Healthy Sleep

The Great Defender Debate...

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Mad Manny

The Great Defender Debate...

Post by Mad Manny »

From 2020 there will be three options if you are looking for what used to be the Land Rover Defender.

They are:
1. The 2020 Defender, which I'm hoping TGWInduna will champion.

2. The Grenadier by Sir William Ratcliff, which I trust Neil XJJunkie will Champion.

3. The Force Gurka which I am sure Estee can back...

Let the debate begin...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I heard they give a chromed oil catch pan as a gift with this Defender
Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

None of them will be as good as the Pajero on BFG tyres as proper 4x4’s so I’m really not that interested
Flex is overrated

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

My brief views:

2020 Defender:
Not SFA.
Too High Tech.
Too Expensive.
No resemblance to the Iconic Defender

Grenadier:
Hasn't been launched yet.
Will also be pricey.

Force Gurka:
Basically a Old G-Wagon knock off made in India.
63kW & 63liter tank & 63secs to get to 120km/h.
Even Mahindra drivers will find it unrefined.
Old Defender drivers may find it uncomfortable.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

tgwinduna RIP

Post by tgwinduna RIP »

The All New Land Rover Defender
Product code L663 manufactured in Nitra Slovakia the same plant that manufactured my Discovery 5.
This will be the most advanced 4X4 ever produced in the world to date. It will come with many accolades being the first in the world and one that really interest me is the under water sonar option.
Amazingly South Africa will actually receive their stock before the USA, my son living in San Francisco order his on the launch day and will only take delivery in the spring, April. So he will take delivery in Montauk NY, The Hamptons New York. I will fly into JFK and meet up with him and the we are going to drive the Landy all the way down to Pebble Beach CA 8 days and 7 nights. Father and Son trip
According to Prof Gerry McGovern soon to be knighted, JLR hoped to sell 26000 unit per year and two weeks after the launch date JLR world have taken deposits for 156000 units I would like to know what it stands at now.
Land Rover Discovery 5
Afrispoor Cheetah OFC

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

There’s no ways they only thought they’d sell 26000 units.

But in an off-road shootout I’ll be beaten by the old Defender & the Disco 2.
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

Crips

Post by Crips »

I have no time for ASPW, but he actually did a half decent video on YouTube about the new Defender, actually made me like it a little.

https://youtu.be/utZRGNCeZFM

But to be honest, they should have just called it the Disco 6 or Defender II or something.
Naming it a Defender is a bit of a slap in the face, it will never live up to its name, does not matter how good or bad it is...
Chris

2016 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 Auto
1999 Jurgens Explorer

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

It will be great off road.
If you decide to take it out of the city, you better have plenty of airtime on your sat phone.
The Jimny will still kick its arse.

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Way to many electronics , but i suppose its the future for all cars. Plus very expensive .

Estee

Post by Estee »

The new Defender is an awesome piece of kit and fulfills its design brief to cater to a market segment within the confines of legislation.

The Grenadier sets out to catch the more utilitarian consumer segment but will also have to conform within the confines of legislation.

This legislation component is what drives a lot of the operational technology within vehicles particularly regarding emissions and safety. The rest of the technology is, possibly, gratuitous on behalf of the manufacturers and though it might affect the operational aspects of the vehicle, it might not be required , yet.

While the legislative drivers represent noble aspirations there is one aspect that isnt being mentioned. The ''white'' elephant in the room as it were. The legislative basis for modern vehicles represents a 1st World view and has in effect, put reliable, functional and utilitarian vehicles out of reach of developing countries particularly in areas where a rugged, simplistic and reliable vehicle is required due to a lack of 1st World infrastructure.

In short, these countries are, unintentionally no doubt, being marginalised. This is where manufacturers like Mahindra have the opportunity to grow their market share. Enter the Force Gurkha.

I am quite happy to divulge at this juncture, that I have managed to assemble a group of interested financial backers who conceptually see the potential benefits of a utilitarian vehicle along the lines of the Force Gurkha for the African market and who are currently assisting in the development of the commercial aspects of such a project involving this manufacturer. I can say that SKD and Mauritius possibly play a role as does the concept of a distribution and support network based on an ''Owners Club'' format in the initial phases.

While, as with any new contemplated commercial venture, this might not complete the course, keep your eyes peeled for one or two Force Gurkhas on the road or off it for that matter, particularly the Xtreme variants.

If there are any club members who might be interested in taking a punt on owning such a vehicle, drop me a pm.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

The New Defender is designed and built for challenging and difficult terrain ...
... it will overcome and ultimately win-over even the most naive of critics in both real & web-wheeler worlds alike ..
( even the ‘ Buzz Lightyear ‘. above, with his Jimny, will fast become a convert and ardent supporter ... ! )

Think of the reception the Disco 1 received on first appearance compared with the respect it has earned & now enjoys ...

https://expeditionportal.com/the-new-de ... the-world/

Last edited by BushWacker on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Estee

Post by Estee »

BushWacker wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 am
The New Defender is designed and built for challenging and difficult terrain ...
... it will overcome and ultimately win-over even the most naive of critics in both real & web-wheeler worlds alike ..

No doubt, but I dont see the farmer loading bales of hay, a broken tractor engine and a bunch of piglets into it to take to town. The new Defender has moved beyond that market segment into another.

This debate is not really about vehicles or brands, it is much wider and revolves around market segments, utility, reliability and more importantly, maintainability in less than developed environments.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

... well ...
Same price as the new Toyota Namib Special Ed.
... even Manny will take the new Defender ...
but, yes, he will only use it Saturday night
... to go to Spur.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

tgwinduna RIP

Post by tgwinduna RIP »

Bushwacker,

Hi. No doubt I would not like to load a bale of hay into my new Defender 110. Thats why I kept my old 110 pup for that just until 2021 when the new 120 pup will be launched and like wise the 130 double cab. Right, there are three varieties on the line , 90, 110 and 130 station wagons. Just as a matter of interest the connotation of 90 is no longer 90 inches between the front and rear hubs wheel base, the actual is 100 inches equivalent to the original Range Rover Sport. The 110 and 130 both have the wheelbase of 120 inches although the 130 body is longer.

The demand for the current line up is so huge and it is probably going to delay the release of the Pick up and double cab.
Land Rover Discovery 5
Afrispoor Cheetah OFC

Estee

Post by Estee »

BushWacker wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:05 am

... to go to Spur.
The Porra goes to spur? :shock:

Verraaier