Erin Bosch, Insurance

Southern Namibia in December - Yay or Nay

AndreasR

Southern Namibia in December - Yay or Nay

Post by AndreasR »

My wife who runs two conglomerates and is a full time Grandma has suggested we do Southern Namibia trip in December this year because it will give us time to do a nice leisurely trip and enough time to do all the highlights.I know that it is not the best time to visit due to crowds in coastal areas and heat in inland areas.

There are a few Namibians on the forum and I’m sure some who have travelled this area in December. Is it a wise decision or will it be murder. Any advice appreciated.

It will be a camping trip.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Ricof4e is a northern Nambian, in fact he is technically Angolan, but he may have insights.
Let me see if I can find other Nambians or Noordskaapenare who will know....

To me it will hotter than a Wambo's scrotum while riding a mule in summer. But I'm no expert....

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

grips

Post by grips »

No, No. Dis f-k-n warm. The only nice place in Southern Namibia in December is Lüderitz or some other West Coast town.

You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Andreas, it just ain't worth it to consider such a trip in December. Temperatures go quickly up to 40+ and can become quite daunting on elder people.

February/March is a good time - usually about 4-5 degrees cooler during the day. No-go months in Namibia is October - December (unless you plan a coastal trip).

But it is quite do-able if you have a decent aircon in the car and you overnight in chalets - but that can become an expensive endeavour.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Mad Manny wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:07 pm
Ricof4e is a northern Nambian, in fact he is technically Angolan, but he may have insights.
Let me see if I can find other Nambians or Noordskaapenare who will know....

To me it will hotter than a Wambo's scrotum while riding a mule in summer. But I'm no expert....
Not for long though, if all goes well I might become a coastal Nambian next year.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Redman

Post by Redman »

Out of curiosity are they still using GP number plates for coastal Namibia 4eCoffee?

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Redman wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:43 am
Out of curiosity are they still using GP number plates for coastal Namibia 4eCoffee?
Dumb it down for me, I don't follow...? It is Monday morning after all :D
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I've done Southern Nam in December before. As in extreme south. It was primarily a coastal trip in ZA from Groenriviermond up Noth. However, since the border at Oranjemund had just opened that year, we decided to head back to ZA via Oranjemund, Rosh-Pinah, Aussenkerh, Hobas, Keetmanshoop, Aroab, Rietfontein.

I cannot speak about crowds at the coast, as we never went up further North than Keetmanshoop on that trip. But we did battle a little bit to get accommodation - at Oranjemund specifically.

Not entirely sure which Southern Nam bits you're looking at, but I presume you're talking Luderitz, Walvis, Swakop etc. No idea about those in December. But if inland, you'll probably get camping at Hobas. Also, don't underestimate Duwisib - very lekker camp site (the Namibian nature reserves one - there is a guest farm next door as well). If doing Duwisib, buy firewood in Betta. Awesome firewood and cheap.

It was a crappy trip. This was shortly after I had been evicted from my own home by the ex, and - despite paying a chunk of dosh over to her so that she could holiday elsewhere - she reneged on that agreement and ended up tagging along. So I was stuck with a long trip with "die tv wat nie werk nie links voor". It sucked, and I've blocked most of this from my memory.

Weatherwise, it was awesome. Really not hot in my opinion. But as I said, we did not head up very far on that trip.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

iandvl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:58 am
It was a crappy trip. This was shortly after I had been evicted from my own home by the ex, and - despite paying a chunk of dosh over to her so that she could holiday elsewhere - she reneged on that agreement and ended up tagging along. So I was stuck with a long trip with "die tv wat nie werk nie links voor". It sucked, and I've blocked most of this from my memory.

Weatherwise, it was awesome. Really not hot in my opinion. But as I said, we did not head up very far on that trip.
I really really really don't blame you for not noticing the heat. Henceforth you should call that trip "Job's vacay" :D
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Redman

Post by Redman »

Ricof4e wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:50 am
Redman wrote:
My last visit to coastal Namibia (Swakop) it seems like the local number plate was GP

With this I am trying to say that there were a lot of people from a place that has GP number plates.

GP number plates are found in the Republic of South Africa in the Gauteng Province.

I made a poor attempt at humor about the Namibian coast being full of people from the Gauteng Province (GP)
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Redman wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:11 am
Ricof4e wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:50 am
Redman wrote:
My last visit to coastal Namibia (Swakop) it seems like the local number plate was GP

With this I am trying to say that there were a lot of people from a place that has GP number plates.

GP number plates are found in the Republic of South Africa in the Gauteng Province.

I made a poor attempt at humor about the Namibian coast being full of people from the Gauteng Province (GP)
In that case yes. Swakop and Walvis unfortunately still falls under Gauteng rule. :D
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for all the replies. Just what I wanted to hear to convince the Boss that Southern Namibia in December is not a great idea.

Much appreciated. You have made my job much easier.

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

I've done Southern Nam in the hots months before.

It's very hot. And a few campsites we stayed at didn't have power.

Luckily wifey wasn't with. She would have hated it
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

I’d honestly avoid Namibia during December. It’s too hot and it’s too busy.

Anything south of Mariental sees 40° ambient temps, with not much respite at night. And while you can do chalets for the duration of the trip, it will work out costing WAY too much money… if you can, try going around August, September, October. Heat is tolerable, and the place won’t be overrun by tourists and saffers. Accommodation also works out to be between 5-15% cheaper as it’s still low season.