The House Doctor

Botswana Trip - Impressions and Lessons

AndreasR

Botswana Trip - Impressions and Lessons

Post by AndreasR »

So people are whining that the participants on the Bots trip are not ALL doing a trip report. It’s difficult to add to any of the experiences after Pierre’s minute by minute account. The only bit left out was the detailed report on everyone’s bowel movements.

So I will just give a few impressions, and lessons learnt along the way.

Pre Trip Research.

Read. Read. Read.

There is so much info on forums and blogs that is helpful. Do not waste your time on YouTube videos. They are useless. They show you how pretty everything is but don’t give the in-depth details you need.

Further, if someone has taken the trouble to give you all the info you need in advance, don’t ignore it.

Border Crossings

These are always stressful in Africa but rest assured that the Botswana/SA crossing is one of the simplest. Number one tip is, take your time. Don’t rush. It is a stressful time but put your smile on. Never take an agent or one of the crooks hanging around to”help”. There are always guys, generally the truck drivers, who will point you in the right direction with great pleasure and a smile

Don’t be like Pierre and rush through and then realise when you get to the Botswana side that you haven’t stamped out of SA.😂😂😂😂

Travel Times

Travelling in convoy, in Africa, is something measured in time not distance. Many challenges crop up along the way. Road closures, bad roads, pee stops, mechanical issues, flat tyres, getting through towns, amongst many others.

I am a bit of a stickler for time. Always have been. When I got married I told Ally that if she kept me waiting more than five minutes she would arrive at the church to find me gone. Must be one of my Germanisms, of which I have many as some on the trip discovered. Sorry that is just me. Nothing personal!

On our trip we had some arduous days of long time in the saddle. On these days it is imperative that an eye is kept on the time for the whole day. Time has a habit of passing you by and before you know it you are racing on bad roads to make camp in time. Believe me, this is when shit happens.

Our trip from Rakops to Pipers Camp we left nearly an hour late. We were also delayed at Matswere Gate due to poor planning. This resulted in an unpleasant race to Piper Pan in order to get there before sunset. We were lucky we all made it without major damage but it is a situation that must be avoided.

On our trip to Kubu Island we discovered that the short route through the pans was closed due to recent rains. This resulted in an hour detour. Fortunately we suspected this might be the case and had planned accordingly.

Another issue with travel in Africa. Sometimes, long days are unavoidable. I heard from nearly all the travellers how relentless and arduous these days are. Fortunately we had planned some rest days where we could just relax in camp or spend the day fixing, repacking and generally doing maintenance on our vehicles, trailers and equipment. If time allows plan a rest day every couple of days. You will be happy you did.

Good comms is imperative.

Cash is king

While cards are generally accepted in Africa you will always come across the need to have cash on hand. Never travel without local currency. At least enough to fill your tank and enough for park entry fees, fire wood etc. Rather have too much cash than too little. You never know when or where you will be able to draw more. Don’t rely on the next town to have a working ATM or that every fuel station will accept cards. Towards the end of your trip you can always use your left over cash to fill your tank as fuel is generally cheaper in our neighbouring countries than in SA.

Water

Due to stupidity I lost all the water in my trailer tank. Fortunately I had another 50l tank in the car. If possible have a little emergency water or second container/tank stashed somewhere. It saved us and we managed with our 50l. We also had the reassurance to know that others in the party had ample water.

Camaraderie

A vital part of group travel is the camaraderie. On this trip we all helped each other out when necessary. Shared, tools, equipment, wood, water, helped repair each other’s cars and equipment and had some nice times around the fire.

Sometimes it is not your ability to handle a tool but an ability to analyse a problem and provide a possible solution.

When possible it is always good to chip in and assist but I did draw the line when Wessel tried to jump onto my lap when the lion made himself known. I was busy going down on a plate of ribs at the time so was not too interested in his advances. Don’t get between a German bear and his food. The result could be worse than a lion attack. He then tried to cosy up to my wife in the car. She seemed to be quite charmed until she realised that he had left all the doors open.

The funniest was watching Wessel sitting on the edge of his chair, all uptight and nervous, like a sixteen year old girl waiting to do a pregnancy test. I’m sure I saw beads of sweat.

Vehicles, Trailers and Equipment

Overlanding, as on dirt roads and tracks, takes a heavy toll on all of the above. Everything takes a pounding. Any weak points will be found out.

It is very different doing 9-10 hours over bad roads far from help than doing a trail on a Saturday morning 100km from home.

Before departure be sure that all your stuff is in tip top shape. If you are towing, bear in mind that your tow hitch needs special attention. Try to have it inspected or inspect it yourself. Don’t think because you have a tow hitch that it is strong enough to tow your rig over rough terrain. It was probably fitted by an idiot. Most were.

