Healthy Sleep

Recovery Points and Shackles.

Jeanvn

Post by Jeanvn »

Chris Stoffel wrote:
Jeanvn wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:04 pm
I have actually done a pretty decent recovery of those Oom Chris, but a pull and not a snatch.
Have winch will use though.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I should have mentioned that those things of mine is on top of the front bumper and not at the bottom underneath the vehicle like the others are.
It seems that they are meant for recovery.
I’ll have a look at the points today.

IIRC they are fitted to the chassis.

My winch had a moment of impotence and I was sliding into the bushes next to the track when I had to use them.

Was a steep dune I had to be pulled out off,
I reckon we had some pretty hectic forces going.

105 Land Cruiser
Amabroekies v6

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

Hi Jean, mine is bolted to the chassis. We are fine. I have a hook on the other side that I mounted myself.
Suzuki Jimny - Hobbit Car :cry:

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

As mentioned before, no manufacturer that I’m aware of rates their recovery points
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Chris you can swap those points for these. Plus they are rated

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

Rating - this indicates how strong the item is and what loads it can take before it breaks. Shackles have the letters WLL on them. I think it is Weight Lift Limit. There is a safety factor as well, X5. It can take 5 times the weight that is on the shackle.
Bolts are also rated. I don't know much about bolt's and won't discuss bolts. It would be nice if someone that knows about bolts can open a thread and educate us. Here is a pic of bolts and the lettering on the bolt heads. There is a shackle as well to show the specs. There is also CE on it. I think that indicates some standard. European standard?
Attachments
Recovery 004.jpg

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:53 am

I got one of those on the other corner of my Jeep. Red. I like red! ;)

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

I think I might have a black one lying around if you want it

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

BTW:

WLL = Working load limit. Although recovery forces will be much higher.

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:53 am

"Rated" for a 10 000lb load - 4500 kg - half the rating of a fairly decent snatch strap ................

I still say it is fine to insist on "rated" shackles and bolts and even recovery points, but if it is attached to the incorrect part of the chassis or in an incorrect way, the rating means absolutely nothing. Sone chassis have rails made of 2-3 mm mild steel and just bolting a rated recovery point onto it without proper load spreading back plates and washers, is a futile exercise. Most aftermarket bumpers include welded on recovery points - how and by who was that "rated" and even if the point is made of 15 mm high carbon steel, how and by who was it welded onto the bumper? How strong is the steel it is attached too?
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

ThysleRoux wrote:
"Rated" for 10 000lb lifting - 4500 kg - half the rating of a fairly decent snatch strap ................
It’s about the same as a shackle. Although in reality you can multiply that rating by 4 or 5, unlike the kinetic strap. A Strap will fail before a shackles or hook

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:08 am
ThysleRoux wrote:
"Rated" for 10 000lb lifting - 4500 kg - half the rating of a fairly decent snatch strap ................
It’s about the same as a shackle. Although in reality you can multiply that rating by 4 or 5, unlike the kinetic strap. A Strap will fail before a shackles or hook
Is that "rating" an official one or just the manufacturer's limit? I would be very careful about trusting ratings that do not carry an official certification (SABS, etc) of the rating authority. It could create a false sense of security - like the "security" estates everybody wants to live in these days :roll:
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

OK Gentlemen. That concludes my contribution to Recovery Points and Shackles. My aim was to create awareness to this matter. It would be valued if more information is added. I have a lot to learn on this topic!

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

ThysleRoux wrote: Is that "rating" an official one or just the manufacturer's limit? I would be very careful about trusting ratings that do not carry an official certification (SABS, etc) of the rating authority.
I’d imagine that there would be some sort of testing Standard required.

The reality is that I’ve never seen a shackle or a hook fail. But I’ve seen plenty of ropes & straps shit the bed.

If you add 2 hooks to your vehicle then you’ve got about 9T WLL for extreme Recoveries. Still better than the rope/strap

Jeanvn

Post by Jeanvn »

Chris I have one of these on either side, using a bridle I wouldn’t mind doing a snatch off of it.

105 Land Cruiser
Amabroekies v6

Umpalumpa

Post by Umpalumpa »

Just as a side note.
Our lifting gear comes with certification for WLL and SWL.
This is provided by the manufacturer of said gear/equipment.
To stay conformed to that gear/equipment it needs to have an anual inspection by an approved/competent or experienced provider before it is being placed back in operation. Yes, this is for offshore work where rules are WAY MORE strict and controlled for all obvious reasons.

Thus, a WLL and SWL piece of equipment (Sling/hook/bridle/U-Bolt) that was bought in 1992 might not still have the same limitations since the day it was purchased. Storage of said lifting gear is also a factor and could also have an effect of its efficasy.
The biggest issue on this type of gear is the continuous inspections and being able to identify where possible failures might take place.
In such cases, our lifting gear, even if a piece was not used, will have a shelf life and be discarded or destroyed to prevent further useage.
Our lifting gear gets filed as disposable equipment.

There are really good insights to this thread.
With age comes wisdom.
With travel, comes understanding
- Sandra Lake