Healthy Sleep

The Long-Term GWM Cannon/Poer/P-series Review Thread

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Shakedown Trip Report

So… 2000km update.

This weekend we did a very impromptu trip to Maltahöhe to go see the Sandhoff Lillies. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1824842 ... tid=S66gvF)

Left Swakopmund at 0630 and for the first 100km inland, we are driving in strong rain. Now, if you have ever driven on Namibian Salt Roads when they are wet, they are effectively a mixture of mud, snot and grease.

So, as mentioned the Wuhan Warrior has a Borg-Warner Torque on Demand system, which basically sends torque to the front as and when needed. And the system works VERY well! 80km/h on those wet muddy roads and the Bakkie stayed straight and true. I tried getting the ass to rotate, and it would correct itself almost instantly. Very confidence inspiring.

Same story on gravel, in corners it grips nicely and doesn’t allow any shenanigans, or sideways tomfoolery. I think in combination with those Radar Tires, it’s probably the nicest handling Bakkie on gravel I’ve driven. Won’t hold a candle to the Disco 2, but it’s not too far off either.

The suspension is… bouncy. About 75% of the roads were freshly graded, so doing 90km/h felt like driving on tar… but the other 25% were a fairly bouncy affair. Yes, I know it’s a Bakkie… just not used to it after nearly 10 years in SUV’s. Suspension is firm so the Zinkplaats make themselves known. The Road between Rostock Ritz, through Gaub and Kuiseb Canyon was bad. From Kuiseb to the Salt Road was even worse. Car bounced around quite violently, and we had to reduce speed down to 40-60km/h. Definitely needs some suspension work… soon. Seats were comfortable though, and definitely made up for a lot of bounce…

What really annoyed me was the traction control… it was definitely designed by a millennial, because it’s extremely sensitive. Acceleration out of corners, or when cresting a hill will see the TC intervene and cut all power, and continue to cut power until you let off the throttle. Longest stint I did with TC intervention was about 15s, on relatively smooth gravel… and deactivating it doesn’t work… it stays off for about 30s and then kicks back on… really annoying.

Another “issue” I’ve noticed, was the gearbox. I praised it earlier, and on tar at highway speeds it is sublime. On gravel, at speeds of 80-100km/h, it seemed confused. It constantly wants to be in 8th, even if that means pottering about at 1250rpm. Slightest incline, bump, or bit of sand and it would start hunting between 6th, 7th and 8th. You feel it change gear, stay in lower gear for a beat and then back to 8th. And repeat. Solved it by sticking it in sport and it happily stayed in 7th, jumping into 8th only on flat sections. Not an issue per se, just an observation.

At average speed of 88km/h, over the 1000km we drove, the Bakkie did about 11l/100km. Very happy with that. Never felt like it was underpowered.

Finally, the GWM seems to attract a lot of attention. Everywhere we stopped, we had people come up and ask for impressions, opinions or to come have a look. While there are quite a few on the road, not that many are used off-road, I’m assuming. And the Remote Start Gimmick really gets people excited. 😁

We are off to Costa Rica and Mexico for a month. When I’m back, I’m going to start tackling the dual battery system and fridge slide build out. Have an idea (and a very capable auto-elechicken on hand), so will work on this when I’m back.
Attachments
4F7BBB6A-2294-47C0-ACCE-FEBBF29ADED7.jpeg
1D3DDE20-B4D3-47AC-A131-108C19F7D476.jpeg
41DE24E0-1AE1-4E2C-A98C-3D040BAE8755.jpeg
97C3367F-832D-4F86-9CAA-9C99CAF7A76B.jpeg
BEEC5E27-3F0A-4B9D-AEB3-009D584E588C.jpeg
8B74E1CA-7354-4089-8428-3B920FEBC228.jpeg

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Very well written report Nanjing Nic.

I have never understood why manufacturers make Gearboxes with more than 5 or 6 gears.
It was started by those Bratwurst & Lederhosen Krauts now everyone does it.

PS: Time to change your Forum name...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Disco Nic wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:53 pm
First 1000km update:

The Wuhan Warrior is going well, the engine feels smoother and more responsive the more I drive it. Still has terrible lag though. 🤣

Fuel consumption average is sitting at 10l/100, which includes the beach driving we did yesterday evening to go fishing.

New tires are on and they seem to have settled down the harshness over bumps a little bit, and made the vehicle a lot more capable.

Not all good though. Currently have a terrible rattle from underneath the passenger side center, assuming it’s a heat shield.

And the left license plate lamp is damaged (and not detected during PDI) so I’m having that sorted next week.

And the TPMS is throwing a Manny Sized Hissy fit about my tires being at 1.8 bar, but much like the real Manny, I choose to ignore it. 😁

Quick update on the rattle:

GWM fits a fuel filter underneath the cab, Pupkewitz Namibia fits a secondary filter next to the chassis rail… this secondary filter caused the rattle at slow speeds. Moved the bracket half an inch, and rattle is gone. Now only has a rattle from the tonneau cover, but that was fitted by a round eye so not GWM’s fault. 🤣
2019 Renault Duster - Prestige
2023 GWM P-Series LS - Wuhan Warrior
2009 Echo 4 Off-Roader - Glamper

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Quick Update:

Was gone for 35 days, and didn't find any oil leaks underneath upon my return...

