Healthy Sleep

4WheelingSA

TV, Youtube, Online & other shows
Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I still have to do it. The plan was to test it during the 3 Provinces weekend. Unfortunately we did not even reach the place (And the weekend was a washout apparently as well due to all the rain).
The plan was to test it to see if I could charge all my camera equipment etc. and the test it at home during load shedding.
At this stage all I can say is that it can run the TV, laptop and wifi for 4 hours during load shedding.
For now it does what it is supposed to do.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Just a quick update on videos I am working on:
Langebaan overview video (A quick travel video)
Fortuner 5 Year review
BFG 30,000 km review (there will be one in Afrikaans and English)
Hennops offroad trail

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Recently was in the Langebaan area for work. Had some time after work and I took my drone and GoPro with.

This is the result:
https://youtu.be/T2PckSf4Tas

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Are the BFG KO2 Tyres worth it?

I have recently done a short review on the BFG KO2 Tyres based on my Experience. I am not sponsored to them, so I can therefore say what I want. Note that I have the US manufactured once which seems to do better than the ones from Thailand in terms of chipping on the tread.

https://youtu.be/PsEN9LOCnNI

I even made an Afrikaans version for people who might be intersted:

https://youtu.be/tqUw3r_Yd5Q

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Have visited Hennops a couple of weeks ago. It was a solo trip and during this I tried to capture some points on what people should look out for. The trail has also changed a bit since I have driven it previously. So I had to pack one or 2 rocks and changed the line I used on the past. Also came across a guy who got himself in a horrible position and took an even more horrible line trying to get out. Also opted for Hil49 this time and not the bigger water crossing.

https://youtu.be/4tEBhqMRPns

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

We recently went on a trip to the Eastern Cape.

The places we wanted to visit:
Rhodes
Hogsback
Dwesa Nature Reserve
Coffee Bay (White Clay Resort)

A lot of planning went into the trip. Even with all the planning we had some curve balls on the way. I am currently working on a 3 part YouTube series.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 0:
We set off early in the afternoon from our home, embarking on a journey to Zastron. The plan was to cover some distance on the first day to make the later days more manageable. It turned out to be a wise decision. The road was smooth until we left the N1 highway. The initial few kilometers were fine, but the condition of the tar road deteriorated significantly afterward (and we would encounter even worse roads later in the trip). Our route took us through Wepener before reaching Zastron.

By around 8:00 PM, we finally arrived at Zastron. Our accommodation for the night was Vultures Lodge, and we can sincerely recommend it to others. It provided a perfect place for a quick stopover. Perhaps not the most budget-friendly option, but definitely worth the money. Upon arrival, we were pleased to find that the heaters and electric blankets were already turned on, which felt like a well-deserved pampering, especially considering what lay ahead in the rest of the trip. We quickly had some food that we bought at Woolies (in JHB, not Zastron), and we also took the time to explore the interior of the lodge, which was quite interesting and had a unique building structure. Afterward, we decided to retire early for the night.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 1:
Zastron to Balloch Cottages

We woke up early and prepared the Fortuner and Bush Lapa for the day's drive. Once everything was packed up, I decided to fly the drone for a quick aerial view of Zastron and the surrounding area. The views were truly breathtaking, and it became evident that one could easily spend a whole day exploring this beautiful region.

After refueling with diesel, we left Zastron and headed towards Sterkfontein. Along the way, we crossed the Zastron bridge, which spans the Orange River. It almost seemed as if the river was flowing in the opposite direction here, but looking at the map, it made more sense.

Continuing from the Zastron bridge, we followed the path towards the Tellebridge border post. At the border post, we made a right turn and followed the Telle River. Soon after, we reached a point where we needed to deflate the tires to 1.8 bar all around, including the trailer. The drive along the Tele River offered mesmerizing views, with its crystal-clear waters and occasional blue-ish hues in certain spots (you'll need to watch the video to understand why).

During our journey, we encountered what looked like a mini canyon formed by erosion, making it an interesting spot for a photo stop (you'll see it in the video). On the way, we also came across some sheep but no cows yet. The locals we encountered were very friendly, although we did have one incident where a child thought it was a good idea to bounce his soccer ball off the Bush Lapa while we were driving past.

As we continued, we reached a village from where we could see snow-capped mountains in the distance. We were hopeful to encounter more snow later on, little did we know what awaited us in just two days.

Leaving the river behind, we proceeded on the Lundeansnek Pass. Along the way, we spotted a small waterfall, and I took the drone for a closer view. The pass was an easy drive, and we reached the summit, where we captured the obligatory photo with the sign. Descending through the War Trail Valley, we once again caught sight of snow-capped peaks on the higher mountains.

I must mention that filming the trip does require extra time and effort, and despite having numerous ideas inspired by other videos, it's impossible to capture everything. There's just so much to see and document.

Finally, we arrived at the entrance to Balloch. It's essential to note that it takes at least another 15 minutes to drive to the cottages from the entrance. We decided to stay at the cottage due to uncertain weather conditions. Although the wind picked up initially, it later subsided, allowing me to capture some fantastic shots of the area.

For dinner, we enjoyed Spaghetti Carbonara. One of the great amenities at Balloch is the provision of wood for the fireplace, which helped keep the cottage warm. The power supply is from hydroelectricity, so no concerns about load shedding. However, it's important to be aware that there is no cellular reception, and during our stay, the WiFi wasn't functioning.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 2:
Today, we had an exciting trip planned. After gathering information about various routes, we settled on our itinerary: starting from Balloch, we would head to Rhodes, then take the Carlislehoekspruit Pass to Tiffendell, hoping to witness some snow there. Next, we planned to traverse the Tiffendell Tennahead Traverse (TTT), stop for a coffee break at Tennahead, and finally descend using the Naudesnek Pass.

