The House Doctor

to MAP or not to MAP Cruiser 200

Section for Vehicle Builds, Restorations or Modifications
jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Ricof4e wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:44 pm
with regards to an EGR, one must approach it as a serviceable item much the same as replacing a timing belt every 100k km. Then there will be no check engine light or limp home mode.
Don't agree at all, but let's leave it there. You obviously cannot be convinced based on plenty of previous to-and-fros on the subject on this and the other forum.
My opinion: an EGR valve was only installed for emissions regulation. An EGR without DPF is like a nipple on a male. And I have yet to see ANY service schedule that mentions "remove and clean EGR components".
A high pressure EGR is an unreliable, ugly piece if kit. Most engines use this type of EGR.

FWM

Post by FWM »

Willeman to get back to your post regarding piston crowns and lower engine temps because of EGR…. I thinks its flawed because…
EGR only recycle the dirty air on low RPM when max power is not needed.
When you use full throttle the EGR is closed and clean air enters the intake resulting in max power and higher temps.
Or am I smoking the wrong stuff in my vape?

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

FWM wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:11 pm
Willeman to get back to your post regarding piston crowns and lower engine temps because of EGR…. I thinks its flawed because…
When you use full throttle the EGR is closed and clean air enters the intake resulting in max power and higher temps.
Laas wat ek gekyk het is beide ek en jy nie metallurge nie. Ek weet wel dat enjin vervaardigers verskeie metallurge op hul payroll het.

Ek het erens bo verwys na tuners wat net sommer aanneem dat "die enjin dit kan vat".

Tot tyd en wyl 'n metallurg my anders vertel, hou ek maar by wat die enjinvervaardigers my vertel.

Julle gaan my nie anders oorreed nie.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

The problem, and especially here in RSA, is that the consumers see the punters as "experts", and believe every word the say.

They do not realize that the punters, just want to sell you something.... (Snake Oil comes to mind)
Take for example the comments about chips and maps... They believe there is an actual difference :)
Mapping your standard chip, is just not changing your chip for a mappable chip... :)

Also, unfortunately the immediate positives, are quicker to see and "feel" than the long-term negatives.

Each to his own, and all an all
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Redman

Post by Redman »

I'm just impressed that you managed to get info from the thread that was shared on post #11... I'm still trying to regain my senses after trying to makes sense of it all...

Personally I think that sanity prevailed...

Alternatively: http://gobabistoyota.nautocar.com/

grips

Post by grips »

FWM wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:11 pm

Sorry I am quite busy lately and do not have much time to spend on forums lately. Regarding mapping I really cannot see that a person not involved in the design and build of an engine can better or rewrite a map better than the manufacturer.
They spend millions on engine development testing in the most extreme conditions and running many dyno hours.

Back to mapping. I have spend many hours studying real time data via Tech Stream on the V8 Cruiser. My conclusion is that the so called mappers can only change two parameters to achieve better performance. To give more diesel they up rail and turbo pressure. What I have also found is that once you increase turbo pressure on a turbo diesel the engine management will automatically adjust rail pressure to keep Air Fuel Ratio to within manufacturer's spec. If you thus alter rail pressure for performance your AFR will be out of spec leading to high EGT.

FWM I quote your post for a specific reason. EGR is all so used to dump turbo pressure depending the design of turbo control. In the case of the v8 Cruiser it dumps turbo pressure via its EGR as it have a vacuum controlled VNT turbo. Even with the EGR function switched of in the map it will open to dump pressure. The very reason why EGR blanking plates have a 10mm hole in them on vacuum controlled VNT turbos.

What bothers me the most about our tuners is that I have yet to find one monitoring Air Fuel Ratios. These are crucial to keep EGT in limits.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

FWM

Post by FWM »

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sh ... ree-Tuning
Its a pity some of you are not on that other forum anymore. it would make this thread way more interesting

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

I've emailed the company in question several times: no response.

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Wessel. Use it. Don't use.

I will go and ask Toyota, when the Cruiser is due for it's next service, where they got the extra 15% power from when they upgraded from GX to GX-L and VX to VX-L.

Maybe they can "tune" your Cruiser to give it that extra 15%. It will be done by Toyota and it will carry the warranty.

If the can do it, then I will "tune"my Cruiser as well

Just an idea
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

grips

Post by grips »

Toyota do have updated maps for the V8 Cruisers

You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

With regard to the link to the other forum that FWM posted above.
I have been exposed to remapping of performance race engines for most of my adult life, first 2 stroke bike engines and then car 4 stroke petrol engines. I have never had a diesel motor that I have chased high performance from.
Soon after that thread was started I asked a few question regarding some of their claims about tuning of a BMW motorbike. I know that with almost all of the modern bikes there is very little to nothing that can be fiddled with in the ECU to up the performance. The ECU's are locked by the manufactures to prevent you changing things that will take it out of the allowed emission control parameters. My brother runs a motorbike workshop where they almost exclusively build and maintain race bikes. With most of the modern bikes you buy a complete race ECU and harness that gets fitted to the bike to allow you to tune the motor. You then need to have software from one of the approved motorsport partners for that manufacturer to remap the ECU. This is done online with registration codes for each ECU that costs even more. I know the hours that get spent on the dyno to get a good baseline map that is then loaded and you spend more time fine tuning the map for that specific motor. I asked the performance guru on that thread how he goes about getting the figures he claims and basically got a response that was his normal sales pitch. He didn't answer how he adjusts fuelling or ignition timing on a stock ECU to get the claimed performance figures. Adjustments must be made at set increments throughout the rev range to achieve a good safe map but I suspect they do a blanket change to the timing and fuelling. This type of adjustment will not be good for any motor. I wouldn't trust anyone like these guys to fiddle with any of my vehicles.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

grips wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:34 am
Toyota do have updated maps for the V8 Cruisers
Now that I didn't know and would definitely ask to have mine done.
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

WJVV

Post by WJVV »

I have a 76 V8 D4D and asked my local Toyota dealership for some time on an updated map for my cruiser to improve fuel economy . The standard answer was they can not change the mapping. However they seem to have "software updates". Those updates made no difference.

I eventually just got gatvol and took my V8 cruiser to Jannes Wolmerans in Potchefstroom (JNESTUNED) for a Dyno.The brief to Jannes was to optimise for economy and not compromise reliability .

He plugged sensors looked like between the intercooler and turbo and stuck probes up the exhaust etc.

Took him almost 3 hours on the Dyno optimising and ensuring especially EGT's are in safe limits and air fuel mixtures are in Toyota spec.

After a long day results ended up on 198kw and 795 Nm. This has been almost 6 years ago and I do believe i have had some savings in diesel as consumption decreased to almost 8km/l.
Towing my offroad caravan open road became a pleasure.

With the additional oomph it takes less effort overtaking especially when towing , and the vehicle is not needed to be driven like it is stolen.

Overall I do believe that there is a place for a remap if done correctly and for the right functional reasons.

Again. For me the functional purpose was to improve on fuel economy , the additional power was a bonus.

Downside of this exercise was I then needed to do a clutch upgrade as the standard Toyota clutch was not designed for the additional power.
Thus the cost for upgrading the clutch became an amortised cost on fuel savings. Think I only broke even after year 3.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

As I said, fiddle, fiddle f$%ked. :)

PS: how old is your V8 ?
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Asked:
iandvl wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:05 pm
As I said, fiddle, fiddle f$%ked. :)

PS: how old is your V8 ?
Answered:
WJVV wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:58 pm
I have a 76 V8 D4D and asked my local Toyota dealership

This has been almost 6 years ago and I do...

Downside of this exercise was:
I needed a clutch upgrade...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'