Erin Bosch, Insurance

Rust de Winter / " Jeep Club " / ATV 4*4 RdW

Offroad camping places
BushWacker

Rust de Winter / " Jeep Club " / ATV 4*4 RdW

Post by BushWacker »

I recently went to RdW to do a 'Bush Trail with the LROC ... perhaps 15-20 vehicles camped and another 10 or so came through for the day.
Its a well known venue that has been adopted by different groups through the years eg Nissan, Jeep and currently ... Toyota ... but generally known as " Jeep Club " or the " ATV 4*4 Club" !
Folk Lore has it that , back in the day, cattle drovers congregated here ' to Rest For Winter ' ... reminiscent ( to me ! ) of the early Clint Eastwood series of ' RawHide' ...
A nice camp ground - you camp under and around a grove of massive old Monkey Thorn ( Acacia galpinii ) but its right next to a busy secondary tarred road, near to the cattle-thirst-quenching Pienaars river ... so somewhat noisy at night etc
Its a good shady camping area with good ablutions, hot water etc and is fenced and seems to have good security.
Ive been there a number of times over the years ... and done various trail routes in the local area including visits to the nearby Rust de Winter Reserve/Dam.
I'll attach their website below.

This last visit we did a long trail of 50km with a fair amount of heavy driving. Each driver was issued with a 'topologic' instruction leaflet ( see below pages 5 to 1 !) that directed them through that long trail over/through the route ... so no convoy hold ups or waiting for the large number of trailists ... each car going at its own pace over the day etc

A good few days after getting back to Randburg I wandered round to the far side of my 130 and noticed that I had torn the top left shoulder guttering of my canopy ...
I must have shaved a tree when winding through one of the thickly treed areas ...,didnt know or feel etc anything at the time ...( pictures show damage & temp fix for coming Kosi Bay trip... Will get Silvertons to braze it in due course )

https://www.4x4atv.org/
Attachments
E1BBD843-E8E8-4138-9296-37BA10E74ECB.jpeg
333F8FD6-0F7C-471D-B0C5-8EFD99A43969.jpeg
E6A76BA8-212C-4882-83F7-F4035DD478B1.jpeg
EFD924D5-00EC-4125-A23F-7D32E2B624AF.jpeg
7BFEA559-890B-4F92-A842-1033B71225D1.jpeg
819422E0-2F5A-4DAA-B6CE-5782652EB900.jpeg
404ECD80-BE6C-406B-908D-09D914F31E7B.jpeg
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

BushWacker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:41 am
... or the " ATV 4*4 Club" !
Chas, we refer to our vehicles as 4 x 4's (Four by Four)because the drive goes to 4 of the 4 wheels.
A Golf, for example is a 4 x 2 as drive goes to 2 of the 4 wheels.
A motorbike is a 2 x 1.
So Four by Four means Four driven by Four, Four by Two means Four driven by Two, the' X' means 'by'...

A 2 x 4, is a piece of wood that is 2" by 4". Today its called a 50mm x 100mm.
Strangely, an uncommon size, a 50mm x 75mm (Purlin) is far more common.

Some Trucks are 6 x 4, in that 4 of the 6 get drive.

So the first number is the number of wheels & the 2nd is the multiply that recieve drive.

It is therefore nonsensical to refer to our vehicles as 4*4 (Four Asterix Four) unless Asterix the Gaul is powering the vehicle (whether assisted by Obelix or not)...

Clear?
Attachments
Asterix The Gaul.jpg
Asterix The Gaul.jpg (9.18 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Rust De Winter is a great Venue.
The ATV Club runs the venue.
The people who run the ATV Club also run ORRA.

I have done the Mountain Route - two days & you camp atop the mountain.

I'm surprised no Club/Forum member has arranged an outing there yet.
Hopefully someone with leadership & initiative will do so in the coming months.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

BushWacker wrote:
A good few days after getting back to Randburg I wandered round to the far side of my 130 and noticed that I had torn the top left shoulder guttering of my canopy ...
I must have shaved a tree when winding through one of the thickly treed areas ...,didnt know or feel etc anything at the time ...
( pictures show damage & temp fix for coming Kosi Bay trip... Will get Silvertons to braze it in due course )
Maybe get someone to change the colour to match the Defender, so that rusted, battered, patched, primed canopy is less of an eyesore?

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Manny it’s “i before e except after c”
Flex is overrated

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Mad Manny wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 am
BushWacker wrote:
... or the " ATV 4*4 Club" !
Chas, we refer to our vehicles as 4 x 4's (Four by Four)because the drive goes to 4 of the 4 wheels.
A Golf, for example is a 4 x 2 as drive goes to 2 of the 4 wheels.
A motorbike is a 2 x 1.
So Four by Four means Four driven by Four, Four by Two means Four driven by Two, the' X' means 'by'...

A 2 x 4, is a piece of wood that is 2" by 4". Today its called a 50mm x 100mm.
Strangely, an uncommon size, a 50mm x 75mm (Purlin) is far more common.

Some Trucks are 6 x 4, in that 4 of the 6 get drive.

So the first number is the number of wheels & the 2nd is the multiply that recieve drive.

It is therefore nonsensical to refer to our vehicles as 4*4 (Four Asterix Four) unless Asterix the Gaul is powering the vehicle (whether assisted by Obelix or not)...

Clear?
... you a confused chap ... !
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

KurtG wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 am
Manny it’s “i before e except after c”
... etc
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Mad Manny wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:15 am
BushWacker wrote:
I must have shaved a tree when winding through one of the thickly treed areas ...,didnt know or feel etc anything at the time ...
( pictures show damage & temp fix for coming Kosi Bay trip... Will get Silvertons to braze it in due course )
Maybe get someone to change the colour to match the Defender, so that rusted, battered, patched, primed canopy is less of an eyesore?
... I have indeed put some thought into effecting improvement/s to my canopy ...
Ive had it over 10 years now and it was given to me, as an old canopy, by a guy in Pinetown and I think its served time at the coast ... as I was surprise to find that rust in the pressed (1-2mm) metal sheeting.
( Toyotas etc have 1/2 life of about 2 yrs at the coast ... )

Its very heavy ... takes 4 strong men to lift it ... and here and there will obviously need derusting and panel beating before painting. The side doors are heavy and cumbersome andI'm looking at replacing them with thin braced steel plate gullwings and putting a shelf system in.
Canopies for 130s are not common in the secondhand market though obviously can have them custom made for a price.
... so yes ... weighing up investing time/money on it,
or just buying a new custom one - to my own design etc ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...