4WheelingSA

TV, Youtube, Online & other shows
Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Mad Manny wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:10 pm
Where I think you can improve:
* You need a drone.

* A little less 'selfie' time - as drop dead gorgeous as you are (you make women & Kurt moist) I'd rather you faced the camera to the view than to you a little more.
Not that the 'Selfie' talking into the camera stuff is bad, just a little less of it.
Example: I was looking at your handsome chiseled face as you were saying there is a herd of Eland (I think?) nearby.
I'd rather the camera was facing them rather than you at that point.

It's nowhere near as bad as Andre Agter Ewenaar Slot's 4x4 Routes where the cameraman is so enthralled with Andre (who he clearly loves & adores) that he NEVER takes the camera off Andre - even when Andre is pointing to & describing a cross axle just off screen.
That cameraman keeps the camera firmly on Andre & only Andre all the time. It's why I stopped watching.

* Windows 3/4 up when doing an obstacle, most drivers (especially on the Moolmanshoek video) had theirs fully open - as an 'influencer' :D you can't be seen to be promoting bad behaviour.

Well done Henk, you are definitely in the Top 5 SA 4x4 Youtube Video producers...
Hi Manny

Thanks for the feedback - this is how one learns.

1. I agree on the drone - the only issue is the cost (Unfortunately I am not sponsored, so have to build up equipment over time, but yes, in this video a drone would have worked really well to create a bigger feel.
2. Will work on the Selfie stuff - thanks for pointing it out. It means it is a GoPro I can use elsewhere and rather add voice over the video if required.
3. On the window - that is a very good point! Although I was not leading the group I will point it out. My window is closed most of the time.

It was difficult to do this in a group, ideally you would have to stop and zoom out etc, so on the move it is not ideal.

Appreciate the comments! Rather work on them instead of not know of them.

One learn something new with each video.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Mad Manny wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:53 pm
Henk, some tips, comments & suggestions from me.

Disclaimer: This is input on things I like about your videos & things I think you could improve on.
No, I don't think I can do better, I'm just giving input as an Off Road User & viewer of 4x4 Youtube channels.

I will, unfairly, compare you to what is probably the premier 4x4 Youtube channel; 4WD Action Australia/4WD 24/7
Please take this comparison as a compliment - we appreciate you do not have the time, finances & backup those Aussies have.

What I LIKE about your videos:
Your 'pitch' is perfect - you aim them at the normal, average 4x4 owner.
Others, like Off Course 4x4 are more focused on the hard core stuff.
I like that you found a niche & are not competing with many others.

Your production (the professionalism & polish of the product) is surprisingly good.

Your video length is perfect, 7 to 10 mins on average. Love that.
Most guys producing longer videos either are lazy editors, or pad to get to 30 mins.
30 mins is too long.

Your are humble & down to earth - there is no ego. I feel like you are chatting to me - not the legions you command.

You are very positive. Most South African YouTubers are very dour & negative.
I don't like Roam Overlanding, but I did like that he kept it upbeat & positive.
Just that him saying 'This is a stunning, stunning, stunning place, it really is just wonderful' got on my tits.
The overseas guys get that positivity right. So well done.

You largely choose interesting venues & you leave the viewer with a 'I want to go to' feeling.

I'll put the 'negative' critique in the next post - so you have one great complimentary post! :lol:
Thanks Manny

Interesting enough I saw the "negative" one first (which I don't see as negative, lots of positives to take).

I am glad that I came across the way I do.

Main purpose for me is to attrack people to go out and do 4x4 stuff.

Don't want to be they guy who says I am at this place with my @sponsored car opening my @sponsored fridge sleeping in my @sponsored rooftop tent. :mrgreen:

Your video timing comment is spot on, I have just run a poll on YouTube and the people agree with it.

I will be trying to put in some other stuff as well - like my December holiday. But the idea is to make it around the vehicle and camping.

It is about focusing on the 4x4 lifestyle and using your vehicle for everything is was designed for.

I am glad that it inspires people to visit the places. It is not common places (like the Kruger), so you do find that there are less people searching for it.

It is always good to benchmark yourself against the bigger guys, that way you keep on improving.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Shane wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:58 pm
Manny I think you nailed it! And I hope that Henk sees this in the positive manner that you intended.

Yes he is good looking (sadly not my type)- but if he feels the need to show someone let it rather be a younger, better looking (female) cousin - or something of the sort Image. Not too young or too good looking or else the 4x4 might not be the action us guys are focusing on.

As for the rest - I think it's good. I can't even do this - never mind better.

And I watch his channel because if I can't be out there wheeling - at least I can watch someone that is.

Light entertainment.

Good job.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, unfortunately I can't use my wife, she gets out on most obstacles and wont drive the car either.

Glad you enjoy it.

Appreciate all the comments.

Shane

Post by Shane »

Henk as I said, I watch your channel and I enjoy your content.

I get to "ride" with you when I cannot go myself.

Just a thought - use it/don't use it - but maybe just include the contact details/person of the venue with each video?

I started compiling a list of numbers for the Free-state venues but have put that on pause (for now) as I found that some numbers listed on the net are no longer functional.....

So you might do a trail for which I need the number...... Might up your views?

Other than that, as said before - well done.

For a one man band I think you're doing a good job

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Thanks Shane

Good comment. Will mention it and leave it in the description of the video (this will allow you to update it if it changes and you can click on the link to the website.

Will also only be using google maps going forward (keep it simple) and show the distance from Johannesburg.

Would have been great if I could have maps of the trails, but some of them don't have maps and then it becomes another mission to run a GPS to do bread crumb tracks and I am already using the charging point for the camera.

Thanks for watching the videos!

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I had a mate who worked at Map Studio.

Years ago I suggested he do a few trails with me.
We'll save the trail on Garmin & then he could produce a Map of the trail.

He wasn't interested - his issue was there was no business case for doing it.

We then discussed putting it on a SIM/SD card that people doing the trail could 'rent' & then put in their device to see the trail map.

But at that time Isuzu were working on Isuzu Trailview, so we scrapped the idea.

I'm not sure whatever happened to Isuzu Trailview.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I think the guy from Zondagh Adventure Finder or something like this are doing some sort of trail mapping.

Best would be if the trails can provide you with a map before you start (I just won't be on your GPS).

Not sure how well tracks are mapped on Tracks for Africa?

Latest I can see on the Isuzu Trail view is around 2014, so I assume it is sort of dead now...

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Part 2 of the Moolmanshoek video is now on YouTube! They call this Nature's version of Gerotek!

Link to the video:
https://youtu.be/SUlym1wil10

Thanks for all the comments thus far! Some of them I was able to include in the edit. Some of them will only be able to include in future videos.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

The latest Episode is now on YouTube. A bit of a different angle, this one focus more on the lifestyle around the vehicle. Also a bit of travelling and camping. I want to bring this in since I want to share the complete package around the vehicle.

Fear not, there will be coming an Episode where we drive through the Baviaanskloof.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0FQ30cYBZk&t=11s

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

We recently completed a trip through the Eastern Cape. As part of this trip we have driven through Baviaanskloof.
I have put together a video of this and please join us by watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-FUtptsxMg&t=632s

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I have a new video on YouTube. In this video I review the Bush Lapa Miskruier.

https://youtu.be/IP7F57gdX5E

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Ok, can I maybe say it is back to normal for the new video? We did the John Rock 4x4 trail. There is a bit of a twist, some recoveries and driving one of the awesome obstacles they have. Did you know that they add a something new every 6 months? Even the campsite keeps on getting better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCEMLvp7Yec&t=613s

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I have uploaded a new video on YouTube. In this video I am driving the Quick Pitch Adventure Centre 4x4 trail.

A nice a fun trail to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVADMHm4HWY
Attachments
Quick Pitch Thumb_5.1.1_5.1.2.jpg

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

How do you guys deflate tyres? I have tried a couple of methods to see which one is the best. Video is now on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI9gVErs2aU

Let me know what you guys think.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Indeflate is the best way.
I was one of the first to use one.
Great product.

The 4 pipe one is a bit stupid though...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'