Maxxis Tyres

FORD RANGER D/C 2.0LT 4X4

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Ricof4e

FORD RANGER D/C 2.0LT 4X4

Post by Ricof4e »

The itch in my arse is back.

I am at this stage in my HP that I can consider selling the Navara and put down a deposit on something else. Suffice it to state that unless Nissan brings out a 3lt within the next 12 months, this will be my last Nissan.

Started to shop around for a D/C 4x4 and my first option that I had a look at was the single turbo Ford 2,0lt. The reason why I am considering the single turbo above the bi-turbo is that I am afraid I will have the same hassles with the bi-turbo as I have with my Navara - which I have posted about before. Furthermore, it seems that you only get the full benefit of the NM if and once you put the engine under stress - as Reenen's thread pointed out. On a standard dyno, you just don't get the advertised torque figures.

I drove the single turbo and the 10speed auto is a gem. My only complaint is that in normal traffic conditions, you can feel it constantly searching for the optimal gear vs optimal rev range. It may become a bit annoying after a while. Also, the acceleration from 100kph to 120kph is quite frankly poor - whether this is due to the gearbox or the turbo - doesn't matter - its poor and I reckon at least 4 -5 seconds slower than the Hilux, Navara, Triton etc.

Don't get me wrong, the price tag draws me like a moth to a flame and I don't think I am ready to pay in excess of 600k for a D/C yet. The Ford is priced competitively at around 580k. For this price you get decent kit, specs and a towbar as standard - more or less what I got with my Navara SE.

The thing that surprised me was the build quality. It was poor in some respects and probably shows why it is so competitively priced. There are uneven gaps in the plastics, the mcgafter that heats the rear window is exposed and an eye soar and it sounds like a shitty golf when you close the doors - that hollow sound.

For some reason, when I got into the bi-turbo Ranger and Everest, the build quality seemed to be better but it comes with a decent spike in price.

To me, If I had to consider the Ranger as a replacement, I will have to look at the 3.2, but I fear that may be too agricultural. Plus, I don't really need the 3.2 motor (although I have oodles of respect for that motor).

Seems I will need to have a look at the Hilux. Its either that or I will have to wait for the new Isuzu, which I hope will come to SA - might be able to stretch my wallet if the 3,0lt is as good as it is advertised.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

If it were me, I'd wait for the 2020 D-Max, but I would only buy one 18 months after launch...
So that's about a 2 year wait if not longer.

If I went mad & decided to buy a Ford I'd rather take the 2.2 TDCi Ranger than the SiT 2.0.

But I can understand why you want to rid yourself of the Navara...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Mad Manny wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:42 pm
If it were me, I'd wait for the 2020 D-Max, but I would only buy one 18 months after launch...
So that's about a 2 year wait if not longer.

If I went mad & decided to buy a Ford I'd rather take the 2.2 TDCi Ranger than the SiT 2.0.

But I can understand why you want to rid yourself of the Navara...

My brother drives the 2.2 and I am not a fan of it.

For once, you may be right. The new Isuzu may just be worth the wait
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

Can you still get the 3.2?

The two bi turbos we have at the office is behaving well OK only 22 000km and 13 000km. But totally hassle free.

Wave

Post by Wave »

It seems in your post that there are more negative points than good, so do you really like the Ford? It does seem strange that the fit and finish of the cheaper version is not the same as the top end, they are assembled in the same factory, using the same equipment and staff. I have also heard that the Ford actually has too many gears, maybe a marketing plot by Ford over practical?

I too would wait for the new Isuzu, or dare I say it Mazda, even if you don't like it, you have at least given yourself the chance to see it.

You can still get the 3.2 Ranger, but I suspect that it will slowly be phased out in favour of the 2.0 mills.
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Mal Hannes wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:13 pm
Can you still get the 3.2?

The two bi turbos we have at the office is behaving well OK only 22 000km and 13 000km. But totally hassle free.
you still get the 3.2 yes
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Wave wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 am
It seems in your post that there are more negative points than good, so do you really like the Ford? It does seem strange that the fit and finish of the cheaper version is not the same as the top end, they are assembled in the same factory, using the same equipment and staff. I have also heard that the Ford actually has too many gears, maybe a marketing plot by Ford over practical?

I too would wait for the new Isuzu, or dare I say it Mazda, even if you don't like it, you have at least given yourself the chance to see it.

You can still get the 3.2 Ranger, but I suspect that it will slowly be phased out in favour of the 2.0 mills.
I have always liked the Ranger as a DC. Before I bought my Navara, I looked at the 2.2 4x4. It had more power, space and luxuries than my previous DC (NP300), but Ford gave me an absolute horrible deal. They offered my 40k less than Nissan on my NP300. With a fibre glass canopy and towbar, they offered me the 2.2 at 490k and with 170k trade in on the NP300. Nissan offered me 210k for my NP300 and quoted the Navara with an alu-canopy and towbar at 520k. The Navara had way more power, comfort, safety and standard kit than the Ranger. So I chose the Navara. the 3.2 Ranger 4x4 was just a few rands to far for me.

The grunt of the 2.0lt seems enough, but only on paper. As I now know, bi-turbo technology has its perks and its quirks.

Perhaps you are right, I will wait and see what the new Isuzu brings - but I fear it will cost well in excess of 650k by then.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser