Healthy Sleep

200Cruiser vs FJ vs Ranger T6

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Mike Nel

200Cruiser vs FJ vs Ranger T6

Post by Mike Nel »

I have been fortunate or unfortunate depending on which way you want to look at it to have owned all three.

I have driven Atlantis Dunes with all three and the FJ wins hands down. The 200 Cruiser is ok, but a heavy and bulky and not really suited for the short technical Atlantis dunes. The Ranger coped, but Atlantis Dunes is no place for a bakkie.

Overlanding in Namibia. The Cruiser 200 wins by a country mile. Towing the Ratel and eating up those dirt roads, what a pleasure. And did I mention it is comfortable? The Ranger takes second because I could pack a lot for a Namibia trip and the ride was also very comfortable. Fuel consumption was a big bonus. The FJ isn’t a overlander, but very comfortable over the dirt

Ideally I would love all 3 in my yard, and the return of the FJ is imminent.

Horses for courses I suppose, but I could definitely see a place and use for all 3 of them.

If I had too choose a favorite. Well. The FJ wins. It’s just so much fun that you forget about it’s other short comings
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Mike Nel wrote:
I have driven Atlantis Dunes with all three and the FJ wins hands down. The 200 Cruiser is ok, but a heavy and bulky and not really suited for the short technical Atlantis dunes. The Ranger coped, but Atlantis Dunes is no place for a bakkie.
But the Cruiser still has HT tyres on. It’ll be a different vehicle with a set of chunky ATs. The power is there, you can feel it.

The approach angle can improved with a bumper & bashplate. But tyres make the biggest transformation.
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Well written Mike.

I'll give you R705 000 for the GX, then you can restructure your Grudge...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'