The House Doctor

4WheelingSA

TV, Youtube, Online & other shows
Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 4:
Hogsback to Dwesa Nature Reserve

On Day 4, we faced a critical decision: whether to stay another day in Hogsback or move on. Despite searching for suitable accommodation options in Hogsback, we couldn't find anything ideal. Camping was out of the question due to the ongoing mud and disappointing bathrooms. However, we did manage to capture some stunning scenic views from the viewpoint at Away with Fairies using the drone.

In the morning, I contacted Eastern Cape Parks to inquire about arriving earlier at Dwesa. Thankfully, they confirmed the availability of a campsite for an extra night. This news delighted everyone, especially my daughter, as it meant reaching the coast sooner and escaping the cold, wet weather.

Before leaving Hogsback, we made a quick visit to the 39 Steps waterfall, which we highly recommend. Although there are many other waterfalls to explore, time constraints limited our options.

We considered taking an alternative gravel route past the Madonna and Child waterfall, but we were warned that the road might be too slippery and muddy for towing the caravan. Thus, we chose the main road out of Hogsback, hoping to avoid more mud-related challenges.

Initially, most of the journey was incident-free, but as we neared KwaNgculu, we encountered deteriorating road conditions due to recent rainfall. The road became increasingly rough and slow, causing our GPS estimated arrival time to continually extend. The stretch from Mtokwane was particularly bad, prompting me to switch to Low Range to prevent damage to the vehicle and caravan. The final section leading to Dwesa was the worst, and I strongly advise against attempting this route with a towed caravan without a 4x4. A 4x2 with high clearance should be manageable for solo travel.

By the time we arrived at the Dwesa main gate, it was already past 5 pm, and the sun had set. Unfortunately, load shedding affected their systems, delaying our paperwork completion. Our lack of cell signal further complicated the situation.

Eventually, all the necessary formalities were sorted, and we made our way to the campsite in pitch darkness. While searching for the campsite near the ablution block, we inadvertently turned onto a two-track road. Realizing our mistake, we tried to turn around, but it proved challenging with the caravan in tow. We had to unhook the trailer and carefully maneuver the Fortuner to change direction. Fortunately, I had brought recovery ropes, which came in handy to get the Bush Lapa back on track.

Once we located the campsite, we were met with a very muddy area. Despite the challenging conditions, we managed to find a dry spot. Setting up camp at 8 pm, we were relieved to have a safe spot. However, upon checking the ablution facilities, we discovered there was no electricity and no running water due to an Eskom problem. This posed a problem as we didn't want to use our drinking water for showering.

We decided to drive back to the main gate to seek help. They apologized for the inconvenience and informed us that a water truck was on its way to provide water for the bathrooms. They also promised to supply us with water. Although we were waiting for the water truck, they brought us water for the bathrooms, allowing us to use the toilets.

After a long day's drive and dealing with unforeseen challenges, we settled for a simple snack before retiring early. Once again, we had no concrete plans for the following day. With some signal, I managed to email White Clay Resort to inquire about arriving earlier.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 5:
Dwesa Nature Reserve

We woke up in the morning uncertain whether we would stay put or head to White Clay Resort. Despite a weak reception, I managed to send them an email, and they confirmed our earlier arrival.

As the kids' excitement grew and they couldn't wait any longer, we decided to head to the beach. This choice altered our plans. The beach turned out to be breathtakingly beautiful, and we had it all to ourselves. This led us to extend our stay for another day, with our journey to White Clay Resort postponed until the following day.

The scenery at Dwesa is undeniably extraordinary. It became apparent that we were the sole occupants of the area. Throughout the day, there was a water delivery for washing and toilet use, but it's important to note that this water was not suitable for consumption. Thankfully, our water tank held ample drinking water.

In the daylight, the aftermath of recent heavy rains became evident. The campsite was quite messy due to the mud. Fortunately, we managed to find a dry patch and navigate around some of the mud.

Much of our day was spent at the beach, where we marveled at the size of the sea shells – they were quite large. However, it's worth mentioning that collecting shells is prohibited by law.

