Mikem Supsension

Suzuki Jimny power improvements

SJ, Jimny, Vitara & Grand Vitara
Flipside

Suzuki Jimny power improvements

Post by Flipside »

As you all know, everyone with a stock 1300 Jimny is browsing, researching and discussing how to improve the engine output to assist in turning those bigger wheels and higher lift.
Not to mention the extra weight of a bumper, possibly a winch and a packing system or roof rack.
Please contribute.
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

There are 3 options:

Turbo (Jiminy Cricket claims his turbo is the bomb).
M16 motor like SAXJ had.
M18 motor like Bertie Riechert has.

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Flip, the first determining factor should be what you can get (power gain) within the planned budget, and then... is it worth it?

And please remember that any tuning for more power, will change the torque characteristics of the motor.
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Mad Manny wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 pm
There are 3 options:

Turbo (Jiminy Cricket claims his turbo is the bomb).
M16 motor like SAXJ had.
M18 motor like Bertie Riechert has.
And 3 requirements:
1) more air
2) more fuel
3) more flow
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

Affect of tyre size on performance and fuel consumption
=================================================
Bigger tyres definitely look better, and it is fact that the bigger your tyres the better your vehicle performs off-road. However going bigger than the stock tyre size has a marked impact on performance and fuel consumption. No matter what you try, you will not manage to improve your fuel consumption after fitting bigger tyres.

Exhaust system
=============
Minor gains are to be had by doing a decat, or fitting a full freeflow exhaust system. The gains are generally not quite enough to compensate for bigger tyres. One down side to the free flow exhaust is a large increase in under bonnet temperatures, to the extent that it affects the air temperature inside the car when doing extended slow speed driving, like when in a game reserve. Also if a heat shield is not fitted, the temperature can be enough to melt pipes and reservoirs. Also note that you are quite likely to get a check engine light showing after making changes to the exhaust system. This can usually be resolved with a cat fooler.

Chipping
=======
Installing a chip is only worthwhile if you have made major changes, e.g. different size motor. The stock ECU compensates for minor changes, so changes like installing a free flow exhaust will be handled by the stock ECU, fitting a chip will only see very minor gains. Note that there are some unscrupulous tuners out there, that will show you huges improvements after doing relatively minor changes.

Bigger engines
============
There are 3 Suzuki engines available that can be fitted to the Jimny without major changes to other components. The blocks are all the same externally, so it is easy to swap components, and no changes are required to the rest of the drivetrain.

M15A (Swift and previous gen Ignis)- Doesn't give the gains of the bigger engines, but the easiest and cheapest upgrade of the 3, and readily available. It gives a useful improvement in power.
M16A (Swift Sport and Vitara) - The most popular of the conversions. Note that there were major changes made in 2012. It may be tempting to want to get a post 2012 because of the higher performance numbers, but they come with complications because of the drive by wire system.
M18A (Prev gen Baleno) The best of the bunch in terms of performance, however they are scarce and parts availability is an issue.

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Has anyone done a V6 vitara conversion? The old swb vitaras were not much bigger than a Jimny. :twisted:
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

HeinrichC

Post by HeinrichC »

If you bought a Jimny for serious long distance over landing or to power over trail obstacles then you bought the wrong 4X4.

I did a decat, freeflow and branch on my Jimny and fitted the arrow from Parow K&N air filter as well.

Although I was very skeptical at first but with my 215/75R15 BF KO2 AT tyres you do get an improvement in power.

Placebo? Nope, as I did before and after road tests on some hills between PE and Jeffreys (Endless hill was one of them) I hardly ever use 3rd any longer; only 4th and 5th.

Also - The trick with the Jimny is weight and aerodynamics. Steer clear of a roof rack and bulky steel front bumper. Both are power draining.

grips

Post by grips »

The only Suzuki I have ever seen performing in sand is the Samurai owned by Willie Mostert. He had an 1.8 Audi turbo engine fitted.
Even the 1800 Bertie owns cannot make it up the taller dunes at Waterford.
Then I have the privilege of doing a River Trip with Flipside. That Jimny were just awesome on that trip.

Coming from a back ground with very powerful v8 4x4`s and with a change in my 4x4 ways. I am currently more into overlanding. So I am not that concerned by power anymore.
SuperHansie a very good friend of mine went through the modification drive. Hy did the turbo thing on his 3.5 Triton had endless trouble with the turbo conversion. Then had it stoked to 3.8. Guys that did the stroker build had the compression way too high. Worked nice on the Highveld but kept going into limp mode at lower altitude.
We were having a chat a few years ago. Hansie said something that made me think. He said it is not worth spending all the money to conquer that few more dunes with a modified 4x4 over a stock one.

In the end I do agree with Manny and I think the 1.8 Conversion Bertie did will see one with enough power for most applications.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

.,. what, if any, possibility of changing the gears/ratios to address some of the off-road needs and requirements ?
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

HeinrichC

Post by HeinrichC »

BushWacker wrote:.,. what, if any, possibility of changing the gears/ratios to address some of the off-road needs and requirements ?

You will increase power but decrease speed.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Tell me. How does a gear ratio change on a gearbox or diff, increase engine power output?
Flex is overrated

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

KurtG wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:24 pm
Tell me. How does a gear ratio change on a gearbox or diff, increase engine power output?
... it doesnt , but changes application of,
as does fitting bigger wheels by the way ...
n’es pas ?
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Heinrich stated above that it increases power, which is technically incorrect.
Flex is overrated

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

KurtG wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:24 pm
The same way that bigger wheels takes away power...
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

KurtG wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:42 pm
Heinrich stated above that it increases power, which is technically incorrect.
It will increase power to the wheels.. the engine power stays the same
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes