank so much of Sueanne's gin I rbought half of my dop back home.

I'll camp with Sueanne & Tanya anytime - they camp like bosses.

Mabalingwe is very nice. The facilities are great.
There are two places to eat up at the main reception.

Just below reception is an entertainment area, shop, takeout, putt-putt, jumping balloon thing (large inflated airbed thingy), cold and heated pools etc.
Down at Kakavania are great facilities.
Plenty game.
Plenty to see and do.
And the best is - it's 160km out of JHB.

The 4x4 Bush Camp is not for everyone, you need to be into wild, basic bush camping.
But we didn't get hassled by monkeys, we don't use wire pegs so the hard ground didn't phase us.
But there is always kakavania if you like that camping - good luck with the pegs - the sites are paved.

Alternatively, if you have the means, there's the self catering chalets.

I'll definitely go back...

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

I'll camp with Sueanne & Tanya anytime - they camp like bosses.

The question is will they camp with you!

Good that you had a nice break. We were staying not too far from you and while it was bucketing down with rain I got to say I had a quiet chuckle to myself realising you were out there camping. Ok let me be honest. I laughed so much I fell off the couch.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Nice report thanks Manny,
... another place for me to go camp.

... but I do believe that The Mabalingwe Resorts'
main claim to fame is a 130" Long Bar ?
Attachments
76DCDB79-35CF-489A-BC98-3C62600B3483.jpeg
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

AndreasR wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:28 pm
Good that you had a nice break. We were staying not too far from you and while it was bucketing down with rain I got to say I had a quiet chuckle to myself realising you were out there camping. OK let me be honest. I laughed so much I fell off the couch.
If a day of rain (or hard ground, low water-pressure, or a few primates) ruin your camping trip, you need to get in your Mazda MX-5, wrap your rainbow coloured feather boa around your neck, flick the end over the back, check you have enough Vaseline and head off to a B&B with your partner.

PS, did the family manage to get you back on the couch again? x