Mikem Supsension

Sodwana/Kosi bay road info 2023

Offroad camping places
Asjas

Sodwana/Kosi bay road info 2023

Post by Asjas »

Hello fellow friends and offroaders.

I will be heading to Sodwana/Mabibi &kosi bay on the 7th Of June, thus i'l give a rough summery of the road conditions if anyone is interested or heading that way later this year. Especially with the high rate of trucking accidents around Pongola last year.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

We have done a trip down to Hluhluwe from Edenvale a few weeks back. The N17 isn't bad until you get the coal truck past Ermelo. From there into Piet Retief is not a fun drive. The potholes get bigger and deeper as you go. There aren't yellow lines so the trucks can't move left to make overtaking easier. The other traffic don't mind overtaking into oncoming traffic believing you will make a plan to get out of their way. If you leave a decent following distance to see the upcoming potholes, cars will pass you and fill the gap.
From Piet Retief the road is about the same until you get into KZN. The trucks are still the same but the road conditions are a lot better. There are stretches where trucks can move into the left yellow lane area which helps a lot. The trucks are a problem until until Richards Bay. Unfortunately there aren't many other options for us to get to that area.
You have to accept that the road is kak and the other people on the road are suicidal, and drive accordingly. We stayed over in Piet Retief to split the trip into 2 more manageable drives. You don't want to be on any part of the trip after dark. There are donkeys and other animals on the road, we nearly hit a bunch of goats that I'd slowed down for. They ran back into the road in front of us. During the day there are also people that run across the road without looking.
Take it easy and don't rush, enjoy the scenery as you dodge the potholes and trucks.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

So how was the trip? Would love to do that area again.

Sent from my SM-A032F using Tapatalk