The House Doctor

I have been busy

Section for Vehicle Builds, Restorations or Modifications
AndreasR

I have been busy

Post by AndreasR »

I tackled a few projects that I have been wanting to get done for a while.

First was to get and install a Fredlin hoist to lift my Bundutop and roof rack off the car. Sometimes, usually when I travel solo I just take the RTT. If the wife comes with we often take the trailer with its own RTT so it is not necessary to have the RTT on the car. I have another roof rack that I put on the vehicle when I take the trailer to carry my solar panel(for the car’s dual battery), Jerry cans, mount my shower cubicle and awning and pack wood if necessary.

The installation was fairly straightforward and the system works well.

I am a great fan of drawer systems. I had a Frontrunner 6 cub box system with a sliding cargo top. I felt that a double decker system would be better so I removed the system with the sliding top and installed a 6 cub box system on the base of the vehicle, then refitted the 6 cub box system with the cargo sliding tray on top of that. This leaves enough space on top to pack bigger items like chairs and ladders which can be lashed down. The sliding top also makes it easy to pack. I like the cub boxes as everything has its place and can be reached very easily. Some boxes I leave the lids on others I just leave open to avoid the need to remove each time I need something. An added advantage of having a few boxes with lids is that they can be used as a table to make a quick coffee or lunch.

Lastly I’ve always wanted to mount my water pump and air compressor in the back somewhere convenient. I made a platform to fit onto the anchor points for the third row of seats between the side of the car and the drawer system. The water tank sits on the floor behind the front seats. My rear bench seat has been removed and that is where my dual battery and fridge are permanently mounted.

One can never say that it’s the perfect setup but I think I am getting darn close to it. For my needs anyway.

Unfortunately the pics are not in the correct order.
Attachments
0891BAC6-0A1C-4DF8-89B8-0AAB4F3A7524.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg
IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4156.jpeg
IMG_4135.jpeg
IMG_4134.jpeg
IMG_4133.jpeg
IMG_4145.jpeg
IMG_4147.jpeg
IMG_4144.jpeg

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Nice Carport... :D
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Nice work Andreas, I think you are as close as dammit to the perfect setups (plural) for your many & varied trips...

Flipside

Post by Flipside »

Nicely done Andreas, that looks great
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Looking good Andreas. You know what works best for you and you have customized everything accordingly.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Nice putting the effort in and enjoying your Fruit of the Labor after upgrades
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Great work Andreas! No doubt the next trip there will be another tweak that is unnecessary 🤣

grips

Post by grips »

Lekker Andreas. The nice thing is to make things to work the way you like.
The more you camp the more you change and adapt

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

An SUV with the rear seats removed, in my opinion, makes a better Overlander than a Double Cab. But only if you travel 1 up or 2 up.
If you travel with a kid ir 2 or 3 you are screwed and a D/Cab is better.

For Andreas usage he has the perfect set up.
Vehicle with no RTT for solo trips.
Vehicle with RTT for short trips with Ally.
Vehicle without RTT but towing the Metalian with TTT for longer trips.

He could also take another couple if we took Vehicle with RTT and towed the Trailer with TTT.

So he effectively has a modular system that he can quickly and easily adapt to the type & length of trip.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The only thing Andreas needs is a 2nd fuel tank.
They are sold as long range tanks, but if he fits one to his Patrol 4800 he will still not have long range ~ he'll just have 'range'... :D

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

I have tried to keep my set up designed for ease of use, ease of set up and ease of packing. So the general theme is least hassle to prepare the vehicle for different types of trips while still being functional for overlanding.

Yes fuel consumption is an issue if you drive a petrol Patrol. Options are Jerry cans or long range tanks. For the very few times that you need a long range tank the cost just doesn’t justify it. It is very nice to have a long range tank, don’t get me wrong, but for the occasions that I need to take extra fuel I use Jerry cans. A small sacrifice to pay. I have specifically mounted my Bundutop RTT far forward enough to accommodate a row of Jerry cans at the back of the rack. Not ideal from a weight point of view but you just drive accordingly and unload them as soon as possible which in a Patrol doesn’t take long.

Trip planning is also important in determining the fuel range you will require.

I have also not fitted heavy front and rear aftermarket bumpers to keep weight down. No winch, no bash plates, almost standard size tyres(not muds). All that helps with fuel consumption and weight. And without all those items I have never got stuck or damaged Tupperware. Maybe I’m not trying hard enough!

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

[quote=AndreasR post_id=41744
And without all those items, I have never got stuck or damaged Tupperware. Maybe I’m not trying hard enough!
[/quote]

You are trying hard to not damage your vehicle. You obviously have mechanical sympathy and don't just bash through the trails.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

I don’t do trails but I do have mechanical sympathy. Just which I had the same amount of cosmetic sympathy, but a certain amount of bush rash sometimes cannot be avoided sometimes. Wish I had less.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

AndreasR wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:04 pm
Just which I had the same amount of cosmetic sympathy, but a certain amount of bush rash sometimes cannot be avoided sometimes. Wish I had less.
On you or the vehicles? 😂 🤣
2004 Disco 2 Td5

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Both. But I’m not too concerned about MY re-sale value declining.