Maxxis Tyres

Land Rover Disco 2 Td5 turbo issues.

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Paul#25

Land Rover Disco 2 Td5 turbo issues.

Post by Paul#25 »

On Wednesday my Disco 2 decided to let us down in a cloud of white smoke. We had left home towing our Xplorer on the way to Hluhluwe. We joined the N17 and soon after the first toll gate the Disco seemed to be loosing a bit of power. It got progressively worse as I took the first off ramp and found a place to stop at a small shopping center in the back end of Benoni. I plugged in the Nanocom and checked all the different computers for faults but there weren't any logged. All the valve positions and pressures in the auto gearbox were good. At this point I wasn't sure what the problem was. We decided to get home and see where we went from there. A few km down the road I saw a huge cloud of white smoke behind us so I stopped immediately. There was nothing leaking out underneath the Disco so I started the motor again. It reved up freely from idle but put up a smokescreen that could probably be seen from space. I phoned Discovery Insurance and requested a flatbed tow truck that could tow the caravan as well. About 15 minutes later the tow truck was there with us. We took the whole lot home and parked the Disco in the naughty corner. After transferring the necessary things over to my VW Touran, we hitched up the caravan and set off for our holiday again. I know I'm pushing the limits on towing the Xplorer with the Touran but it was either that or cancel our trip and miss Susan's niece's wedding.
Anyway, when we get home I'll tackle the Disco and see exactly what went wrong. From what chain of events and the cloud of white smoke the most likely culprit is the turbo that has failed. I'm hoping there is no additional damage to the motor as the intercooler has hopefully caught any pieces of the turbo before they got to the intake of the motor. There was no oil pushed into the new catch tank that I had fitted to the breather system so that is a good sign that there's no engine damage.
We get back home on the 10th, so till then I can't give any more info. I'm now reassuring turbo rebuild kits to see how much everything costs and the availability locally or if I'll have to import the spares.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

That's a bummer Paul.

Hope you still have a good holiday. And that the whatever is broken is not too costly.

Cheers

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Sorry to hear Paul...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Stallion Turbos in Pretoria. Solid bunch.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Turbo Mike Steyn in Edenvale.
4km from you.

I'll send you his details....

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Thanks for the info everyone. To bring a repair kit in from the UK will cost me £150 excluding courier so I'd prefer to get something locally if it's available.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Stallion understands variable vane turbos

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

jakeslouw wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:02 pm
Stallion Turbos in Pretoria. Solid bunch.
Only turbos tho,'. The rest they fcuk up.
They wont see me soon again .
Sorry , but thats the truth.
I also had a problem with a Audi 1.6tdi.
Was advised by work friend to have it taken there, three days later they call me to ask whats wrong with car as the computer did not show any faults :shock: I asked them if they checked the fuel pump .
Only then they found mistake ?
That they also fcuked up.
Diesel was leaking under back seat.
I told them . They said mistakes happen. :shock:
The also lost the cover at back of my Audi where you fit the tow hitch.
But they don't care - they got their money. :oops:

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Interesting...

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Mad Manny wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:39 am
Turbo Mike Steyn in Edenvale.
4km from you.

I'll send you his details....
Would rather go this route !

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Here's the next installment in the saga of the Disco's turbo.
I phoned around looking for an off the shelf turbo that I could buy. This was because when I stripped the turbo out of the Disco, the damage to the hot side of the turbo was significant. The turbine wheel was completely free floating inside the turbine housing. You could see pieces of the bearing carrier through the oil drain port. Most of the places I phoned didn't have one in stock but said that they would phone me back, none of them have.
I took Manny's advice and phoned Mike Steyn at Turbo Smart. He didn't have one in stock but said that I should take my one in and he'd see what he could do. They did a strip down and confirmed that the only casing of mine that could be reused was the compressor (cold side) casing. The center section was scrap and the turbine casing was damaged from the turbine wheel not being attached to the shaft anymore. He said that he could build me a reconditioned unit for R6000 which was less than half the price of a new one from Goldwagen or buying one in the UK. I paid him on Friday and collected the replacement turbo yesterday (Tuesday).
While I was waiting for the turbo, I stripped out the intercooler and pipes up to the intake manifold. There wasn't a lot of oil after the intercooler so I decided not to remove the intake manifold. The glow plugs have to be remove to take off the manifold and according to quite a few different sources, the wiring loom to the plugs becomes brittle with age and the heat and is liable to break. I didn't want to add to my expenses so I've left it alone.
I found that the lower right side of the intercooler had a lot of dust and old oil clogging it. It was easy to clean this with the intercooler removed. When I checked the the radiator, the gearbox cooler, and the aircon radiator they were also clogged in the same area. It was a challenge to get them cleaned without removing them but with the help of a few home made tools and half the day I got them clean.
Tomorrow I will start putting it all back together.
20230511_134329.jpg
20230512_124056.jpg
20230512_124121.jpg
20230512_124046.jpg
20230512_124142.jpg
20230517_124454.jpg
20230516_170155.jpg
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Looks like a foreign object entered the Turbo.
Whats the mileage of your Disco II Paul?

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Manny we have looked at the most probable failure path of the turbo and ruled out the chance of it being caused by foreign object ingestion. The compressor impeller doesn't have any damage and is still attached to the shaft into the bearing housing. The damage on the turbine impeller is also not consistent with FOD. The outer edges of the vanes are curdled over from it coming into contact with the exhaust housing while spinning at extremely high speed. This indicates that the most likely start of the failure was the shaft failing. It didn't seem to have seized from lack of oil because of the oil that was pumped into the exhaust.
The Disco is a 2004 model and has done 224196km. It rolled out of the factory sometime within the last 3 months of the Disco 2 production. The production line stopped the Disco 2 in June 2004 and started with the Disco 3 a month later. The Td5 motor is a 19P model which is the last model for these motors. Most of the niggles with the Td5 motor had been sorted out by that time.
As a 20 year old vehicle with high mileage there are going to be some failures of high usage components.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

225000km is considered Miraculously high mileage for a Land Rover product.
It's like 400 000km in Isuzu miles....

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Mad Manny wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:01 pm
225000km is considered Miraculously high mileage for a Land Rover product.
It's like 400 000km in Isuzu miles....
My 1984 One Ten V8 was on 350,000kms when I sold it, original drivetrain. And it has been savaged as a trail toy and fire fighter for many years.
My 1989 110 V8 CSW was on 390,000kms when I sold it, ditto on drivetrain.

My 1996 Nissan TD27 Hardbody was on 150,000kms when the turbo died. It happens to Jap vehicles as well.