Mikem Supsension

Camper Trailer Modifications

Section for Vehicle Builds, Restorations or Modifications
Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Agree with Manny
Get the 12v installation done for the awesome offgrid camping.
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I had a nice camp this weekend at Klipspringer Kloof Bush Lodge. I'll write up a report elsewhere on that - fantastic spot. I highly recommend it...

Back to this thread: I'm very paranoid about the coupler on the towbar, so I normally triple-check this when hitching the trailer. On the way out of Dinokeng, I heard a couple of strange noises when travelling over the speed bumps. I originally thought this was perhaps a flat tyre on the trailer, but a zig-zag left and right across the road when there was no oncoming traffic whilst checking the trailer tyres in the side mirrors showed that this was not the case.

At the next speed bump - taken slowly - the trailer unhitched itself. Stupid mistake - instead of slowing down gradually, I pressed the brakes when I saw the thing go ballistic in my rear view mirror. This resulted in quite a bump on the steel back bar. There is a bit of a scrap on the right barn door at the back of the truck, but thankfully the rear bar absorbed most of the impact. Apart from the scratch on the door, no other damage.

Being in a big-game area, I got the LF out of the car to distract wandering predators whilst I re-hitched the trailer. We got home without further incidents.

Upon getting home, I noticed that the spring-loaded locker of the trailer coupling is not sharp. ie: It works sometimes. Othertimes, it sticks. I presume the 7.5-odd kms of variable dirt road between the lodge and the tar road as well as the gazillion speed bumps on the tar road through Dinokeng resulted in the thing edging itself loose.

The spring lock thingy or the coupler will be replaced or repaired as priority when I get the time. Presumably this weekend, as I do not have anything lined up.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80