4x4 Action Group

Mazhou Camp - Mapungubwe

Offroad camping places
AndreasR

Mazhou Camp - Mapungubwe

Post by AndreasR »

Mapungubwe is situated on the northern border of SA where the borders of SA, Botswana and Zimbabwe meet.

This is a camp on the western side on the reserve near the Limpopo River.

There are ten camp sites all adequately shaded arranged in a circular pattern around an ablution block. All sites have good water and an electrical point with a light(unfortunately some people insist on leaving their lights on the whole night).
Braai facilities are good. There is very little privacy between campsites so you don’t get that Bush camping feeling.

The ablution block has one male one female toilet and shower which is not enough. They were clean when I used them but I am sure that with ten campsites they do take heavy traffic. Plenty of hot clean water.

Beware of the constant threat from monkeys and baboons. There are also a lot of Nyala roaming the camp.

Also be aware that Mapungubwe is split into and East and a West section. This camp is in the West section and you have to leave the park and travel about 40 Km to the Eastern section where the main part of the park is. Try to rather book in the eastern section. We took what was available at the time.

Price is about R300 per night.

The Mapungubwe Park was to me a disappointment. I know that probably people will disagree but I found that it is much more a heritage site than a Game Reserve, and even as a heritage site it is pretty unimpressive. Perhaps I arrived with preconceived ideas of what it would be like but it did not live up to my expectations as far as scenery is concerned. Perhaps it was the wrong time of year to visit. Maybe summer it is different.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Thank you Andreas
Flex is overrated