4x4 Action Group

Upgrading Conqueror rims & tyres

Offroad Trailers and Caravans, Equipment, Tips & Tricks
Wave

Upgrading Conqueror rims & tyres

Post by Wave »

Ok, I have heard many people say that a good combo is to PCD, diameter and tyre match your trailers wheels to the tow vehicle, this then gives you 2 spare wheels, and in a worse case scenario, you can ditch the trailer and use one if its wheels as spare for the tow vehicle.

As you can see in my signature I have a 2009 Toyota Fortuner. Its running on FJ cruiser 17" mags with standard sized tyres 265/65/17 Bridgestone A/T tyres. So the plan is to upgrade the tow vehicle to muds for camping/4x4ing/trail/over landing etc, and most muds are 265/70/17 thus increasing the diameter of the cars wheels.

The Conqueror Comfort, like most of the Conquerors, have a 265/75/16 standard wheel combo.

If I upgrade to 17" 265/65/17 tyres on the trailer then the overall diameter is only about 2mm larger, whereas upgrading to a 265/70/17 makes the overall diameter 30mm more, thus improving the trailers ground clearance (not that its ever been an issue) but also raising the tent, which could possibly be a problem, I still need to test fit a 265/70/17 wheel combo and see how the tent fairs.

At this stage it seems a better option is to try keep the car on the standard profile tyres and match the trailer to that.

Thoughts?
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

Remember the 30 mm increase in diameter will only lift the vehicle by 15 mm - hardly noticible, I think
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

The tent has a side room which hangs off the side of the trailer, therefore the higher the trailer, the higher the bottom of the tent will “hang”.
Flex is overrated

Wave

Post by Wave »

OK, I got the tyres sizes wrong, after the weighbridge day today I properly inspected my tyres, the Conqueror has 265/70/16 tyres, so to match to the current size of the tow car increases the diameter from 749.4mm to 776.3mm increasing the diameter by 27mm, which could be OK if the tent has an extra 14mm give when setting up. I will have to test fit to make sure.

After proper maths there is no way I can fit 265/70/17 M/T tyres as the tent will definitely "float" and also tyre - wheel arch clearance will be too close for comfort.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort