4x4 Action Group

The Great Wrangler Debate...

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Mad Manny

The Great Wrangler Debate...

Post by Mad Manny »

So the Great & Iconic Jeep Wrangler, which, unlike the Defender, has been kept up to date & relevant despite increasingly stringent CO2 & Safety regulations, is largely unchallenged...

But lately a few competitors have been eyeing the Wrangler niche (which is big in the US but all but dead here in SA), I think, sensing an onslaught is what prompted Jeep to develop a Jeep Bakkie.

Anyhoo... what are the alternatives to the Wrangler?

Maybe, in certain applications, the Land Cruiser 76 is a viable alternative, but certainly not as a trail vehicle.

The BAIC (BJ) knock off Jeep & the Mahindra Thar are hardly comparable.

So what other options are there
The G-Wagon at over R2.7 million is an option, it's no longer SFA - but then what is these days? But costs twice what its worth.

The upcoming Ford Bronco...

Perhap the new Defender 90 (it has a 100" wheel base, the JL is 96.8 and the JLU is 118.4)

Any others?

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Being solid axles front and rear you really can’t look past the new Jimny. Except for the complete lack of a boot or decent engine power, it must be the nearest competitor (on paper).
Flex is overrated

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

The only thing in the pipeline that’ll challenge the Wrangler is the Grenadier.
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

KurtG wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 pm
Being solid axles front and rear you really can’t look past the new Jimny. Except for the complete lack of a boot or decent engine power, it must be the nearest competitor (on paper).
I'll wager that the Wrangler will kick the Jimny in the teeth when it comes to power and torque on any obstacle. It will always have the edge on any 4x4 trail. Rather compare the jimny to that Fiat Renegade.

Manny summed it up about right.

If you had to choose a vehicle in the Jeep category, buy the Everest/MUX/Fortuner. Better value for money.
Last edited by Ricof4e on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Oppies3800

Post by Oppies3800 »

The Wrangler is a perfect vehicle for cruising in Sea Point

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Could this be sarcasm?

grips

Post by grips »

Stock or modified Wranglers. :lol: Stock it is about the same as Fearless. Wranglers are nice toys but not that capable straight from the showroom.
You need to spend big bucks to get it leading the pack.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

I think the 400hp Defender is going to be a big kick in the nuts for the Wrangler.

sure, the high end defender is going to be around 1,5bar against the Full House Rubicon at 925k - and In the Us it will be 50% more too.

but, if you want a 400hp Wrangler, you need to send it to get a Hemi fitted which doubles the price. The top end Defender 90 has a full roll back canvas roof like the option on the Wranglers - which hits that 'convertible' spot very nicely.

the lower end Defenders are more than the lower end JLs so... it's a bit expensive.

Likewise, the Bronco - the removable top is a big lifestyle drawcard in places like LA and Florida and Redneck land. and it should have a decent motor in the top model, and be well priced.

I think the Wrangler has traded on style as much as capability for years. specifically the soft top. Most aren't bought by the first owner for offroading.

but if you want the absolute last word in trail ability I don't think you are going to beat a live axle wrangler with anything on the market. the JL stock has got a couple of inches of ground clearance than a Stock JK - it's noticeably bigger. and lifts aren't overly expensive. When I got my JK new, added a 3" lift, Rims and 35s it was still less than a new FJ Cruiser and only a few grand more than a Fortuner.

The G wagon is way too much money and unless you get the Landaulet at WAY more money it lacks the soft top.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

grips

Post by grips »

I do not think we will ever see a new Defender on Extreme Trails.I am not talking special built 4x4`s like in King of the Hammers. Extreme trails are ruled by SFA 4x4`s and the King of this stays the Wrangler. Easy to modify with lots of aftermarket extra`s.

New Defender`s greatest competition will be the Discovery.

I have this silly feeling that the new Defender will not make a big name off road. Please I am not saying it is not capable but it is a shift of class from hardcore to almost Range Rover type of thing.

david bfreesani

Post by david bfreesani »

Grips, I thought the Y62 would be the same because of it's price tag and fancy bits, but I see the Aussies like it just as much. And there will always be somebody with enough money to pull any expensive vehicle through his bum.
David vd Merwe
1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani SFA
150mm Lift, 33" rubber, dual transfer cases

grips

Post by grips »

The Y62 is available in Australia since 2013. With a very poor secondhand value it is understandable that the guys trash them

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

Ricoffy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 am
KurtG wrote:
I'll wager that the Wrangler will kick the Jimny in the teeth when it comes to power and torque on any obstacle. It will always have the edge on any 4x4 trail. Rather compare the jimny to that Fiat Renegade.

If you had to choose a vehicle in the Jeep category, buy the Everest/MUX/Fortuner. Better value for money.
Power and Torque mean bugger all off-road, except in the dunes - What counts off-road is tyre size, and that is where the Jeep has the advantage, kits are readily available to lift it to be able to fit stupidly big tyres.

In stock form the Jimny will run circles around a stock Wrangler. You are joking about Jimny vs Renegade, I hope.

NEW

Post by NEW »

A renagade (Fiat 500x) is an over priced soft roader. I say this with due cognisance of the fact that the renegade might out perform my GV Dune on a trial...

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

NEW wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 am
A renagade (Fiat 500x) is an over priced soft roader. I say this with due cognisance of the fact that the renegade might out perform my GV Dune on a trial...
And only because your Dune doesn't have any traction aids whatsoever. The Dune did great at Berakah. I'm not so sure I would want to take a Renegade there.

NEW

Post by NEW »

Saxj wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:53 am
NEW wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 am
And only because your Dune doesn't have any traction aids whatsoever. The Dune did great at Berakah. I'm not so sure I would want to take a Renegade there.
On the topic, I am not sure in what possible way a Fiat500x.... I mean a Fiat Renegade.... I mean a Jeep Renegade could be compared to a wrangler. They only have a badge in common...

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

Saxj wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:36 am
Ricoffy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 am
KurtG wrote:

Power and Torque mean bugger all off-road, except in the dunes - What counts off-road is tyre size, and that is where the Jeep has the advantage, kits are readily available to lift it to be able to fit stupidly big tyres.

In stock form the Jimny will run circles around a stock Wrangler. You are joking about Jimny vs Renegade, I hope.
As capable as the Jimny is, I think you misunderstand the value of power and torque in off road situations. Without these you require momentum in many off-road scenarios - momentum without sufficient engine torque means speed and speed tends to break things. ;)
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted: