Erin Bosch, Insurance

Amarok v6 experiences

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Mal Hannes

Amarok v6 experiences

Post by Mal Hannes »

I have some thoughts on the Amarok after 1 month and 6000kms.

Maybe this will be boring for most but here goes in any case.

On-road it is unbelievable. I have done two long-distance weekend trips with it and can't fault it on tar.
The driving position for 6 to 8-hour drives is better than the Hilux and better than most cars. My wife has had some operations and long-distance has become a no-no for her. In the Amarok, she does a lot better. My knees could never quite find a comfortable place in the Hilux.

Obviously passing trucks etc is a breeze.

Off-Road, mhh, here I have not felt comfortable pushing it at all. I have not done any mods and due to this, I am very careful. I did get it properly stuck in Lesotho on a river crossing and realized I have to treat it different to the Hilux. I don't have recovery points either which makes getting stuck dangerous. It is lower than the Hilux which suits mandy more for clambering in and out so lifting it not the plan at the moment.

Gravel, in Lesotho I did a 200 odd km and in the karoo this weekend I did some gravel driving. It is quiet and sure-footed but I can't say better than the Hilux in 4x4 on gravel. The off-road abs etc makes it better but you don't realize they are there if you are not driving on the limit, which I was not doing.

Now a negative. The blue paint has more ugly scratches on after 6000km ( The bakkie has 31000km on in total) than what the White Hilux had after nearly 100 000km. When loading suitcases in the back it just touched the tailgate and resulted in scratches. Where the canopy closes against the tailgate there are ugly scuff marks. On the roof, when I was stuck in the river and had to climb through the window, I somehow scratched it. I am becoming much more serious about protecting it, will have to do some clear wrap or something.

The engine and gearbox is a smile maker but I think I am more and more leaning towards the idea of a VW V6 with a Ford Raptor body.

I will do mods in years to come and will have to get to know it before I can really enjoy it off-road.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Summary: It are a very lekker PlatKar...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Is Mal Hannes the boertjie Mad Manny?

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

Nee!

Daar is net een Mal en dis ek.

Bosvark Kzn

Post by Bosvark Kzn »

Hannes, die blou is baie mooi (myne is ook blou), maar jy kyk net skeef na hom dan het hy ‘n krap merk op. Ek het ‘n dag na ek myne gekry het, VPS laat doen, nie goedkoop nie, maar beslis die oplossing as jy soos ek nie van ‘n ding met krap merke en “stone chips hou nie. En as jy hom die dag verkoop, trek jy die VPS af en hy lyk splinternuut.
1972 LR S2A
1976 LR S3
2011 LR Puma
2012 LR Puma
2014 LR Puma
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU
2017 Amarok Extreme V6