Mikem Supsension

Fortuner Roof Rack | OEM Rail vs. Rack Rail

Offroad Trailers and Caravans, Equipment, Tips & Tricks
Redman

Fortuner Roof Rack | OEM Rail vs. Rack Rail

Post by Redman »

I'm in the process of deciding which roof rack to install.

Two options I'm currently considering:
1. Front Runner
2. Rhino Rack

The front runner comes with a rail that replaces the OEM rail on the Fortuner. This looks solid, but installation is going to be a bitch. The entire roof liner must come down, so will be quite the exercise.
krtf010tbp_2.jpg
The Rhino Rack uses Vortex SX legs, that just clamps onto the Toyota roof rail
Toyota-Fortuner-52102-SX046-03.jpg
From an installation point this will be a lot easier and quicker. I've tried to do some research online, and the only times I've seen issues with this type is when the roof rack is clearly overloaded. Something which I don't intend to do at all.

Some inputs/advice/experience will be appreciated. Is the OEM rails sufficient? Or is it worth the effort to go for the Front Runner installation with replacement rails?

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

If you were still in SA, I would tell you theft should be a consideration - easy and quick to remove those clamps.

Other than that, I see no issues with the Rhino rack.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Redman

Post by Redman »

Some feedback....

Arrived back home two weeks ago to find this waiting in the garage... Early birthday present from Swambo.
IMG_5522.JPEG
Found the following video on YouTube very helpful so decided to give it a go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMF_cEoIccA

Basically the entire roof lining of the Fortuner had to come down. Took me about 2 hours to get the lining loose and down (some breaks inbetween)
IMG_5525.JPEG
The installation instructions from FrontRunner is okay to say the least. Some swearing required which is not mentioned on the instructions. The actual fitting of the mounts, assembly of the rack and then fitting to the mounts probably took another 2 hours. Getting the roof lining back in place is a lot easier and quicker than taking it out.

Not the most complicated of jobs, but definitely not one to take too lightly. A set of these trim removing tools makes it a lot easier. Managed to get all the panels removed without breaking a single clip
IMG_5523.JPEG
Not too bad for a Saturday morning (and early afternoon 8-) )
IMG_5527.JPEG
Had to put it to the test this weekend. 17kg Gazebo and all
ABCD806C-48D8-4091-BEF1-78B83EE117A3.jpg

Redman

Post by Redman »

Just an important note... While searching YouTube for video's on how to remove the roof lining in the Fortuner I came accross the following video from Ronny Dahl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32xd9z4SZ4

Had a look at the Rhino Rack website (you have to search for this info as it is not published on the landing page of the product. The Rhino Rack has a lower load rating for off road use
Screenshot 2022-11-28 114933.png
Again, should be fine for what I intend to use it for mostly. (Gazebo +-17kg, paddle boards +-11kg each, tent +-32kg) I would be pretty much pushing the off road limit. The Front Runner has the same rating for both on and off road which should allow me just over 50kg worth of capacity.

Redman

Post by Redman »

So basically had the roof-rack on now for about year and a half...

Fuel consumption changed by about 0.65km/l since the roof rack was fitted. Not that bad IMHO