Mikem Supsension

Turning my low mileage Fortuner into a high mileage Fortuner...

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Redman

Turning my low mileage Fortuner into a high mileage Fortuner...

Post by Redman »

I currently drive the best vehicle on the road... A paid off car.

My 2017 Toyota 2.8 4x4 Auto, just ticked over to 120,000km this week. Now after a lot of thinking and then some more overthinking, I've decided to keep driving my Fortuner for the foreseeable future. The local Toyota dealership doesn't make things easy, as the do a value assessment on your vehicle at every service and then hand you a nice document afterwards that shows you the trade value as well as expected repayments on other Toyota models...

In short, this vehicle is my daily drive to work and back (20km one direction) as well as the kids to school in the morning (3.2km to school from our house). Although the school trip is less than 5mins, the vehicle doesn't get switched off as it is a drop and go (no second cold start in the mornings - not if this really will make a huge difference, but still)

It is also used as the family car on the weekends. A lot of beach driving (about once a month) and then other gravel tracks and some 4x4'ing (I would say about once a quarter were we do a dedicated 4x4 track/route). Did some fresh water crossings on a few occasions on these tracks. Beach driving mostly below high water mark (I do a decent wash and chassis flush every time we come from the beach)

Thought I'd reach out to see what the general thoughts/advice will be on how to best approach this. Suggested items to look out for?

*Service items in next post:

Redman

Post by Redman »

Now it will be going to Toyota for the 120,000km service quite soon. This is quite a "big" service that will have the following items replaced:
  • Brake fluid
  • Front & rear diff oil
  • Air conditioner filter
  • Diesel filter (as per every service)
  • Air filter
  • Engine oil & filter
The plan is to keep servicing at Toyota for now. Although I'm pretty confident in doing my own services, I'll continue to use Toyota for now. Might do a mix of own servicing etc. going forward.

Any preventative items to add to the list? Changes to the Toyota service intervals?

Transfer case oil was done on 100,000km and due at 150,000km. For my use I'm pretty sure this will be fine?

Diff oil every 40,000k according to Toyota, again which should be fine for my usage?

Any other suggestions on servicing?

Redman

Post by Redman »

Preventative:
Any items to look at replacing before they fail? Although I don't think I'm there yet, will be nice to anticipate some items
(e.g. alternator or starter at 250,000km etc..)

Modifications:
Not off-road mods but perhaps mods to look after vehicle?
I've got a diff breather kit that I need to fit. Been laying in the garage for some time now
Oil catch can? (worth it?)
TPMS (had one in my Hilux, but need to invest in one again)
Is there value in a secondary diesel filter perhaps? Fuel quality pretty good here in Kangarooville, not like I will be filling out of a drum in rural Mozambique. But still something to consider?

Apologies for the long posts. I've been wanting to ask this for a while now and only got around now.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I'd replace the steering fluid.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Preventative:

Never touch a running system. If you don’t have any issues now, don’t go scratching where it doesn’t itch.

Modifications:

Oil catch can? (worth it?) - On a modern Diesel I don’t think it’s worth it.

TPMS (had one in my Hilux, but need to invest in one again)
I’d definitely consider this. Have retrofitted a CAWE to the Duster. Works with Apple CarPlay. Awesome.

I also think Stick to the service intervals, potentially even bring it down to 7.500km.

On my Disco V8, I did an Oil Change every 7.500km, with an Engine Flush every 15.0000km.

On the GWM it seems fresh oil every 5.000km. Dealer services every 10.000km, so I basically do an oil change at the half way point. Duster needs a service every 15.000km (!) but it also sees fresh oil every 7.500km.
2019 Renault Duster - Prestige
2023 GWM P-Series LS - Wuhan Warrior
2009 Echo 4 Off-Roader - Glamper

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I love Disco Nic (who doesn't own a Disco) like a brother from another mother, BUT.... his advice are k@k.

WHY did we, in the old days, change oil every 5000km or 7500km on Diesels?

Three reasons:
1. Engines weren't as well made as today with 'looser' tolerances.
2. Oils weren't as good.
3. Diesel had MUCH higher Sulfur content (up to 5000ppm in the 1970's, in fact, SA once had 8000ppm diesel).

So the Sulfur would leak past the piston (& rings) & contaminate the oil.
Sulfur is a lubricant - but it breaks down the viscosity of oil.

So we changed oil more often.

In a modern motor like Redmans GD6 which,
uses low sulfur diesel (I think Oz has 15ppm, less than the 5000ppm we had 50 years ago or the 500ppm we had 10 years ago)
with modern high spec oil...
there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to replace oil more frequently than every 10 000km.
In Europe some diesels run on 30 000km service intervals.

So, just stick to 10 000km, especially in Oz...

Redman

Post by Redman »

Thanks Wuhan Nic and Manny...

