Maxxis Tyres

Metalian Genie

Offroad Trailers and Caravans, Equipment, Tips & Tricks
KurtG

Metalian Genie

Post by KurtG »

Have a look at this little gem, particularly interesting for Jimny owners and the like.

https://youtu.be/P0kqC2Ze96w
Flex is overrated

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

From the thread on the Other Forum there is lots of interest in this trailer. Going to fill a niche in the market for sure.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

No doubt that it will be another very well built Metallian product but it will cost a small fortune to make it into a viable camping trailer.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

I don’t think this one was ever intended to be a full-Blown camping trailer (judging by the early conceptual designs spoken about on the other forum) but rather a lightweight option to tow some gear / a kitchen behind your vehicle.

Having said that he seems to have catered for a water tank, two batteries, two drawers and a roof rack to accommodate a TTT, so what do I know?
Flex is overrated

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

I think its a great addition to the Metallian range and the price will be about 60% of the Met/Mini.
Its a high quality entry-level camping trailer delivered to meet the ‘other’ forum members’ requests and it does this admirably.
It cant meet all expectations ... eg Craig says its not suitable for transporting the contents of his daughters flat ...
I think its a goodie ... even Craigs etc should bid for the early discounted deal ...
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Heinz's products are superb and well though out as well as tough.

He's been building monocoque trailers from the beginning - which means they are light before being packed, and very spacious.

They also actually have doors with working seals (not the usual pathetic attempt) and the stainless and powder coated body is really corrosion resistant.

Excellent looking product, I must go and look at one!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Wave

Post by Wave »

It looks pretty decent, I just worry about weights, as when you start speccing it up, 2 batteries, power pack, fridge, 80/90 liter water tank, RTT, Jerry cans + brackets, gas bottles + brackets, possible nose cone you'll quickly be at the 750kgs GVM
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

A change Im making is to always keep my Freezer, and therefore aux-battery, in the car, running off the dual battery system.
Logic is that it is generally the biggest running load on the aux battery ... and charging via alternator ( and if necessary solar panel) is more regular esp with daily trips in the car.
Will just put a coolbox on my trailers fridge slide
to have ‘cold storage ‘ closer at hand than my car which is v. seldom more than 5-10m from my trailer.
Another aspect is I dont always use my trailer so theres less switching of units back and forth on packing. Ill also keep a battery in the trailer for sundry power.
...but admittedly, I’ve got a 130 ,not a Samurai...
Last edited by BushWacker on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Wave wrote:It looks pretty decent, I just worry about weights, as when you start speccing it up, 2 batteries, power pack, fridge, 80/90 liter water tank, RTT, Jerry cans + brackets, gas bottles + brackets, possible nose cone you'll quickly be at the 750kgs GVM
Let me repeat: this is not a product that was designed to be a fully blown camping trailer, there are other products in the Metalian range for that.

It’s like saying a Porsche 911 Turbo is unsuitable to carry a ton of bricks.... yes of course it isn’t, it wasn’t designed to do that from the outset Image
Flex is overrated

Wave

Post by Wave »

I agree Kurt, but the video there is mention of most/all these bits... so in his own admission, it's going to end up being a camping trailer
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'10 Conqueror Comfort

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Wave wrote:I agree Kurt, but the video there is mention of most/all these bits... so in his own admission, it's going to end up being a camping trailer
Yes. Only up to the Legal GVM of 750kg
Flex is overrated

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Popped in at Heinz today and had a look at this little guy.

First of all, it's the pre production model and there will be a few changes here and there before production.

As expected - it'a not as sexy as the top end trailers, but it's still very well built and cleverly designed and not as basic as you'd imagine.

He's expecting to market it at 29k for the basic model, you can add other stuff to it.

If you are a reasonably handy guy to kit it out with a roof tent (roof is designed to carry it), an awning, a couple of jerry cans and a little gas stove onto the fold down kitchen door , the rest is pretty much done for you in a very cheap package.

It weighs nothing empty. the nose weight is 10kg or less where it was standing. With a GVM restricted to 750kg for the snowflake generation without a licence to tow anything bigger, and for the lightweights like a Jimny, thats the best place to start.

the depth of the trailer - owing to the monocoque construction means you can put an awful lot of the heavy stuff down low for a far more sensible centre of gravity than the average.

plenty of space for fridges , batteries. water tanks, tables , solar panels etc etc.

I think it's going to fill a little gap for a lot of people.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

All 10 prototypes sold in a flash.

Wave

Post by Wave »

Wow, so a quick R290k right there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tappetalk

Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'10 Conqueror Comfort

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Not really surprising at the price and the quality !