As evening descended, we finally enjoyed a delightful campfire and a proper braai.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 6:
Dwesa to White Clay Resort (Coffee Bay)

It was time for us to pack up and depart from Dwesa. The water we were using for washing and other purposes was becoming increasingly dirty, as though it might have been sourced directly from the river.

We had two options: return to the N2 via the same challenging road we had taken to arrive, or opt for the backroads through the villages. Both routes would take about the same amount of time, but the backroads were more direct.

We settled on the back roads through the villages. The journey began smoothly with the road in good condition, giving us hope for a quick and easy drive. However, the road's quality deteriorated as we progressed. Approaching the bridge over the Mbashe River, we encountered a sign cautioning that the road was dangerous and should not be overtaken (although overtaking was hardly feasible). In this section, I mostly had to engage Low Range for safe navigation.

Our progress was slow, and we managed to reach speeds of no more than 40 km/h at best. It turned out to be a long day of driving as we passed through numerous villages. We had prepared for this leg of the journey by bringing along books and pencils to distribute to the children we encountered. Witnessing the smiles on their faces was truly heartwarming. Most of the local residents were friendly and greeted us with waves.

At last, we hit the tarred road leading to Coffee Bay, expecting a smooth and swift drive. However, the last portion of the tar road was actually worse than the gravel roads we had traversed. The potholes were large and deep, and in some instances, it was more practical to drive alongside the road.

As we approached White Clay, we discovered that a section of the final route was closed. This posed a challenge, but fortunately, a local resident provided us with alternative directions. Despite the closure of the alternative route being indicated on T4A, it had become the main route. I have since sent them our route to update their map.

Finally arriving at White Clay, we were greeted by lush grassy areas to set up camp and breathtaking views. It was also the moment we could finally prepare our porkneck potjie. It might be wise to bring your own braai equipment, as while some were available for use, they might not be sufficient when the campsite is busy.

White Clay was just as we remembered it: unassuming yet clean, with everything in working order. We felt a sense of relief being there. Over the next few days, we planned to take things easy after a day of extensive driving. Today's journey had taken us over six hours.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 7:
White Clay Resort & Hole in the Wall

Today promised a more leisurely pace with less driving ahead. Our destination was the renowned Hole in the Wall at Coffee Bay in the Eastern Cape. Although we had previously visited the lookout point, we had yet to explore the beach itself. Our goal was to embrace the beach view, and I held out hope for discovering the elusive Baby Hole in the Wall.

Our initial stop took us to the primary viewpoint, the very spot where most tourists capture their photographs. We followed suit, even launching the drone to gain a unique aerial perspective.

A humorous encounter colored our journey. En route to the viewpoint, a gentleman offered his guiding services, a proposition we politely declined. Surprisingly, he reappeared at the viewpoint, making another attempt. His dedication became apparent when he raced back from the viewpoint to join us near the hotel, showcasing his commitment. This time, swayed by his persistence, we decided to give him a chance. He had certainly earned it. He led us from the Hole in the Wall hotel, where we parked our Fortuner, to the beach view. He guided us to a captivating ocean vista where waves crashed against majestic rocks, a sight we likely would have overlooked without his guidance.

His generosity extended further, offering to lead us to the Baby Hole in the Wall, a short drive from the hotel. The excursion proved its worth, as the secluded beauty of the Baby Hole is often missed by the masses. The drone once again proved invaluable, allowing us to capture breathtaking views up close.

Upon our return to the Hole in the Wall Hotel, we spent quality time on the beach with our children. However, caution was advised due to scattered glass bottles along the shoreline. Our afternoon concluded with a late lunch at the hotel, a gesture of gratitude for using their parking facilities. While open parking was an option, we had concerns about its security.

With the day's adventures behind us, we retreated to the comfort of White Clay Resort, unwinding for the remainder of the day.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 8
White Clay; Impuza River Mouth

During our stay at White Clay, we were fortunate to have an extra day (due to us leaving Dwesa a day early), allowing us the opportunity to explore both the Impuza River Mouth and the Umtata River Mouth.

On my own, I ventured to the Impuza River Mouth early in the morning, as the rest of the family had their fill of driving. This turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip! The journey involved a bit of a 4x4 adventure, and the scenery proved to be absolutely breathtaking. Driving up a mountain with the ocean beside me provided a truly spectacular view. The descent to the river mouth was equally enjoyable. I highly recommend this drive to anyone in the area, though it could be a bit challenging if the road is wet. The views at the river mouth itself were just as awe-inspiring.

In the afternoon, we made our way to the Umtata River Mouth. Compared to the morning's adventure, this was less extraordinary. Given the choice, I would definitely opt for the Impuza River mouth. Notably, it's also closer to White Clay and requires less time.

The remainder of the day was dedicated to packing up, preparing for our early departure the following morning.

As this marked the end of our journey, we decided to treat ourselves to dinner at the Restaurant at White Clay. While the food was acceptable, I'm relieved I didn't order calamari. The dish appeared to consist of frozen food that was simply reheated. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the meal a 6. At least we were spared the task of cooking, since most of our belongings were already packed away.

I trust you've enjoyed reading this trip report. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

We would greatly appreciate your support for our YouTube series as well by watching it. Part 2 is scheduled for release on Saturday (Balloch to Hogsback), with the final installment (Dwesa to White Clay/Hole in the Wall) expected in approximately two weeks. When factoring in the time spent on the trip and editing, the entire project spanned eight weeks. All expenses were covered out of our own pockets, as unfortunately, we were not sponsored.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Part 2 of our Eastern Cape Trip is now on YouTube. In this episode we travel to Hogsback. We found more than enough snow. I think we were actually the last car down Barkly Pass before they closed it due to snow.

https://youtu.be/n7MjfyVRkEs

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

The last Episode of the Eastern Cape trip is now on YouTube. We visit Dwesa Nature Reserve and from there we travel via the back roads to White Clay Resort from where we visit Hole in the Wall and some of the more scenic attractions in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsyB4v8DAMg

If the video seems a bit negative in the beginning it is because that is how we felt at that stage. Luckily the scenery made up for it.

Thank you for everyone who watched the series thus far. Every single view helps. I am completely self-funded and don't have any sponsors to assist in putting content together. This makes it very difficult to put a series like this together.

Now to decide what is next in terms of videos to come...

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I played around with the drone footage I captured during the Eastern Cape trip. Also did not use my main editing software, but used Capcut (free desktop version).

https://youtu.be/qmYXyvfQh70

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I need to plan the long term review on the Toyota Fortuner. Next year it will be 6 years old. Would there be any specific questions you would like to be covered?

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Please mention how many times it was stolen, how many times you were hi-jacked and if you were murdered during any of the hi-jackings.
Just so the haters can feel better about buying a lesser brand.
Also, please go into how much it costs to insure - for the same reasons...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Mad Manny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:08 am
Please mention how many times it was stolen, how many times you were hi-jacked and if you were murdered during any of the hi-jackings.
Just so the haters can feel better about buying a lesser brand.
Also, please go into how much it costs to insure - for the same reasons...
Well, the first 3 will be none, otherwise I would not have been able to do a long term review, only initial impressions... :lol:

The insurance is on par with 2 Amaroks I have owned (considering the increase in value for newer vehicles etc).

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I've had a Fortuner for 13 years and haven't been hi-jacked once.
Maybe you and I are exceptions.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

Well my fleet exists out of 158 vehicles, 90 % Hilux's , we lost one recently, and I still suspect the driver's involvement.
I have three more Hilux's on order.
Fords are as high a target, Everests and Rangers same as Toyota's.
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Redman

Post by Redman »

Why haven't you rolled it yet ('n Fortuner is mos soos 'n vlakvark, as hy grond sien wil hy daarin rol)
How a Toyotaholic sticker adds 15% torque to a Toyota (problem is these stickers gives one the urge to drink and drive)

Redman

Post by Redman »

On a serious note, always interesting to see how the vehicle performed over this period. Fuel consumption etc.
Things that irritated you about it
What would you replace it with if you had to (we all know the correct answer is a White Fortuner, but still)
Modds. What worked and what didn't