Mikem Supsension

4 Prado 120 mods: can you do better?

Offroad Trailers and Caravans, Equipment, Tips & Tricks
LesseW

4 Prado 120 mods: can you do better?

Post by LesseW »

Hi all,

So here are the initial 4 mods and equipment I want to add to the Prado 120 with some (feedback) from my side. The electrical components are FCKing over priced and I refuse to pay that amount of money , I will rather support the local auto electrician:

1. Frontrunner roof rack:
- full Front runner roof rack ( this is so far my 1st choice and it will be hard to change my mind because of all the gadgets that can be added later)
- 1/2 Front runner roof rack (RTT takes all the space)

2. Frontrunner drawer system:
- Generic drawer system with 2 drawers (6 Cub boxes) and sliding top (my 1st choice so far as it is value for money at R 10500)
- Dedicated Prado 120 drawer system (6 cub boxes) but no sliding top. (not my first choice as it is R3000 more expensive with no sliding top)

3. Frontrunner RTT:
- https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/e ... -tent.html (not happy after the review from Get-out-and-Go, apparently very cold in winter, but the Price R12 100 is right!)
- I emailed Howling Moon and await their pricing on their products

4. Lights and dual battery system:
- Frontrunner gave me a quote for R 20 000 for a DC-25 power pack and 3x 27W LED lights with all cables etc. This is ridiculous and I will not pay this price!
- I will buy the lights and do it myself unless i can support someone local who is discriminated against by the state

You support is appreciated, If i buy your suggestion i will buy you a nice bottle of Whiskey or Brandy when the shops open again.
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

*Get 4G to build you a battery system.
* Get the FR Roof Racks but look/wait for pre-loved.
*Drawer system ... refer my prev post on this matter ... get a welding/braising guy to build a appropriate set of drawers ... to your design, ... thats adequate for your needs rather than those of a Sherman Tank Commander.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Hey Wessel.

Take your time and give your mods a great deal of thought before you commit. a change later will cost more money.

Certainly, a full roof rack is the way to go. If you go for a fold out tent you still have part of the rack for other bits and bobs. Overloading the rack and carrying stuff high up on the vehicle is to be considered. Personally i prefer the lazy mans option of a hard shell tent. Also a good place for a solar panel.

As far as drawers is concerned. The systems that use up the entire width of the boot area, always leave a problem as to what do you do with your fridge. With the drawers taking up the width the fridge has to be mounted on top of them. This leaves the fridge very high and access is compromised. Yes you can get drop down slide for the fridge but that is added expense. The tilt slides are rubbish in my opinion.

I like the ones with drawers one side and fridge on the other side, with a sliding platform with tie down points across the top. Would probably have to be custom made but worth looking at. Custom made you could also sneak in a built in compressor. You have a certain area ( width and Height) to work with, you got to make the best use of it.

Roof top tent. My vote is for a hard shell type tent. I know it takes up the whole rack but they are worth it, absolutely. If you intend modding your vehicle as a stand alone camping unit you will find it a hassle to put up and take down the tent every time you want to move, especially for early morning drives etc. or when the tent is wett or dusty, you get dirty before you depart. There are hard shell tents that can take a small load on top of them, but i would suggest a good capacity solar panel mounted on top. I can park in the shade under a tree and still get enough charge to re charge my battery.

Look forward to my bottle of Johnnie Black!

Electrics. My experience, go modular and expandable. These things have a habit of going poof! Get dc to dc charger, separate solar charger etc. Keep it as simple as possible. When out on a trip you need to be able to sort it out yourself. If its modular and one system fails you can use another.

Most people spend way too much money on lights. You don't need to be seen from miles away. A little light goes a long way. The Lumeno range of LED lights are great and simple to set up.

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Just out of interest: Oztent or RTT?
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

😂😂😂😂😂

Difficult one. You are younger than me but I do t like sleeping on the ground. With Oztent you also need to find packing space for your mattress and bedding. With RTT it all stays inside.

My vote RTT.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

... I tend to agree with Andreas wrt hardshell
tent which could be an Oyster type or a Pagoda style like his .
Disadvantages are : higher price and heavier
than av RTT ... advantages as he says though it may be aerodynamically better wrt noise and fuel consumption and it probably retains value to resale better.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Anthony Forgey must be consulted to build your drawer system. He can make it custom and I am sure at a good price because he’s a nice guy like that.

Go and have a chat with him, he’s in Jukskei Park.

PS - forget about ammo boxes, they are kak. Get proper drawers, they take a lot more and are not frustrating like the lids of ammo boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flex is overrated

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

My input:

1. I've had Fearless for 10 years - I've never needed a Roof Rack.

2. Roof Racks add drag, decrease range & are difficult to get things to & from.

2. You have a family & a Bush Lapa - you will very seldom use the RTT - rather get a ground tent for those 4 or 5 nights a year you'll be camping 'man alleen'.

3. A RTT is costly, adds wind resistance & weight - not worth it for the usage you'll give it.

4. Drawer system - as others suggested - get 4Gee or some privateer to custom manufacture one.

5. Front Runner is for posers with too much money.

6. You have a Bush Lapa (repeat).

Stick your cheap Whiskey - I have a refined pallet...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

My 5 cents worth:

I have both the Bushlapa and a Impi hard shell RTT.

I use the RTT for trips where it’s just me or when its me and my oldest. The Bushlapa is used for the whole family.

I had a FR drawer system in my first FJ and hated it. It took up way to much space. So reverted back to ammo boxes in the second FJ. It works better for me.

In the 200 I’ve got a fridge slide and I pack ammo boxes next to it which gets tied down. Again. It works for me
4E1256D2-691A-49D0-8929-297659539EA2.jpeg
The only time a drawer system worked for me was in the bakkie.
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Thank you everyone for your input so far.

RTT not an option anymore, bought an Oztent RV3 for a bargain which will fit onto a roofrack. Really easy to set.
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4