Maxxis Tyres

Pafuri River Camp

Offroad camping places
AndreasR

Pafuri River Camp

Post by AndreasR »

Stayed here a few nights recently.

Pafuri River Camp is situated right outside the northern most gate of the Kruger National Park, Pafuri. From here it is ideal to enter the park to visit places like Crooks Corner (the border of Mozambique, Zimbabwe and SA), the fever tree forest etc. This part of the park also has hundreds of Baobab Trees.

The camp itself is well maintained. Check in is flawless and the owner Martin showed us to a very nice campsite with ample shade and our own private ablutions which were spotless and had plenty of hot water. I do believe that when the place is busier you would have to share ablutions with another site or two but not more that three sites to an ablution block. The water is however pumped from the river where the cattle goats and donkeys roam so I would not recommend drinking it. The site itself was completely covered by trees. So shady that an awning or gazebo is not required. Looking around, I think all the sites are like that.

A water tap is provided on the camp site. No electricity. There is a concrete braai circle on the ground for fires or braai. The grid provided was useless so luckily I had my own.

There is a village nearby from which we heard the occasional music from but nothing serious. As is the habit of Limpopo village people they insist on tying bells to their livestock so the clanging of bells is pretty constant during the day but the animals get rounded up at night so sleep is not affected.

Bird life is abundant. I’m no birder so save to say there were lots of flying things. Every night we were visited by the resident genet which was a big bonus as these are not easily spotted in the wild. This one was obviously fed by campers as it would appear every night and hang around. Was nice to get a good look at this normally very shy animal. Bush babies also made their appearance.

All in all I would say a very pleasant experience and a worthwhile place to stay over if you are going that far north.

Price R300 per night for two adults.

Crips

Post by Crips »

Sounds nice

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Chris

2016 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 Auto
1999 Jurgens Explorer

Anthony Forgey

Post by Anthony Forgey »

Good post Andreas

Nico-MAD

Post by Nico-MAD »

Thanks Andreas. Been thinking of going there for a while. Sounds good so we will give it a go.
Nico