Offroad Trailers and Caravans, Equipment, Tips & Tricks
Mad Manny

Trailsnap Magnetic Trailer Plug

Post by Mad Manny »

Go to their webpage.
https://trailsnap.co.za/

View the video,

Share your thoughts.

I have the traditional plug & my LHS indicator wouldn't work unless I wiggled it, but after afew km it stopped working.
This may be the solution...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Its not bad. But there is nothing stopping the plug from being pulled out by something in the road, no latching. It is a flat connection to another flat connection, if you get ANY dirt in there it will move the magnet apart and you will sit with the same problem of intermittent connections...

Rather look at wireless connections. Use a brad harrison to connect 12V to your trailer and power the wireless light control with that. When something does go wrong, you only have 2 connections to worry about, not 7...
Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

I've had a look at these plugs and think they will work perfectly on normal smooth road surfaces. I'm not sure it will stay together properly on corrugated dirt roads. On a 2 spoor type track you will have to ensure the cable loop doesn't hang down as grass or bushes in the middle of the track can pull the plug apart. The dust cap on the magnetic plug doesn't hook over the back of other half as an added measure to keep them together.
I'd like to see a change over to the European type plug like those fitted as standard on the VW vehicles. They twist in giving a good positive lock and connection.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Wave

Post by Wave »

This looks pretty good, only trying it will tell if it's good over time, the issue I have is your vehicle can only tow your trailer, adding to that as far as I know, and I could be wrong, the std 7 pin is a Roadworthy item, ie that's what both vehicles have to have.

Back to my point, I cannot tow your trailer, and you cannot tow my trailer as we will have different plugs, this can open a whole new can of worms...

As Paul said the Euro spec is brilliant as it twists and locks.

If you're having issues with your 1 indicator then take a look at your connections, wiring and plugs, open them up and check, often the wires are corroded inside the plug,even replace both plugs if need be, they're only about R50 ea.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tappetalk

Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Gravel road

Do take no Prisoners
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Thanks for the comments.

Those concerned that the magnet will pull lose easier that the conventional - if the conventional plug wire catches something it rips it all to hell.
That little latch lid does squat.
I'd prefer it it just uncoupled. Easier to drive with no lights than to have all the wiring torn out as happened to me.

Ge'off, you raise a good point, but I see they sell an adaptor, so if you need to tow me I just give you the adaptor.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

It’s crap.
Flex is overrated

Wave

Post by Wave »

Agreed, the std 7 pin cord can be pulled, and the receiver does a pretty good job of holding the trailers plug, as as you say, the cord gets caught up on something and the cord gets ripped out of the plug. This happened to Bazza on a camping trip a good few years back, we sat at camp the next day repairing the trailers wiring so he could legally tow home.

It does seem to be an expensive exercise as ideally you will need to buy the kit (R295 + R295) + the adapter (R345) and I see the adapter allows you to tow my trailer, but I still cannot tow your trailer... so when Henris comes to recover you in Zambia he has a problem.
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

Manny, my concern, constant jarring on some real bad dirt roads, will it hold,

And dirt or lube will still maintain contact, other than the above , I love it.
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Brutus, (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Outlaw Shaun

Post by Outlaw Shaun »

I would like to see it and feel it work.
From the video it looks like it makes a descent magnetic connection.
Would it keep dust and the likes out , only a descent test will tell.

As with the standard convention plug in type , over years of experience in towing and losing cables and plugs in rough terrain , you need to find a suitable position to mount it out of harms way , and same count for the trailers cable .

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I think the 4x4Action group should sponsor a set so I can do some field testing.... :D

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Clearly Manny likes this new one.

Why can’t they design a Brad Harrison type connector with 7 proper pins interlocking without any “play” and make this an alternative roadworthy worthy standard for towing?

The current design and this magnetic one have serious shortcomings.
Flex is overrated

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

The European 13-pin connector (ISO 11446) solves most of the problems with the 7-pin connector. It has a twist type bayonet lock that makes it easier to connect and disconnect while giving a better seal from the elements. It's been the standard of VW and some of the other European manufacturers for about 10 years now.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

So where do you get this Euro Spec twist bayonet lock one that has been the Euro spec for so long?

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

They are available at a one local retailer and some websites from overseas Manny.
1) https://trail-link.co.za/product-category/plugs/ The last plug on this page.
2) https://www.takealot.com/auto-kraft-13- ... lsrc=aw.ds For the adapter.
3) googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=sandra&utm_campaign=sandra-ssc-za-all-0628-20LP&ad_id=445211076419&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5PGFBhC2ARIsAIFIMNe-0H7OaHD_jJ3L6SgE7H3ouf9LWEP6rGEyXPxRRrXYmGRLkhu3HfgaAq4SEALw_wcB
2004 Disco 2 Td5