Whenever you stop along the route, have a quick look around your rig. You may be able to pick up problems early, preventing major damage or repairs.

Personally I think a TPMS is imperative.

Avoidances

While on an overlanding trip the objective is to go from A to A with any number of stops along the route. Leave home. Travel to all your destinations along the way and get back home without problems.

Now mechanical problems do happen. But don’t go looking for trouble.

Avoid running out of time. Don’t race. Take it easy.

Avoid looking for trouble, like mud, water and other extreme obstacles. Take a detour if possible.

On this trip we decided to investigate the short route across the pans to Kubu island. We all enjoyed it. We all regretted it. The mud was thick. It got in everywhere. Some tried to wash the mud off while on the trip causing further problems.

Yes, it is fun to play and look for challenging obstacles and drive through mud/water. Leave those things for your Saturday morning trail drives close to home. A recovery from an African country is not fun.

Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks Andreas - useful info!

I must admit that Pierre has done a sterling job and set the bar way too high for the likes of me!

I did, however, at one time wonder if the bowel movements were going to be included

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Thanks for your input Andreas. It is always good to take note of the info from someone that has paid the school fees already. 👌
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

One of the lesson's I learnt on this trip:

Don't Believe Everything Andreas Says:

So we are fresh into Bots & driving to Papalye on day two.
Chatting on the Radio, I ask Andreas what ATM's are available.
I'd prefer to draw cash from my own Bank's ATM - Standard Bank.

Andreas asks if we advised our banks that we'd be making international withdrawals.
I say "What? No? Why?"

He explains that, with fraud, they may not allow withdrawals outside of SA.

I ask if he got authority to draw internationally.

He says he does so before every trip.

Now Tammy & I are stressing, but I have a sneaking suspicion Andreas is wrong...

...anyhoo, it turns out Andreas was just jerking my chain. the SOB.

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Andreas asks if we advised our banks that we'd be making international withdrawals.
I say "What? No? Why

He is actually correct
I do inform my bank before any international travel
I give them dates aswell as this do help prevent Fraud

Agree with Andreas
Plan if possible 1 hour contingency in your travel times
the Bowel movements were catered for at most campsites with a super long Drop
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

But Bugger, you also went for a PCR test to get in and one to get out - despite being fully Vaxxed! :D

I, unlike others, had no issue drawing money in Bots.... :lol:

Flipside

Post by Flipside »

Beautifully described Andreas, I am sure Wessel will remember the lion for a long time 🤣
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Most SADC banks have existing cross-border agreements that do not require bank approvals.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I've travelled internationally a lot in my life. I've never had issues drawing money anywhere.

In the beginning, I used to notify my bank about when / where I travelled. It mattered not - I'd still get calls every single occasion I drew money. And these were first world countries. Switzerland, Netherlands, USA etc. And then one occasion when I went to Nigeria I decided not to notify them. And I drew money there and they never bothered calling at all.

So I've never bothered notifying them again since the when transacting overseas. And since I've stopped letting them know when I'm travelling overseas, they've never bothered me again. Ever.

Edit: I mean - I've never had issues drawing money when there has been a working ATM. I do ensure I have enough cash on hand when I'm travelling in remote areas.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Remember: Andrea's was joking when he said I needed permission from my bank.
He was:
Jerking my chain.
Rattling my cage.
Jerking around.
Making a funny.
Deliberately misleading me in the interests of humour.
Pranking me.
Having a laugh at my expense.
Exploiting my naivety for mirth.
Not being serious....

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

… just use my visa overseas and take cash on way out.
Opened those intnl ‘draw anywhere’ accounts ( here)
and enabled capability etc but hardly used them ,
… just waste wrt fees, exchange rate exploitation etc ,
… closed on return.
But I think Africas a different kettle ‘of fish’
… when I go through Kazangula Ill carry all denoms of cash coins , paperwork etc

Make sure you arrange cell-phone comms etc,
intl roaming, local sims and local cell phone data etc
… case you need phone out, ‘call a friend’ etc.

… seen that John Wick guy slips a few Gold Coins
this way & that … I just use a few R5 coins …
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Looks like Andreas fooled some of you more than he fooled me. :D :) :lol:

IT WAS A JOKE!!!!

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Paul#25 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:45 pm
Thanks for your input Andreas. It is always good to take note of the info from someone that has paid the school fees already. 👌
Ditto.

And then you still get idiots that do not listen to that advice. I just sit back, light a fire, crack a beer and every now and again throw in a little "I told you so" chirp at said idiots.
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731