4x4 Action Group

How much time do you want to spend setting up camp?

Offroad Trailers and Caravans, Equipment, Tips & Tricks
Mike Nel

How much time do you want to spend setting up camp?

Post by Mike Nel »

Really easy question. Not so easy answer.

Me, personally. I like to set up as quick as possible to crack a beer as soon as possible. Some people like spending a hour or two setting up because that's part of the camping experience.

All my gear that I bought was bought with that in mind. I do not want to spend more than 30mins max setting up and also not more than 30mins packing up.

How about you?

30 mins
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

On shorter trips (1-3) days - about 30 to 60 min.

On longer trips (3 - 14 days) - about 60 to 90 min.

Depends on what your requirements are.

30 - 90 mins
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

I am there to enjoy the experience of the surrounds. Setup and takedown needs to happen as fast as possible. On our trip to Bots, our morning camp takedown was under 20 minutes, from the time ablutions were completed, to on the road. We would then find a decent lookout point to make breakfast and brew a coffee.

30 mins

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

Think that would depend a lot on your definition of camping is.
For some that would mean taking all the creature comforts along and for others that would mean being happy with the bare minimum.
The more creature comforts the longer it is going to take.

I treat my car as a slightly larger version of my hiking backpack so travel extremely light by most peoples standards.
If it takes more than ~15 min then I have to much stuff.

30 mins

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Our Bots trip with the Off Road Trailer we averaged 1.5 hours per set up. No rush at all. Stop to do birding, take in the surrounds, whatever. Mornings were started by a cup of coffee and a rusk and take in the earliness. Pack up then ablutions.

Our longest set up was 4 hours in the KNP for my 60th. Midday heat and a bottle of ice cold Amarula caused that.

Now with the van we oodle along at an hour packing up and that includes a nice cup of coffee and a rusk, and ablutions. When we overnight or park under a tree we don't put the tent up. If the tent goes up for 3 or more days add 30 mins.

Cheers

60 mins if timed

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

How much time do i want to set up camp? None, but that's impossible.

If its a trip where i just take my vehicle, it is a case of taking out the table and chairs and if needed fold out the awning. Then before dark i would need to connect up the lights.

If i take the trailer along then it is just a few more tables, setting up the cooking arrangements and possibly a gazebo type awning.

I do believe it depends on how you pack and if you have a good setup. If you spend time packing properly and in an organised manner then you will not need to unpack all your stuff to find the one item you may need. Your vehicle setup also makes a big difference. A well thought out packing system that allows you access to all your stuff also means less unpacking and fiddling. I strongly believe in the keep it simple philosophy.

30 - 45mins depending on if trailer is taken

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Are you a politician Andreas?
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

LX

Post by LX »

I arrive at the Campsite around 1 am, it takes me less than 15 min to set up, and packing up can take up to 30 min...

30 mins - longer if we arrive after dark - as usual
Mr LX
2008 HUMMER H3 Adventure +
2023 LX1 Off-Road Camper Trailer
www.kgobisa.com | info@kgobisa.com

BillyH

Post by BillyH »

If I take my gazebo, 15 minutes.

If not, park, unpack the chairs and drink beer.

30 mins
Membership # 0373 since 21 May 2015

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

10 to 20 minutes would be ideal. My setup takes about 4 - 5 hours setting everything up. Thats the tent, beds, kitchen, clothes cupboards, etc. It is very inefficient. So bad in fact, that we do not want to camp when its less than a long weekends stay. Takedown takes as long...

My biggest time consumer is the tent and beds. Change to say rooftop tent or trailer with tent will remove about 2 hours. Then setting up the kitchen takes another hour or so. Again slide out kitchen or built into a trailer will get the setup time down immensely. The cost to save 3 hours is a problem though...

Many hours
Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

Samaya wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:12 pm
My setup takes about 4 - 5 hours setting everything up.
Yoh.... :shock:
Got tired just reading that.

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

That’s why I love my Hard Top RTT. It’s open within 1min and the bed’s already made. 270 Degree awning is also less than a minute setup. 5 Minutes max setup time when I crack the first beer.

The Bushlapa takes me 20mins, but even that is not to bad. And trust me, I am still looking at Off-road vans that can cut further into this time.

I’m with Andreas on this. I wouldn’t want to spend any time setting up camp. Ideally I would have a butler doing this for me.
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

grips

Post by grips »

I used to camp with caravans. The older ones could take up to 2 hours to set up. The Xplorer I had even with a full tent seldom took longer than 45 minutes. Currently busy to kit the 79 Cruiser. Will start a thread once it is finished. The whole built is about to set up camp as quickly and easy as possible.
I aim for 5 minutes from the moment I stop till I have the first whisky in my hand.
Ek is verby die ouderdom van pennetjies kap. :lol:

30 mins
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

NJVermaak

Post by NJVermaak »

Camping is about sitting - so anything longer than 20min and I'm gatvol!

Fridge gets to slide out first for a cold one, Bush Lapa takes around 15minutes to set up if we don't put up the awning sides. About 30min to pack up and leave, we're very bad with putting stuff back after using it, but we're working on that.

Bakkie and RTT, 10minutes and I sit down.

My favourite campsite pass time is watching others struggle with too much stuff.... seen many a couple walk off in separate directions when camp is up :lol:

30 mins
NJ Vermaak

LC79 4.5 V8 Double Cab | LC79 4.2 Single Cab | Bush Lapa Miskruier

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

I have sold my Metalian so I am all about easy camping now.

Pop up tent, fold up mattress, sleeping bag and a cooler box. No wife.

Easy!!!

30 mins
Flex is overrated