Maxxis Tyres

Why never a Hummer?

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Mike Nel

Why never a Hummer?

Post by Mike Nel »

People always ask on any given Forum what they should replace their current vehicle with.

They normally give their preferences but are given one or seven alternatives by other people

But never, unless I missed it, never have I seen anyone give the Hummer as an alternative.

Why is this?
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

There aren't that many around, so I don't think many people know much about them.

Oppies3800

Post by Oppies3800 »

If I wanted a hummer, I would call your sister... lol
Could this be sarcasm?

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

Do one still get Hummers? I think they were never very popular to begin with. And there weren't that many sold either.
But to be honest I don't know much about these things.
Suzuki Jimny - Hobbit Car :cry:

Erin

Post by Erin »

A number of insurers will no longer cover Hummers due the scarcity and cost of parts / spares.

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

There are a few Hummers on Gumtree, but not many.
Suzuki Jimny - Hobbit Car :cry:

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

I think Hummers suffered mainly from an image problem & they weren’t very PC with the eco-mentalists.

But they actually aren’t a bad 4x4. As far as the H3 goes, it’s got a funny 5 cyl engine that doesn’t produce a lot of power to propel its big body that weighs over 2 tons. But the power wasn’t bad, just that the body is big.

It’s underpinnings are basically a 80’s Chevy Tahoe. It’s chassis is about the same configuration as your average bakkie. But it’s damn strong & well built.

Offroad visibility isn’t great due to the military style smaller windows.

But it has great offroad angles & ground clearance. It’s also one of the few vehicles with OEM recovery points. The terrain system was also good.

The Adventures spec was pretty good because it had a locker, very low gearing & I think it had bigger tyres & better undercarriage protection, etc.

A mate of mine had one of the early versions in their convoy doing a trail, when they first came out. They drove off camber & the Hummer thought it was having an accident. So the airbags fired, knocking the driver unconscious. But there was apparently a recall on that.

I wouldn’t mind having that 5.2 or 5.3 V8 H3. It’s well over 200kw.

I reckon they’ll be worth a few RRR in a few years time, as vehicles get softer & softer.

Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

There are TWO Hummers in the 4x4 AG Club.
Subaki & LX.
They were both at the Skid Pan day.

They do a few Hummer Club outings every year.

I'll go call them...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Mad Manny wrote:There are TWO Hummers in the 4x4 AG Club.

I'll go call them...
What are you going to call them? I hope it’s not too homophobic

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

I see they have leafs at the back

I see one or two now and again.

Being a product of GM, I can understand that they didn’t sell very well. The Trailblazer also springs to mind.

But I like a Hummer. It’s different, just like an FJ.
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Sabaki

Post by Sabaki »

Well, thanks Manny. I have had my HUMMER H3 since 2012. I have used and abused it over the years, having done, and continuing to do so, anything between 4 to 6 trails per annum. I bought it at 78000km, and as I type this, my wife is currently driving it, just shy of 257000km. Owning a HUMMER H3 is not expensive, and I will explain below;

1. The oil change intervals are 20000km.
2. The air filter change intervals are 40000km, depending on condition.
3. The transmission (Dexron VI), transfer case (Dexron VI), steering box (Dexron VI), and differentials oil change intervals are all 80000km.
4. Spark plugs change intervals, 80000km.

Fuel tank capacity, 87-litres, of which myself and a few others get between 11 to 14l/100km. Yes, a HUMMER H3 can consume less than say, a Jeep Cherokee.

As others have mentioned elsewhere, the rear suspension is leaf springs (I like them, no bugs, no airbags) and front is IFS with torsion bars. You can, easily, without a lift kit, slap on 35" on a HUMMER H3 straight off the factory floor. Mine, and a few others, are on 315/75/17 tyres. GM is probably not known for good cars, but this thing is built tough.

Servicing them is not a problem either, we have found ways since GM left the country. It is not difficult at all as we have a fairly close-knit HUMMER community with a lot of IP on the cars - we know them. I am happy to answer any further questions on the cars, which in my view, are undiscovered and largely unknown gems.
2007 HUMMER H3 Adventure, 3.7-litre, Inline 5-potter, 4.03:1 Transfer Case Ratio, 4.56:1 Diff Ratios

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Sabaki wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm
Well, thanks Manny. I have had my HUMMER H3 since 2012. I have used and abused it over the years, having done, and continuing to do so, anything between 4 to 6 trails per annum. I bought it at 78000km, and as I type this, my wife is currently driving it, just shy of 257000km. Owning a HUMMER H3 is not expensive, and I will explain below;

1. The oil change intervals are 20000km.
2. The air filter change intervals are 40000km, depending on condition.
3. The transmission (Dexron VI), transfer case (Dexron VI), steering box (Dexron VI), and differentials oil change intervals are all 80000km.
4. Spark plugs change intervals, 80000km.

Fuel tank capacity, 87-litres, of which myself and a few others get between 11 to 14l/100km. Yes, a HUMMER H3 can consume less than say, a Jeep Cherokee.

As others have mentioned elsewhere, the rear suspension is leaf springs (I like them, no bugs, no airbags) and front is IFS with torsion bars. You can, easily, without a lift kit, slap on 35" on a HUMMER H3 straight off the factory floor. Mine, and a few others, are on 315/75/17 tyres. GM is probably not known for good cars, but this thing is built tough.

Servicing them is not a problem either, we have found ways since GM left the country. It is not difficult at all as we have a fairly close-knit HUMMER community with a lot of IP on the cars - we know them. I am happy to answer any further questions on the cars, which in my view, are undiscovered and largely unknown gems.
In my head you sound like schwarzenegger...
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Thanks for the feedback Sabaki. Although comparing consumption to a Cherokee isn’t setting the bar very high 🤣.

Do you have the Adventure spec? I think that spec comes with 33’s as stock?

Sabaki

Post by Sabaki »

Yes, I have the Adventure. In South Africa, these vehicles all came out standard with 265/75/16s.

But as I mentioned, you can put on 35s easily on the vehicles.

On the issue of insurance, I am not aware of any issues at all. I've been with MiWay, then FNB insurance, to my current offroad insurer that I'm very happy with.

And I know at least 3 or 4 other friends who are insured by the same, all at very good rates. I would argue that HUMMER H3s are some of the cheapest offroaders to keep.
2007 HUMMER H3 Adventure, 3.7-litre, Inline 5-potter, 4.03:1 Transfer Case Ratio, 4.56:1 Diff Ratios

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

I agree that insuring them shouldn’t be an issue. Plenty of companies will insure them.