Very valid points. We run very clean diesel here in the colony. Current spec is 10ppm, but apparently it's a lot closer to 5ppm. Will stick to 10,000km which I think is even a little over service. But happy with that.

I'm not sold on the oil catch can, thus the reason for asking.

Had the CAWE on my Hilux and actually thought of bringing some over when I recently paid a short visit to the Republic. But Oricom makes a decent TPMS which I'll give a go. Will most likely fit a Oricom UHF in the Fortuner in the future so might just order it together.

Power steering fluid is still bright red. However perhaps replace it along with brake fluid. Haven't done brakes since I bought it in March 2022, but still like to see the brake fluid changed about once every 2 years.

Thanks again kind folk. Appreciate the input

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Mad Manny wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:57 am

[SIC]

In a modern motor like Redmans GD6 which,
uses low sulfur diesel (I think Oz has 15ppm, less than the 5000ppm we had 50 years ago or the 500ppm we had 10 years ago)
with modern high spec oil...
there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to replace oil more frequently than every 10 000km.

Those TDV6s sure did well on 24kkm oil change intervals… as do the VWs, Stellantis Motors, or Fords… especially those new fangled ones that have their timing belts running in oil…

You will never ever tell me that more oil changes will damage your motor. I find 15kkm to be the Max I’d ever run a motor on… Diesel or Petrol.

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Just for interest sake, I’m on a German Mechanic forums with some REALLY knowledgeable people… someone posted this.

30k km Service interval. 55k km on clock. Peugeot Diesel motor. Timing Belt runs in oil.

Say what you want. 5000km or 7500km oil changes are not going to hurt your engine. Maybe the wallet, but definitely not your engine.

🤷🏽‍♂️
Attachments
a69d1ddf-6699-4f10-8d31-b9cee3eb4078.jpeg

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

A PeeJoe would look like that even if you changed oil daily..

Redman is asking about a Toyota, not Euro Trash....

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Mad Manny wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:17 pm
A PeeJoe would look like that even if you changed oil daily..

Redman is asking about a Toyota, not Euro Trash....
Mad Manny wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:57 am
I

So, just stick to 10 000km, especially in Oz...

We all know that you deflect when you know that you lost the argument… 😁

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Redman wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:21 pm
Thanks Wuhan Nic and Manny...

Very valid points. We run very clean diesel here in the colony. Current spec is 10ppm, but apparently it's a lot closer to 5ppm. Will stick to 10,000km which I think is even a little over service. But happy with that.

I'm not sold on the oil catch can, thus the reason for asking.

Had the CAWE on my Hilux and actually thought of bringing some over when I recently paid a short visit to the Republic. But Oricom makes a decent TPMS which I'll give a go. Will most likely fit a Oricom UHF in the Fortuner in the future so might just order it together.

Power steering fluid is still bright red. However perhaps replace it along with brake fluid. Haven't done brakes since I bought it in March 2022, but still like to see the brake fluid changed about once every 2 years.

Thanks again kind folk. Appreciate the input
I just remembered something, re preventative maintenance.

EGRs cause all sorts of havoc and unhappiness in a motor. Have your intake scoped, and get the charcoal in your intake media blasted.

Back in Germany we did it in situ, with walnut shells… if you take the heads off, then anything could work… but if you are over 100k km, I’d strongly consider it.
Attachments
IMG_1658.jpeg

Bugjuic

Post by Bugjuic »

My input.

Service regularly with good quality oil, never mix synthetic oil and mineral oil, blocks oil pickup. Thus keep on using the same oil the whole time and service every 10k km.

Oil catch is something I would most definitely fit. Proven itself over and over. Or buy a real vehicle (petrol) :lol: :lol: :lol:

But the one thing you are seriously missing and no one talks about, is the Auto Box! 120k km driving for your style of driving is the perfect time to change the ATF oil and strainer. If you start pushing the limits of your vehicle often, change it every 60-80k km. If you leave it to over 200k km, best not to change it, because the 'grit' in the oil is the only thing keeping it working.

It is one of the most missed items, and Toyota may state 'sealed' or 'lifetime' gearbox. But if you have a look at the fine print, they define the lifespan of an Auto as 200k km... BUT if serviced at 100-120k km regularly can reach 500k km without having to open.

If I say change ATF oil, I do not mean drain the 4l in the sump, I mean flush out the complete 12l and change out the strainer!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1607

If you wanna bore yourself, read the article I posted above, where I get a bit nerdy on Autoboxes...
It's all relative...
Peet Kruger
2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Not checking the wheel bearings?

Redman

Post by Redman »

Dankie Oom Jakes!

I see Toyota has wheel bearing check at 160,000km. (seems like every 80,000km).

Something one easily overlooks that can cause a lot of headache later