Maxxis Tyres

Packing System Build

Section for Vehicle Builds, Restorations or Modifications
iandvl

Packing System Build

Post by iandvl »

I've got a drawer system and a fridge slide in the boot. When I first started on the overlanding type thing, a very large number of trips I did solo and that worked perfectly. However, since Liana, the LF, accompanies me these days. And since wimmin like packing everything including the kitchen sink on trips, space has been getting more of a problem.

The draw system I have has a "built in" fridge slide. The top shelf on the right hand side can slide in and out. I always found this a little impractical though. Although I'm tall, even I'd battle to rummage around inside the fridge if I used that. So I put on an Alucab tilt fridge slide. It means I can get to my beer easily. :)

Sure - there is enough space for the two of us, but what has been sort of annoying me recently is that using the fridge is sometimes a pita when I'm packed. If there is stuff on top of the fridge, I need to unpack it. And then if I slide the fridge out, it is always a mission getting it back in as stuff falls down behind the back of the fridge when I pull it out. This means that despite the tilt slide, I cannot get to my beer easily. :(

A couple of months ago, I welded together a frame for a packing thingy that fits over the fridge and thus solves the problem. I never got around to finishing it, as this was when I broke my foot and tore ligaments - I was welding, my one leg went dead and my "dead" foot caught on the door step when I walked in. Stupid, but these things happen.

Last weekend I finished the frame, gave it a dash of Hammerite and got it mounted and started cutting the shutter ply for the sides. On Wednesday, I finished cutting the shutter ply. Although I'd normally carpet these things, I don't have enough time to finish it properly at the moment. So I just gave the shutter ply a spray of matt black.

Apart from providing unmolested access to the fridge when we are completely packed, it has also provided me with a nice spot to mount my DC-DC and my MPPT charger. The DC-DC charger is new - I think I have eventually seen the light... The MPPT I always had stashed in a drawer and would just haul it out as needed...

I've got to finish wiring up the electrics, after which I can put my aux battery in again and finish it up for now. Well, until I pull it all apart again to carpet the panels...

I know Manny is going to make disparaging remarks about the welding as he has already done on FB. But it is actually properly (if a little scruffily) welded and it will do the trick.
06.jpg
05.jpg
04.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Oh - also. The sawdust is also from the build. I know the truck is filthy - I shall have it washed. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

It always nice to built to fit your own needs. Your thinking is sound, nicely thought out. Your welding is kak. Well done, time is always the enemy (unless you are semi retired like Chas, Andreas, Paul and MikePS).
Hope you have a lekker trip....
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

Nice work. I wish I could weld :lol:

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Good build. Have a nice trip.

Flipside

Post by Flipside »

Well done Ian,
A self built solution is always rewarding to see in action and use.
There is obviously no regard for weight saving in the Patrol.
:D

Enjoy the easily accessed beers.
Remember to ensure allow good airflow to the fridge compressor to keep them beers well chilled.
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

PsyPhin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:48 am
There is always the option of getting someone like myself to make your custom system. I've done just that for some of our members and a couple of other offroaders too. This is the type of project I do from my workshop in Edenvale.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Messy welding is easy to fix. A sarcastic and nasty attitude, not so much. @Mad Manny......

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Kweshiun:
Is there enough space around the fridge for adequate air circulation?

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

Paul#25 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:10 pm
PsyPhin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:48 am
There is always the option of getting someone like myself to make your custom system. I've done just that for some of our members and a couple of other offroaders too. This is the type of project I do from my workshop in Edenvale.
We shall indeed chat.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

jakeslouw wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:10 pm
Messy welding is easy to fix. A sarcastic and nasty attitude, not so much. @Mad Manny......
But then you are a Grinder, not a welder! :D
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Mad Manny wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:51 pm
But then you are a Grinder, not a welder! :D
Like they say, a good grinder makes everybody a good welder. A good weld doesn't have to look good, it just needs to do the job.

A crappy welding machine means even an expert can bodge a weld. A good MIG welding machine makes even chops from the West Rand look like experts.

I suspect this is what makes you a welder. :D

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

HenriSteyn wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:26 pm
Kweshiun:
Is there enough space around the fridge for adequate air circulation?
Yes. I have subsequently drilled holes in the small area where the vents are inside the frame.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Steady gents. I don't mind Manny's disparaging remarks about my welding. It is messy. It will hold. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

grips

Post by grips »

Nice and practical. Thing about your own built it ends up to serve your own likes. Also easy to add and modify.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D