Henris ... this may be of interest :

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sh ... -to-J-burg
Thanks. Yes I can help

LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

henris

Post by henris »

I have been asked to put together a travel file.
Will mull it through and post a list of do's and dont's
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

henris

Post by henris »

Alex, this is for you.

6 x tyres rated at 900kg ea.
3 x BRAKED axles rated at 1,800kg ea
Coupler rated at 3,700kg

Troopie is a HDJ78R

You go check the spec
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Oppies3800

Post by Oppies3800 »

GVM and Tare of the Troopy

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Could this be sarcasm?

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:29 pm
Alex, this is for you.

6 x tyres rated at 900kg ea.
3 x BRAKED axles rated at 1,800kg ea
Coupler rated at 3,700kg

Troopie is a HDJ78R

You go check the spec
Oh okay we are on this now .

First of all, well done for upgrading from the original horror story that you built , and that I called you out on on the snowflake forum a while back .

To comment :

I can’t check the spec . You have the papers with the details . I don’t even know the year models or manufacturer of the trailer.

Feel free to post the data sheets or Reg documents ...

As far as I know the troopie in SA has a GVM of around 2500kg, a tare of arround 1750kg and a GCM of around 4000kg . I might be wrong . Please post your Reg documents to show what it is . It’s all on those .

It might have been uprated, it is possible . I don’t know . Post the Reg docs .

That means it can pull a trailer of around 1500kg - a bit more if the troopie is unladen.

If the vehicle has been upgraded to pull more , it can legally pull an overrun trailer of up to its tare . Around 1750kg - but again , please post the docs . I might be wrong .

The trailer also has a GCM. If it’s properly manufactured each axle will be rated for a maximum load - which governs its maximum braked capacity as well as its load capacity .

Again... please post the Reg docs

If the loaded trailer weighs more than the tare of the drawing vehicle , it will need service brakes - not overrun brakes - again , please post the Reg doc reflecting this .

Those are the legals and they are very much international. Not some stupid SA / SADC thing . For a very good reason. Practically , the law is based around good engineering principles. But even if we ignore them , and go with “how’s your father” builds , unless you’ve done some serious upgrades , it’s still underbraked and underspecced for the loads you are putting on it . And yes , so far , so good . But sooner or later, like a taxi or badly maintained bus or vehicle it will go wrong and someone will die .

The fact that insurance companies contract you because you sign the waiver stating that your equipment is compliant and adequate is meaningless . It doesn’t mean that it’s safe or legal. Just that you take responsibility for any disaster.

Again, I’m carrying no skin on this beyond the fact that you might kill one of my loved ones with your jalopy

Best you pray that doesn’t happen .

And again , please change my mind by posting your compliancy...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

henris

Post by henris »

LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

That’s the Australian spec .

In SA they were graded lower because they fitted cheaper brakes .

Either way, the maximum towing capacity on public roads is limited to the tare if you have over run brakes anywhere in the world . You need service brakes for anything over tare of the drawing vehicle (ie linked to the brake pedal of the drawing vehicle , not reactive )

The trailer is also rated by its brakes and equally required to be drawn by an adequate vehicle .

The GCM of the 76 and 79 series cruisers in SA allows for a 1500kg trailer . You know this , I know this , post your specific vehicle details and prove me wrong .

And, once more , I have no skin in this game beyond offering real information to consumers - and living in a world where irresponsible assholes endanger the lives of my loved ones . You can do as you wish and kill who you like - as long as you don’t decide to toss your rig into my loved ones .

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Henri, this is for you.

the main documents what counts

as you can see.

the 110 SW is rated at:

Tare - 2055kg
GVM - 2950 kg (load capacity 900kg)
GCM - 7050 kg (assuming a full load on the drawing vehicle, a towed mass of 4100kg)

(subject to the requirement that any towed mass of over 2055kg (the Tare) has a service brake)

the 90 SW has:

Tare: 1660 kg
GVM : 2400 kg (load capacity of 740kg)
GCM - 5900kg (ie assuming a fully loaded drawing vehicle , a trailer of 3500kg

(subject to the requirement that any towed mass of over 1660kg (the Tare) must have a service brake)

easy enough to meet my challenge for you to post your legal towing mass? or not?
Last edited by Apocalypse on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

attachments:

Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 20.12.27.png
Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 20.13.06.png

henris

Post by henris »

Ok Alex. Accepted.

The HDJ78R was never a vehicle sold in ZA. This was imported from Aus. Discs all round. Heavy diffs and gearbox and transfer. 24valve turbo engine.
Attachments
2018-10-30-Reg-Trailer.pdf
(804.87 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
2018-10-30-Reg Troopie.pdf
(940.36 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
GCM Troopie.pdf
(499.34 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:15 am
Ok Alex. Accepted.

The HDJ78R was never a vehicle sold in ZA. This was imported from Aus. Discs all round. Heavy diffs and gearbox and transfer. 24valve turbo engine.
Well, again, well done for upgrading the trailer to at least having some decent brakes. The original arrangement of a single braked axle was terrifying.

The Troopie can indeed draw 3500kg (with service brakes) as you noted - my apologies. You had , in the past complained of the low GCM on the Cruiser.

It can also draw 2655kg with over run brakes (and obviously a 750kg unbraked axle)

with a 840kg trailer Tare, that means you can load another 1800kg on it or behind it - (unless you've had a service brake installed, which I'd be interested to know about as there are no options here for LMV systems, and I'm looking at some ) - which means that hauling a full rigged overlander - eg a Cruiser loaded to it's max of 3260kg) and then adding another trailer is.... illegal and unsafe...

There is a very good reason that most countries use the drawing tare max for overrun trailers - it's to stop the tail wagging the dog in emergency situations. The problem is you can get away with it most of the time, but sooner or later, you will find it over the limits and it all goes wrong.

My big vehicle trailer is very well specced - 2 x 6 ton axles for extreme abuse off road, with monster brakes on an overrun system - but we still don't tow big loads on it onroad (in fact, not even legally loaded to the Jeep's 2000kg Tare, but that's my preference) . We get whatever it is to a more accessible place and put the load onto a proper recovery truck. Sure, we could get away with it on road with big stuff on it, but it's just not worth it.

It simply means you don't have to take detours around weigh bridges and worry about it all going horribly wrong.