Maxxis Tyres

Stripping TB45E

Section for Vehicle Builds, Restorations or Modifications
Trolly Fan

Post by Trolly Fan »

iandvl wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:42 am
Jakes - no - it's not just related to engine management.

Even the TB42 (which is an older motor and probably has even less engine management than a TB45) can be turboed relatively cheaply without the "reliability downgrade" aspect. TB45 con-rods and other internals just cannot deal with the additional torque. To do the job properly, there are a gazillion internals that need to be modified. As I said - it is the most expensive Patrol motor to turbo.

Unless one does it on the cheap. But then I'll probably be able to start another thread like this about a TB45 with a conrod through the block... :)

Also - there is no way I'd put any other ECU on any TB motor than the OEM ECU. Anything other than the original is a reliability downgrade and will also end in tears.

Seriously, though, the TB45 is not a bad motor in stock form. Whilst it does not have the power of a TB48 or TB42, it is not too much of a slouch and is a very reliable overlanding motor. The hatred levelled against that motor is actually unfounded.

I can comfortably cruise at 120km/h on the open road (this is at just over 2000 revs). When touring, however, I'm not in a rush and normally cruise between 100km/h and 110km/h.

I think that the motor (in stock form) would probably work well on a Safari, which is probably quite a bit lighter than a GU wagon, depending on the gearbox and diff ratios.

The only negative thing I can say about the TB45 is it's "oneindige dors". But then I am sure a lot of people say that about my "oneindige dors" in terms of beer... :)
Hi Ian

The are a couple of turbo'd TB45s around. Not many. As long as the pressure is specc'd low enough. I would not do it though.
TB42 is a more popular turbo upgrade mainly because of the stronger conrods.

As long as the car has a manual box, I disagree with you on the ECUs.
I had a TB48 fitted to my Y60 (Skilpad). I had a nightmare of issues with the Nissan management system until Thys installed the Spitronix. I have not had a day's issues since. Its been 5 years now and the cars been all over Southern Africa.
If you want it on an Autobox, it is a different story though.

All the TBs get too much flack in my view for being thirsty.
If you want torque at low RPM there is no compensation for dispensation.
It is also generally more forgiving than Turbo diesels.
2005 TD42 "Masewa"
1996 TB48 "Skilpad"
1993 TB42 "Shortie"
1985 SD33 "Toro"

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Alex,

Skilpad is Y60 and thus never came out with a TB48 - ie: a modification. As is with the case with most modifications, there are always major issues in terms of things - in this case, your management system - and I presume the Spitronix was the only option. I think Tinus also had big issues when converting one of his Y61 wagons to manual 4.8 - specifically with the management systems. I'm not sure what he eventually did to get it sorted. I must ask him when I see him again. I think he may have had Thys sort it out too...

Although I did have a TB48 alongside the TB45 for a while before the ex wrote it off, I didn't have it long enough or drive it frequently enough to really consider myself an expert on that motor. In fact, I don't think I ever even took it offroad... So perhaps TB48 is good for aftermarket engine management. The TB45, most folk recommend leaving standard.

I'm not a fan of fiddling with the TB45 engine management. I've done a of reading about it, and I've just seen too many issues with non-stock ECU's, so I'll just leave mine stock.

On a side note: I must say that as much as I love my 4.5 (especially being manual etc), I miss that 4.8... But that is besides the point - she would probably have kept it as part of the divorce settlement in any case. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Interesting. I wonder why Nissan decided to do that: less rotating mass?

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Jakes - I presume TB42 was older manufacturing processes / similar. With the TB45 motor, newer manufacturing processes and attempts at reducing cost - all manufacturers do this.

Also, I presume design folk did not necessarily contemplate turbos on the motor, so the con-rods were overlooked as, in stock form, it is super reliable.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Send pics of progress of table
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Bugger - I've not started on that yet. Finished stripping down the motor whilst I was on leave, but back at work now. So the table will still be a while...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX