Post by RynoB »

Mad Manny wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 pm
Have you paid for the AGM @ Berakah?
Yes I did last week
VW Amarok V6

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

So Ryno has been camping in his Nyela Okapi for the past week.
He has poor signal.

I hope he gives us a 'Trip Report/Impressions' feedback when he gets back...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

The BushLapa guys are issued with an impressive white SableHair brush that they use to suavely dust outside the doors and portals before opening ...

Always looks impressive...

I have this unused very upmarket duster that would suit an even higher level caravaner ...
... and Im open to negotiation.
Attachments
D3B6207D-94D8-4612-99D3-C743B746E423.jpeg
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

BushWacker wrote:The BushLapa guys are issued with an impressive white SableHair brush that they use to suavely dust outside the doors and portals before opening ...

Always looks impressive...

I have this unused very upmarket duster that would suit an even higher level caravaner ...
... and Im open to negotiation.
This is not a Bush Lapa thread..Image

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

Mad Manny wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:54 pm

I hope he gives us a 'Trip Report/Impressions' feedback when he gets back...
Good day everyone and may you all have a blessed prosperous year.
As Manny said we collected Nkandla II on December 6.
That whole week it was pouring but Dianne decided she wants to go on a quick camping weekend before we use the van for 10 day’s over Christmas / New Year.
Therefore, we left for Eastco Magalies on Saturday in pouring rain, setup in pouring rain and even braaied under an umbrella in pouring rain.
Towing the Okapi is pure pleasure and you tend to forget it behind the Rok. Visibility is much better than with the Jurgens as I can see both sides behind the van with the normal rear mirrors.
To test stability I took her up to 170km/h for a short while, the van is as stable as can be.
Setup with only the awning took exactly 9 minutes. This means, Roof extended, Rally canopy out, Kitchen setup completely, tables and chairs ready, bedroom setup and caravan leveled, minute 12 I was already standing with a double Glen Fiddich on ice in my hand.
From there we took the whole weekend exploring the van and discuss what to pack where and what we still need.
The shower is big and a pleasure to use. The toilet is a little high for my likening but I got use to that. Water pressure is strong and hot water is immediately available.
Something that amazed me was that we both could move around in the van without being in each other’s way.
We only used 50% of the water in the tank over the weekend. (Dianne showered twice a day).
On Sunday, it took a little longer to pack because you never get anything back into its original packing. I think it was about 15 minutes before the van was hitched and ready to go.
To be continued……….

Next the real test on gravel roads and really using the van for 10 day's and all the pro's and cons.
VW Amarok V6

grips

Post by grips »

Lekker Ryno :D
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

Okay as promised herewith my impressions of the Nayela Okapi.
I will start with the Inside
Packing space is really more than what we initially thought. Dianne packed the kitchen for 12 people for 10 days and 50% of that went back home.
Enough space for clothes hanging and one small cupboard was actually empty
Dianne loves the woman’s vanity space, me thinks she packed for 4 woman but there is ample space.
As previously mentioned the Toilet (Dometic CTS 4110 – Cassette flush Toilet) is too high for my licking but I quickly got used to it. I only needed to empty it once and it is a very clean quick process
The shower is big and very user friendly, hot water immediately on tap
Dianne likes the little bench in the shower
Bed is sleeping like a dream
Ample packing space under the bed, what is nice about this this weight is actually on the centre of the two axles.
Power sockets 12V/ 220V to be found all over the show with two USB charger sockets next to each side of the bed
Fridge Freezer 12V (optional) will be big enough for us on a lengthy tour – Charges from vehicle when driving
You can get your cold one from the fridge from outside the van
All equipment inside the van is DOMETIC products, such as the Toilet, water pump, geyser, fridge freezer
42” TV fits nicely
The door is bigger than the normal caravan door and makes live much easier
I have installed a 16000 BTU aircon
All in all the van is very spacious and comfortable.
Next, I will give feedback on the kitchen………………
VW Amarok V6

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

Kitchen
The kitchen is on the left outside of the van.
Comprises of a Microwave oven lots of packing space, stove, and sink.
Remember this is a 2-berth caravan so the stainless steel sink is n bit small but more than enough for two adults. Warm and cold water on tap and grey water runs to the back of the van where all the drainpipes come together.
Two-plate stainless steel gas stove is more than enough for our needs. The sink forms part of the stove all build into one door.
There is a small workspace next to the stove/sink combination; this is also the door for the bottom cupboard. I little near to the stove for my liking but during our 10-day stay, it never bothered me so it should not be an issue.
Microwave is installed in the bottom cupboard, I want to move it a little to the left and install 3 drawers for Dianne to use for her cutlery.
The top cupboard lid opens to the top and there is ample space for everything needed in a small kitchen.
There is a LED light installed with 3 brightness and 3 colour settings, above all and the door is a LED light the length of the caravan.
All the above is accessible from the inside of the van. Therefore, if you need a glass of water at night you do not have to open the door and go outside.
There are 12V and 220V points all over on the left side of the van
Overall very comfortable and more than we need.
VW Amarok V6

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

Towing

Well I towed the van From Reitz to Fochville (217 Km) in heavy rain. It did not feel as if I had a van behind me.
Very stable, follows in the Roks footsteps. My thought was that the double axel is going to be different from a single axle and more difficult to tow but really, she just follows.
From there we towed to Eastco Magalies, (83 Km one-way) we used all the back narrow roads and yet again no caravan behind me. This we did in heavy rain. At Eastco is about a 3km dirt road and it was very muddy but we went through with ease.
Then we towed to Modimole where we stayed literally in the bush. (297 Km one-way).
Towing was like driving solo. My average speed was 120 km/h. Near Modimole we went onto a (do not know the English word) bad twee spoor paadjie through the bush for quite a distance (will say about 18 Km and still no issues.
When we arrived at the camp everything inside the van was 100% in place so was the kitchengoodies and cutlery.
This weekend we will do about 103 km on a very bad gravel road to Brits with the van, I will give you feedback on this trip.
VW Amarok V6

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

Now I will first give you the negatives and irritations before I will go over to our over all impression

1. There is no drain cap or valve on the water tank – stupid as all off road caravans have one fitted. I have already made a plan to install a valve myself.
2. The rally tent is really fast and easy to setup but the big tent is an heavy all in one piece tent that takes a long time to pitch. My impression is that you can spend the R 26K much better at Tentco or any other reputable tent maker. Though the tent itself is overall 6 meters deep (Closed tent 3 m and awning in front 3 m) Bennie from Nayela promised to split the awning from the tent with a zip type connection and do the same with the side skirts.
3. The rear lights is a permanent fixture and you cannot get to the wires. Or so I think I must still find out.
4. Not enough ventilation for the 12 V upright fridge freezer I had to make a plan myself by installing a vent in the cupboard at the bottom of the fridge.
5. To turn the Van by hand is something I did not master yet though I tried to lift the front wheels with the jockey wheel as high as possible.
VW Amarok V6

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Nice write ups Ryno.

I still don't believe it carries enough water though...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

You can fit an additional 100 L but will have to remove the spare wheel.
It's only the two of us and the current tank last us 3 day's, don't think we need more.
VW Amarok V6

RynoB

Post by RynoB »

My final impressions.
• Well designed, solidly built.
• Design allows for wonderful airflow through
• Good looking, practical
• Ease of use of the awning
• Our average setup time was around 10 minutes
• Really quick and easy, trouble free and best off all everything that really matters works every time.
• Very practical and easily accessible kitchen and wash-up basin with geyser. Fact of having hot water readily available is a huge plus.
• Take on any grondpad is a huge plus
• Double axel with Koni shocks, tows like a dream
• For Hedgehog there is a microwave build in outside in the kitchen
• More head space than needed
• Space, space lots of space.
• Flush toilet
• Shower is 810mm x 789 mm with a little bench
• Automated roof
• Desk for Laptop in front is what I really needed if we travel and I need to work
• Enough lights all over and 220V and 12 plugs everywhere you need them
• USB chargers on both bedsides
• Cabinet with mirror and lots of space for mom to refurbish
• Gas and 220V geyser
• The best is everting is so easy to operate and use.
And lots more

What do I still need, if anyone can help? I need a 150-Watt solar panel to make this van completely off road ready
VW Amarok V6