The House Doctor

Does it make sense to buy the Ranger Raptor?

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Flipside

Post by Flipside »

Will it get stolen as rapidly as the Rangers? That will cancel it off my list.
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

cor123

Post by cor123 »

Seems like they used the same 4x4 system as the discovery,s ( mud and rut , sand , rock crawling etc) borrowed from LR ? If so should really be awesome 500nm and 136 kw most probably more than a old toppie like me can handle , good looking as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cor123

Post by cor123 »

Flipside wrote:Will it get stolen as rapidly as the Rangers? That will cancel it off my list.
Apparently they come out standard with a 357 magnum in the cabby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oppies3800

Post by Oppies3800 »

I would not mind expropriating one...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Could this be sarcasm?

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Put a 3.5 EcoBoost in it and I will trade the 200 Cruiser for it
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Mike Nel wrote:Put a 3.5 EcoBoost in it and I will trade the 200 Cruiser for it
We all know you never really liked the 200
Flex is overrated

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Mike Nel wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 pm
Put a 3.5 EcoBoost in it and I will trade the 200 Cruiser for it
Well then, the GX200 is safe.
Because not even the US is getting the 3.5...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

KurtG wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 pm
Mike Nel wrote:Put a 3.5 EcoBoost in it and I will trade the 200 Cruiser for it
We all know you never really liked the 200
I love the 200
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

grips

Post by grips »

I have had heard different versions of stories doing the rounds on the Raptors ability in sand/dunes. First guy told me it does not impress. Then yesterday I talked to Jerard Olivier from Upington. Jerard is a frequent winner of 4x4 competitions country wide. Owner of a very nice FJ Cruiser.
According to him the Raptor drivers were greenies. He took the Raptor for a test in the dunes at Goerapan. His words there is no 4x4 out there that even gets close to the handling of the Raptor. His precise word, No stock Pick Up from the floor will get close in the dunes.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

grips wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 am
I have had heard different versions of stories doing the rounds on the Raptors ability in sand/dunes. First guy told me it does not impress. Then yesterday I talked to Jerard Olivier from Upington. Jerard is a frequent winner of 4x4 competitions country wide. Owner of a very nice FJ Cruiser.
According to him the Raptor drivers were greenies. He took the Raptor for a test in the dunes at Goerapan. His words there is no 4x4 out there that even gets close to the handling of the Raptor. His precise word, No stock Pick Up from the floor will get close in the dunes.
that's pretty much the story of any vehicle rating

No brand fan is going to be impressed by another make. You see guys being taken for a ride around Nurburgring by a real driver in a full race saloon with a passenger seat and they'll get out and go - 'yeah, but my (whatever) would be better if I put slicks on it - and they believe it.

Small turbo diesels are actually rubbish in offroad conditions - you've got to keep the revs up and the engine working to have torque on hand. but iIF you can drive it, it's going to be as good as any other small engined turbo, and if you read the manual and work how to lock it into a gear (if possible) then you'll always outperform some chop who reckons his tractor badged pick up is the ultimate in vehicles.

You just need an impartial skilled guy to do the driving and the rating.

It's hard to believe that the Real Raptor with proper gearing and properly rated performance shocks is going to be outperformed by a more mundane vehicle with - at best - generic upgrade shocks and bigger tyres - certainly nothing in it's class that is new and off the floor is going to stick with it in Sand and on dirt.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Onwards

Post by Onwards »

My only comment is that all the rave revues was how great it performs at spped in sand type conditions. Even Ford launch in Oz was about high speed sand driving.

I have no doubt it will be extremely capable for that type of application, maybe best in class as claimed.

But

The amount of time I spend doing high speed in sand conditions is so limited, maybe never.

The question for me thus remains, is it really a worthwile to consider as a general use family 4x4 dc? Maybe can even add, at any price

kind regards,
Andries

Prof

Post by Prof »

I would not buy it for the general family use....if I had the bucks.

....but I would buy it to play with....all the time :mrgreen:
'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
'02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

So, I popped into Kelfords in SW today to look at one.

I have to say, it looks the business, and it's loaded.

The Exterior has widened fenders on the front and on the load bin, obviously the wider wheel base, lift and 33x11,5s - didn't look at the rim size.

Rear Steel bumper with integrated tow bar included - and PROPER recovery points. Front Bumper is plastic but chunky and also has 2 PROPER recovery points. skid plates underneath it look robust too....

Inside - it's actually very nice. Leather dash and seats etc is very neatly done. electric seats, seat heaters, impressive Nav unit are all standard, keyless entry, push button start etc. Things like the glove box catches are a bit cheap feeling which is okay. it's not a rolls royce.

but - it's tasteful while being good looking. the Old Raptor dash really looked like a bad acid trip crossed with bad anime. in comparison to the Fish finder plastic blandness of a high end hilux and the sheer tedious audiness of a Amarok it's really nice.

it's got a proper 'Manual' position on the 10 speed box with PROPER robust paddle shifts made of cast alu behind the wheel - not some crappy push button you can't get your thumb on - really nice. I couldn't drive it - they want a deposit to prove you are a serious buyer , which is fair enough. Apparently it's a proper manual function - you select the gear, it stays in that gear. NICE.

It's bloody good looking. I'm not sold on the 2.0 motor, they did offer me a drive in 2 days a Wildtrack which has the same motor and box. I just like my big petrol motors, but I'll take one for a run!

It's got reverse cameras, beeping sensors, lane holding , all that kak.

at 786k fully loaded (the only option is 2k for all Sticker set if you want it) it's a bit of a no brainier if you are in the market for a double cab in the price range - especially if you actually drive on dirt roads

the 2.0 Amarok is 744k in high trim, before extras. Hiliux GD6 auto is 710k but the extras you'd need to add to drive it out of the showroom with the same goodees as the Raptor will probably push it over the Raptors price - and thats before you go and put on proper tyres, some bash plates, cheapy lift (never mind a set of Fox and proper springs) recovery points and all the rest.

Manny won't like it because it doesn't have leaf springs and drums at the back, or a Toyota badge on the front, and the agents don't offer a John Deere sticker as part of the package.

I still don't get the twin cab bakkie thing. If it was available as an Everest, I might get over the 2.0 motor. but it's certainly good value for money.
Attachments
IMG_8312.JPG
IMG_9201.JPG
IMG_9774.JPG
IMG_9221.JPG
IMG_6058.JPG
IMG_7224.JPG

Oppies3800

Post by Oppies3800 »

Stickers look kak

Could this be sarcasm?

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Oppies3800 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 pm
Stickers look kak
Agreed.

Apparently the ‘ legend ‘ guy did them.

Times must be hard .

Toyota add about ZAR50k for a set of those ...