We were warned that certain routes might be closed, and in such a case, the alternative was to take the Volunteershoek Pass. At this point, we hadn't encountered much snow, and we were informed that it was expected to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

Setting off towards Rhodes, we made a quick stop at the steel bridge. The scenery en route to Rhodes was absolutely breathtaking. Upon reaching the village, we drove through and made a stop at a local shop to buy some delicious fresh bread.

Continuing our journey from Rhodes, we took the Tiffendell turn-off, passing through local farms until we reached the Carlislehoekspruit Pass. This pass might not be suitable for those who fear heights and tight turns. The most challenging section had a cemented surface, providing good traction. However, there was an alternative B-route, which seemed washed out at first glance. We opted for the cemented part, maneuvering through a sharp bend with ease by maintaining the right momentum. Note that for the concrete sections, it's best to engage 2H.

After tackling the steepest part of the pass, we stumbled upon a small patch of snow. Taking a quick break, we continued on to Tiffendell.

Near Tiffendell, we found a delightful patch of snow, where we had some fun throwing snowballs and enjoying the wintry scene.

We were informed that parts of the TTT had snow, but it appeared that no one else was attempting it at the moment. Considering our situation, with two kids in the vehicle, and unsure about the road ahead, we decided to skip the TTT and opted for the Volunteershoek Pass instead.

As we proceeded, we began encountering more snow on the road, most of which was manageable to drive over. Eventually, we came across a large pile of snow blocking the road. Uncertain about the conditions ahead and the risk of getting stuck, especially with the snowfall starting, we decided not to proceed and turned back down the Carlislehoekspruit Pass. Although we missed out on continuing further, at least we had experienced the pass on both our ascent and descent.

Returning to Balloch as the day grew late, we lit the fireplace and soon started noticing small snowflakes falling around us.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Part 1 of our trip as discussed for the days above is now available on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/HBjIhf_Bz00

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

That is such a beautiful part of our country. We've been wanting to go back to that area for a more relaxed visit since doing the Mountain Passes Trip with the club in 2018. The trip gave us a fantastic overview but we were constantly moving on to the next area. The TT Traverse was great but I wouldn't attempt it alone and towing unless the weather was perfect.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Never been down that way for a tour, but always wanted to. Thanks for the video.

We're going down to PE in November, so I'll try detour past Rhodes.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Paul#25 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:23 am
That is such a beautiful part of our country. We've been wanting to go back to that area for a more relaxed visit since doing the Mountain Passes Trip with the club in 2018. The trip gave us a fantastic overview but we were constantly moving on to the next area. The TT Traverse was great but I wouldn't attempt it alone and towing unless the weather was perfect.
Thanks Paul.

Yes, the TTT we would have done without towing, but with being advised against it we skipped it. With the family in the car the risk was not worth it.

Still want to do a trip there and drive all the passes.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

jakeslouw wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:06 pm
Never been down that way for a tour, but always wanted to. Thanks for the video.

We're going down to PE in November, so I'll try detour past Rhodes.
Thank you, definitely worthwhile, the progress is just slow in that part of the world.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Day 3:
Day three turned out to be a day of surprises and challenges. Our plan was to depart from Balloch and head to Hogsback, where we had booked camping at Away with the Fairies.

When we woke up, the world around us was transformed by a fresh layer of snow, not just old snow from previous days. The Fortuner and Bush Lapa were beautifully covered in snow, creating a captivating sight that urged us to venture out and explore.

Leaving Balloch, we drove through the snowy landscape, stopping along the way to appreciate the scenic beauty. Near Barkley East, we decided to inflate our tires as we transitioned from gravel roads.

Just after Barkley, we paused to take some photos of the snow. It was at that moment when a Land Cruiser 100 series approached us from the front, warning about the snowy conditions on Barkley Pass. They had experienced sliding and decided to turn around. Feeling uncertain about the best course of action and limited space to turn the Bush Lapa around, we decided to continue carefully until we felt it was too dangerous to proceed.

As we continued, several other vehicles approached us from the front, some turning back due to the challenging conditions. We even passed a jackknifed truck. The road began to resemble a narrow path, but fortunately, we maintained traction and managed to navigate through. We wondered if the added weight of the trailer aided in keeping the rear wheels grounded.

Once we reached the bottom of the pass, we felt relieved. Police cars were stationed there, indicating we might have been among the last vehicles to descend the pass safely.

Our journey continued towards Hogsback, where we left the tar road and I promptly deflated the tires again. Initially, the gravel road was bumpy but manageable. However, as we progressed, we encountered snowy and muddy sections, leading to a fun but muddy clean-up later on.

Upon arriving in Hogsback, we made our way to Away with the Fairies. Due to the cold, wet conditions, and the time being around 5:00 PM, we inquired about upgrading from camping to self-catering. Fortunately, they had an available unit, albeit with only one double bed for the four of us. Nevertheless, it was a welcome option considering the extremely muddy campground. Maneuvering the Bush Lapa became challenging, and we were surprised to find unisex bathrooms, which wasn't quite to our preference.

In the evening, we headed out for pizza, but the place was dimly lit due to load shedding. Despite the leaking roof at our table and the slow service, the pizza was satisfactory.

Feeling a bit disheartened and faced with wet and muddy conditions, we retired to bed early, unsure of our plans for the following day. We knew we needed to figure out the way forward amid the challenges we encountered.