The House Doctor

to MAP or not to MAP Cruiser 200

Section for Vehicle Builds, Restorations or Modifications
grips

Post by grips »

WJVV wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:58 pm
I have a 76 V8 D4D and asked my local Toyota dealership for some time on an updated map for my cruiser to improve fuel economy . The standard answer was they can not change the mapping. However they seem to have "software updates". Those updates made no difference
After I fitted the De Graaf exhaust system and modified the airbox and intake manifold the V8 76 sometimes ran into an overboost fault code.
I took it to the dealer and they downloaded a new map. Everything was fine after that.

Checking boost pressure afterwards I noticed it was set at the max the turbo can boost. Dyno test showed around 170kW and 500Nm. In person I take wheel dyno results with a pinch of salt. Found that if you work with real time boost pressure you can do more accurate calculations than a dyno can give. Given you have the before and after boost pressure.

I doubt that you can do more than 175kW and 550Nm with s stock turbo on a 70 series single turbo V8. To produce more power you will need something like an Aussie aftermarket G-turbo. The stock turbo max boost is 1.2bar. You will need around 1.7bar to do 180kW and 700Nm. The only other way to increase power with a stock turbo is to up rail pressure for more diesel. We all know that in the end this type of tune will chase EGT.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

WJVV

Post by WJVV »

iandvl wrote:As I said, fiddle, fiddle f$%ked. :)

PS: how old is your V8 ?
Yep. Fiddle fiddle . Touch wood :).

Cruiser is 9 years old and maintained well. Been to the most awesome of places without skipping a heartbeat .

Sitting on 125 000 km and of that done over 100 000km with the map

Last edited by WJVV on Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

WJVV

Post by WJVV »

grips wrote:
WJVV wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:58 pm
I have a 76 V8 D4D and asked my local Toyota dealership for some time on an updated map for my cruiser to improve fuel economy . The standard answer was they can not change the mapping. However they seem to have "software updates". Those updates made no difference
After I fitted the De Graaf exhaust system and modified the airbox and intake manifold the V8 76 sometimes ran into an overboost fault code.
I took it to the dealer and they downloaded a new map. Everything was fine after that.

Checking boost pressure afterwards I noticed it was set at the max the turbo can boost. Dyno test showed around 170kW and 500Nm. In person I take wheel dyno results with a pinch of salt. Found that if you work with real time boost pressure you can do more accurate calculations than a dyno can give. Given you have the before and after boost pressure.

I doubt that you can do more than 175kW and 550Nm with s stock turbo on a 70 series single turbo V8. To produce more power you will need something like an Aussie aftermarket G-turbo. The stock turbo max boost is 1.2bar. You will need around 1.7bar to do 180kW and 700Nm. The only other way to increase power with a stock turbo is to up rail pressure for more diesel. We all know that in the end this type of tune will chase EGT.
Grips. You are 100% correct.
Don't think there are many guys out there who can get the airflow/mixtures correct hence the death of many diesels = High EGT's.

This was exactly the concern. Especially when towing, so then another mod needed to be done as Toyota don't have EGT sensors is to add sensors...

What mod did you do to the airbox ?