Coming from a Land Rover this was concerning.

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Disco Nic wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:13 pm
Quick Update:

Was gone for 35 days, and didn't find any oil leaks underneath upon my return...

Coming from a Land Rover this was concerning.
My experience was that my Land Rovers would break while I was sleeping, so I'm happy that your Fong Yong special still works.

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

5000km update:

First service done by HAVAL Windhoek, consisting of an oil flush and a filter change. They come with 15W40 Break in oil from the factory and are changed to 5W30 after 5000km.

I have noticed some surprising changes in performance. Motor feels looser, and pulls a bit better. Biggest change I have seen though is in Fuel Consumption. Was averaging around 12l/100 mixed driving, and since the service I am returning 10.5l/100km, with it improving tank for tank. Doing a 5000km road trip in a few weeks, so will be monitoring this very closely.

The interior space in this bakkie still surprises me! I got to i.e. was threatened with a fork to drive Manny around while he was here... sure am glad I got this instead of a Hilux, as we both wouldn't have fit at the same time.

Also had some mods fitted:

Wessel inspired me with his Roof Rack thread, so I went and had a set fitted. Used the Frontrunner Kit from the Hilux. The mounting tracks had to be bent a little, as the curvature of the roof differs, but apart from that it fits nicely.

Noticed that it had HUGE wind noise (imagine Manny strumming a Bass Guitar) so I had to adjust the placement of the Load Bars a bit and had the smallest wind fairing known to man fitted.

Also in the works, is a Razorback Canopy... picking that up in 2-3 weeks when I am in Cape Town. Went for a MK3 (as in pics) but mine will be Color matched across Frame and have matte black doors. Can finally get rid of that dog awful torney cover.
Attachments
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_ABB14ECF32BD-2.jpeg
This is the Mk3 Razorback Canopy.
This is the Mk3 Razorback Canopy.
PHOTO-2023-04-28-07-53-32 2.jpg

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

P-Series with Front and Rear Lockers 😱

Of Course the Adventure Model launches 6 months after I buy a vehicle… let’s see what trade-assist Haval Windhoek has to offer… 🙄🤣

GWM P-Series LTD debuts as accessory-packed flagship for under R700 000 - https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/latest-l ... d267b57baa

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

That P series seems to be a good package for the price.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

For the R54k you pay over the price of the top model, you get a lot:
Intergrated winch
Lockers
Steel bumper
A better 4x4 system
Snorkel
A 230v inverter
12v Power point in the engine bay
A few cosmetic bits...

I'm just not a fan of the 18" rims, 17's with more rubber would be better....

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

All you need to add is a 2” lift and 33s… it’ll be able to tackle some serious tracks

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

Disco Nic wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:10 pm
The doors open nice and wide (for the eventual child seats) and the “bak” is decently sized, but what’s especially important is that it’s deep. I can fit my camping fridge under the tonneau cover with space to spare.
Do you think 2 child seats would be easy in the back seats? There is space under the seats for storage right?
And what fridge are you using that fits under the Tonneau?

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

PsyPhin wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:33 pm
Disco Nic wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:10 pm
The doors open nice and wide (for the eventual child seats) and the “bak” is decently sized, but what’s especially important is that it’s deep. I can fit my camping fridge under the tonneau cover with space to spare.
Do you think 2 child seats would be easy in the back seats? There is space under the seats for storage right?
And what fridge are you using that fits under the Tonneau?
Yes, I definitely think that 2 seats will fit in there quite easily. It has 2 Isofix Points built in, with top tether points behind the backrest. Won’t be space for MIL in the middle, but the bak is huge. 😜

There is a storage nook under the seat. The seat bottom is actually a floating unit, can fit my laptop bag under there easily enough, relatively hidden out of sight. As Manny says, I have the darkest legal window tint fitted, so it works well.

I have a 45l Snowmaster, fits under the tonneau easily enough. I also tried it with a 90l NL fridge, it sticks out by the tiniest amount. The bak is HUGE.
That being said, the tonneau cover is a purchase I regret. It’s a really shit design, with the rear portion of the cover going over the tailgate. Also scratches the top of the tailgate. Will take pictures tomorrow, don’t think I’m explaining it properly. 🤣 I’ve ordered a Razorback Canopy, and will be getting rid of the tonneau as fast as I can!

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The Poer is big.
It's as big as a current Hilux.
All these modern main stream bakkies are huge.
Yet guys ask ~ can I fit this, can I fit that.
Rather worry if it'll fit in your garage.
Modern bakkies are all too large.

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Mad Manny wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:52 am
The Poer is big.
It's as big as a current Hilux.
All these modern main stream bakkies are huge.
Yet guys ask ~ can I fit this, can I fit that.
Rather worry if it'll fit in your garage.
Modern bakkies are all too large.
Funny enough, 2nd test drive I did of the Shenyang Stallion, I took it straight home and parked it in my garage. The Sales Monkey was totally and utterly flabbergasted that anyone would test that. 🤣

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

Thanks @Disco Nic for keeping a log.
I too have joined the P Series family. Maybe I also need a name for it :D