4x4 Action Group

Which manufacturers fit factory recovery points?

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

That's a maximum load - not a rating for recovery or as a recovery point or even as a safe working load.

also, as noted in my very technical power vs torque thread that Manny didn't understand at all the other day - lbs cannot be converted to kg, only to Newtons - or kgf it you are a whiny millennial with a 30% pass in maths literacy.

so 10 000lbs is 44 500 Newtons . presumably that refers to that hook's safe working load, but as it's not explicitly stated as SWL I don't even know what that means, it might be breaking load (i.e. absolute max load) but you certainly wouldn't be allowed to use it as lifting equipment.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Apocalypse wrote:
thats a maximum load - not a rating for recovery or as a recovery point or even as a safe working load.
Hence my point. It’s Rated then, which is more than can be said for the vast major of what people are using.

The rating itself is s different discussion. But from what I’ve seen the aftermarket ones tend to be 5000t SWL, slightly stronger than the shackles.

Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 pm
Apocalypse wrote:
thats a maximum load - not a rating for recovery or as a recovery point or even as a safe working load.
Hence my point. It’s Rated then, which is more than can be said for the vast major of what people are using.

The rating itself is s different discussion. But from what I’ve seen the aftermarket ones tend to be 5000t SWL, slightly stronger than the shackles.
you can get anything rated for a certain load with a simple test - you just lift a test weight and have it certified.

the problem is there is no such thing as a 'recovery rating' and a lot of people don't really understand the difference between 'SWL' and 'Breaking force' - something like a shackle with a 4,75ton SWL has a breaking force of 5 times that - 230kN

A 9000lb winch cable on the other hand will fail at very little more that 9000lbs = 40kN because thats it's breaking force not a safe working load (as you may not lift with that type of winch)

same goes for ropes - a 2ton SWL sling is good for 20tons (196kN) before it breaks, but a 13ton rope is only good for a little over 13 tons = 127kN because the 13 tons applies to it's breaking force.

so yes, you can have a hitch rated for a load - I think an M8 eyebolt is worth 500kg SWL , and if you fit it to your 4x4 you can claim it's a rated recovery hitch too - because it has a SWL rating, even if it's not suitable...

effectively the question is really, is your vehicle equipped with a recovery hitch with a breaking force of over (lets say) 100kN or 200kN or whatever someone has decided is a suitable limit for a recovery.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Apocalypse wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:10 pm
...also, as noted in my very technical power vs torque thread that Manny didn't understand at all the other day - lbs cannot be converted to kg, only to Newtons...
Ke?
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Alex, did you miss the bit where I said it is rated, which is the whole point of the thread? See stamp on the side.

grips

Post by grips »

Apocalypse wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am
there is no such thing as a 'rated' recovery point.

The rating on a shackle or eyebolt is a Safe Working load rating, and not a load rating.

no one has ever even tested the actual loads imposed during a recovery.

If you want a 'rated'' recovery rating , you could fit a rated eye bolt which has an SWL rating on it, but where / how you attach it is still a problem...

http://www.clevelandcityforge.com/indus ... -eyebolts/

as you can seee, if you want an eyebolt rated to 4,75tons, the same as the shackles most people use, you'll need a 1 1/8" eyebolt - thats a 30mm thread....
Very true. To get lifting equipment certified it needs an test certificate. So even with an SWL stamped on it it is rated but not certified.

So yes Alex I do agree 100% with your statements.

We are not even allowed to use a so called rated shackle or any other lifting equipment on the mines without test certificates.
In another thread I discussed it. My recovery kit did not came with any certification on snatch ropes and straps.The manufacturer did however supplied test certificates for the equipment.

The designer of the vehicle should have worked out the forces of the vehicle recovery points. Having them rated and certified would mean load testing them like Alex said.

I am still convinced that the advanced rigging courses I have done are more worth than any recovery training. Most instructors in recovery train how to use the equipment but have no clue about safety ratings and the technical aspects regarding the equipment and the forces that goes with.

Currently busy with a project regarding electric winches. To get this signed of and certified is not that easy. Every single component right down to bolt strengths needed to be certified and signed of by an engineer.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

KurtG wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:12 pm
Maybe it’s the arrogance of the designers.... “Ag please, my 4x4 carr-ent get stucked” ?
I think it is the other way around. Most manufacturers of 4x4 vehicles dread the day that an owner takes the vehicle to see its true 4x4 capabilities. Not because the vehicle can't handle most obstacles, but because of the knobs who think the are expert 4x4 drivers the moment they buy one. Then they tackle the wrong obstacle and another sorry knob has to recover them.

Expert 4x4 drivers are few and far in between.

No 4x4, apart from the Wrangler, is really made to do serious 4x4'ing in its stock form. So yes, I agree with XJ Junkie, if there was ever a vehicle which needed proper recovery points - it would be the wrangler.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

grips wrote:
Currently busy with a project regarding electric winches.
What sort of starter motor do you use?

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am
grips wrote:
:lol:
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

grips

Post by grips »

XJ Junkie wrote:
grips wrote:
550V three phaseImageImage

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

... werent some Series and Defenders
issued standard with Jate Rings ... ?
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

grips wrote: 550V three phaseImageImage
Wicked Image

grips

Post by grips »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am
Apocalypse wrote:there is no such thing as a 'rated' recovery point.
Bingo. Rated at 10000 LBS (circa 4.5t)

The old G60 Patrols came with these fitted OEM up front.
Attachments
cbdd7fb7713b4fb3919a00d3f4206d15.jpg

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

grips wrote:
The old G60 Patrols came with these fitted OEM up front.
So did the TJ Wrangler but it also had no rating stamped on it.

grips

Post by grips »

I still have the one from the Patrol will check if it have anything stamped on

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk